U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 2,809,774 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
yeahthatguy
Senior Member
befriend

Join Date: Jul 2009
323 posts, read 89,309 times
Reputation: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite
Statement of fact, not an attack at all, I feel for you, in fact, I have tried to give you a little fatherly advice about what is important in life, you seem to have missed it.

Have you read the book I suggested for you yet?
*gives .highnlite a hug.. I am really o.k you know ...
I don't recall what book you suggested. Can you give the title again.


B.T.W - Have you hit the slopes at all this season ? The snowpack is awesome
I spent most of 40 years plowing snow, and skiing, and plowing more snow. I did ski one day this year, and was bored within two hours.. Sad.

I will do a little ski mountaineering this spring, but I am rather done with ski resorts.

The book, and easy read; The Table Where Rich People Sit, by Byrd Baylor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 03-26-2011, 12:19 PM
 
Location: SoCal
50 posts, read 47,202 times
Reputation: 45
I don't blame Carl's Jr for wanting to move their headquarters to Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:22 PM
 
1,465 posts, read 2,405,417 times
Reputation: 776
I didn't read all the posts but this story is a few months old and I don't know of any updates. If there have been, I apologize.

But I think this article describes what is happening.

Carl's Jr. parent may move to Texas [Updated] | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:29 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,591 posts, read 17,388,677 times
Reputation: 15918
I still don't see the connection between moving corporate HQ to Texas and the extra 200k it costs to build a store in California. I'm thinking: poorly-written article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:50 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 1,355,109 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You cited a difference of 7~10% there is no way that is true. In terms of your circumstances, I can't say anything because you are being rather vague. More than likely you have a vague dream, rather than a sound business plan.

But stop wasting your time, get going. You say you're waiting to see what happens with the tax extensions, but that makes no sense. Those taxes are far to small to make a real difference.
Have a quick question... Here's a simple situation, Say someone makes : $90k
in equity markets a year trading and $40k (net) in rental income. May you define how that person would be taxed in California vs. Texas. Thanks ..

As for the tax extensions, I am watching them because beyond the (insignificant) impact it will have on my finances, it lays out more or less what -long term- direction this state is going in ... In choosing where to try to start settling down, that becomes important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:10 PM
 
11,730 posts, read 21,974,848 times
Reputation: 7032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I still don't see the connection between moving corporate HQ to Texas and the extra 200k it costs to build a store in California. I'm thinking: poorly-written article.
So much journalism is poorly written. I'm guessing the connection is that since the CA market is so much more saturated with stores than TX, moving the HQ there coincides with an expansion push in TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 1,355,109 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I spent most of 40 years plowing snow, and skiing, and plowing more snow. I did ski one day this year, and was bored within two hours.. Sad.

I will do a little ski mountaineering this spring, but I am rather done with ski resorts.

The book, and easy read; The Table Where Rich People Sit, by Byrd Baylor
Took a look at the book .. I learned all these lessons when I young and my family was poor. Maintaining these lessons, one can still enjoy life and fight those that try to oppress them via unjustified confiscation of their production. A big issue in life is complacency/stagnation. When you actually live a poor life where you sometimes can't eat a meal when you're hungry, you either learn to :
> look around and say all is beautiful and well because I have family around
> compel yourself to change your situation
or both . I was taught to take stock in what I have an appreciate it and the things that matter in life but my dad also taught me to be better than him and strive for something better in life... I did and I fought against very grim odds to make it happen.

This fight... This tenacity is born from the struggles I have endured in my life and are very much a part of me .... I took a stand when a bully tried to confiscate my lunch money while others simply choose the easier route and yielded their money (probably because that wasn't their only meal of the day). In adulthood, that stays w/ me.... So, while others would rather walk away, I stand up and fight ... Doesn't make me better.. Doesn't make them weaker... But it surely doesn't make me someone with a chip on their shoulder... There are different types of people in life and we all play a role. I was able to stand up to a bully in middle school, continue on with the rest of my day, maintain an A average, and even stop to smell the roses.. In adulthood, I am able to fight against oppressive taxes, get work don, stop and smell the roses, and still be happy ...

I don't find it constructive to call me names.... Make fun of me .. Call me angry.. Make assumptions about my personal character just because I am taking a stand..... It's o.k if others don't want to .. They are every bit within their right ... But to attack me just because I do ... I simply don't get.

Again, the fight was born in me from my struggles ... The ones defined in this book .. Sun/Roses and enjoying what you have don't put food on the table. Someone has to work for it and ensure it isn't stolen in transit back to the house ... In my walk to and from work, I take many occasions to appreciate the beauty around me .. And even as I stand up to a bully and the people who don't want to confront 'it', I am able to appreciate the many beauties of life.. There is no such mutual exclusion which prevents someone from enjoying life and appreciating it while standing up to foolishness. I think that's something a book written for age groups under 10 would fail to communicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
5,199 posts, read 3,017,512 times
Reputation: 3024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I still don't see the connection between moving corporate HQ to Texas and the extra 200k it costs to build a store in California. I'm thinking: poorly-written article.

Right now, Carls Jr is barely in Texas, Im sure they're planning major expansion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2011, 03:09 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,591 posts, read 17,388,677 times
Reputation: 15918
I get that part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 2,809,774 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Took a look at the book .. I learned all these lessons when I young and my family was poor. Maintaining these lessons, one can still enjoy life and fight those that try to oppress them via unjustified confiscation of their production. A big issue in life is complacency/stagnation. When you actually live a poor life where you sometimes can't eat a meal when you're hungry, you either learn to :
> look around and say all is beautiful and well because I have family around
> compel yourself to change your situation
or both . I was taught to take stock in what I have an appreciate it and the things that matter in life but my dad also taught me to be better than him and strive for something better in life... I did and I fought against very grim odds to make it happen.

This fight... This tenacity is born from the struggles I have endured in my life and are very much a part of me .... I took a stand when a bully tried to confiscate my lunch money while others simply choose the easier route and yielded their money (probably because that wasn't their only meal of the day). In adulthood, that stays w/ me.... So, while others would rather walk away, I stand up and fight ... Doesn't make me better.. Doesn't make them weaker... But it surely doesn't make me someone with a chip on their shoulder... There are different types of people in life and we all play a role. I was able to stand up to a bully in middle school, continue on with the rest of my day, maintain an A average, and even stop to smell the roses.. In adulthood, I am able to fight against oppressive taxes, get work don, stop and smell the roses, and still be happy ...

I don't find it constructive to call me names.... Make fun of me .. Call me angry.. Make assumptions about my personal character just because I am taking a stand..... It's o.k if others don't want to .. They are every bit within their right ... But to attack me just because I do ... I simply don't get.

Again, the fight was born in me from my struggles ... The ones defined in this book .. Sun/Roses and enjoying what you have don't put food on the table. Someone has to work for it and ensure it isn't stolen in transit back to the house ... In my walk to and from work, I take many occasions to appreciate the beauty around me .. And even as I stand up to a bully and the people who don't want to confront 'it', I am able to appreciate the many beauties of life.. There is no such mutual exclusion which prevents someone from enjoying life and appreciating it while standing up to foolishness. I think that's something a book written for age groups under 10 would fail to communicate.

A bit defensive? Don't bother explaining how tough your life was, nobody really cares.

Have you read it? That book, is very Buddhist in outlook, you can dismiss it as a book written for 'age groups under 10" but generally profound truths are simple enough for a child to understand. I tend to agree with it, the only jobs fit for men are jobs where, when it rains, you get wet. When the sun shines, you sweat, where you take a shower after work, not before work.

You are young, you still have time to be a man, but you need to get out of your cubicle.



While I am at it, are you a Veteran?
Did you serve your country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top