U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 PM

250 posts, read 182,124 times
Well, no, I wasn't taking a swipe at blue collar folks at all. I was more or less taking a swipe at how Carl Jr commercials seem pretty patronizing to young men, simply noting that the featured actors are dressed in clothes that signal physical labor instead of suits. And was just being a little tongue in cheek to lighten the mood a bit- no offense meant. Geesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
So basically you wont address the issue as to why the headquarters is relocating and instead come up with a hair-brained analysis which entails taking a swipe at blue collar people. Way to add to the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,189,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Well, no I wasn't taking a swipe at blue collar folks at all. I was more or less taking a swipe at how the commercials seem pretty patronizing to young men, simply noting that the featured actors are dressed in clothes that signal physical labor instead of suits. And was just being a little tongue in cheek to lighten the mood a bit- no offense meant.
So the one with the maloofs signifies physical labor? Or the girl from "The hills/laguna beach" tv show? Or the surfer?

Again, seems more like you have an axe to grind with blue collar people who like to eat burgers. Do you drive a prius???

Old 03-23-2011, 09:18 PM

250 posts, read 182,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
So the one with the maloofs signifies physical labor? Or the girl from "The hills/laguna beach" tv show? Or the surfer?

Again, seems more like you have an axe to grind with blue collar people who like to eat burgers. Do you drive a prius???
Well, as a matter of fact I like a good burger every now and then, and also like blue collar people (and think many of them are brighter and work harder than white collar types- but quite a few white collar types are good folks and hard workers, too). No, I don't drive a Prius, nor do I particularly care for them, but that's just me.

Seriously, my post wasn't meant to be some sort of class warfare. I think maybe it was taken too seriously or taken personally for some reason. I just find this response odd and confusing. And in case you are the writer for the ads, remember, satire is a form of flattery.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM

16,591 posts, read 18,467,993 times
What's a maloof?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 PM

12,167 posts, read 9,521,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Because I choose not to do it now (due to the diminishing returns of doing so)... Can you back your 1-2% claim?
Yes I can, just look at the tax foundations state/local tax burdens:

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All Years, One State, 1977-2009

Quote:
Finally, I can't buy a nice house .. because hey, they cost about a million bucks
To say it once again, there are areas of the state that are very affordable.

Quote:
leave when you want to spread your business wings... Take your money (pocket) and (tax deferred shelters) with you.
Where you decide to start a business is going to have much more to do with business infrastructure both in terms of other businesses and the government, then it is going to do with taxes.

California is actually better for start-ups, in California you'll pay zero in taxes until you generate a profit. Not so in say Texas, they have a gross-revenue tax.

Quote:
P.S - The low cost areas of California are noisy, far from everything, crime ridden slums ... The reason I got an education and made something of myself was so I didn't have to continue living in such places. No thanks.
They are noisy...yet far from everything? huh? Crime is highest in the major cities, so I have no idea what you mean with "crime ridden slums". There are numerous affordable areas that have low crime rates, for example the Temecula Valley.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 PM

11,846 posts, read 9,435,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The company was founded in Los Angeles, but CKE International, Inc. the parent company of Carl's Jr. and Hardee's is headquartered in the Santa Barbara County.
Ok thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 12:05 AM

2,313 posts, read 1,452,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes I can, just look at the tax foundations state/local tax burdens:

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All Years, One State, 1977-2009
Thank you for providing the link. Now lets take a look at how this foolish figure 'tax burden' is calculated :

For each state, we calcu*late the total amount paid by the residents in taxes, then divide those taxes by the state's total income to compute a "tax burden."

Do you understand the significance .. Or rather insignificance of the trivial calculation when making a 'per person' calculation as to what a particular person's tax burden will be in State A vs. State B?

Quote:
To say it once again, there are areas of the state that are very affordable.
I live in northern California. The rent I pay is average for sanjose, Sunnyvale, los altos, x , y ,z .. abc .. The low cost areas have high crime, are noisy, and I would not want to live there .. Again, it's on a per-person .. per-location basis. So, again, the general case doesn't fit specific cases.

Quote:
Where you decide to start a business is going to have much more to do with business infrastructure both in terms of other businesses and the government, then it is going to do with taxes.
My particular business and investments can be done from anywhere in the world w/ an internet connection. On real-estate, the good/low capital investments are anywhere but in CA.

Quote:
California is actually better for start-ups, in California you'll pay zero in taxes until you generate a profit. Not so in say Texas, they have a gross-revenue tax.
I specifically mentioned an LLC .. for which :

Gross Receipts Tax

The first primary reason why a California LLC is used in real estate, but not to operate a business is that in addition to the annual $800 minimum franchise tax fee imposed on every California corporation and every California limited liability company, the State of California imposes a second "Gross Receipts Tax" on every California LLC, but not on any California corporation. That's right, in California a LLC must pay a second additional tax on its gross revenues. The gross receipts tax on a California limited liability company is as follows:

LLC Fee California "Total Income"
$900. $250,000 or more, but less than $500,000
$2,500. $500,000 or more, but less than $1,000,000
$6,000 $1,000,000 or more, but less than $5,000,000
$11,790 $5,000,000 or more

Not even going to get into FICA , employment taxes, and other foolishness ...
There's a reason people LLC in Delaware alot.

Listen, I am not hear to bash on California.. I love the beauty of this state. On taxes/starting a business, I did my research..... When I leave, I am walking away for a secure six figure job. I am doing it based on very thorough/thought through analysis... #'s /figures/scenarios. I would be an idiot to do it based on emotions.

While we are at linking :
http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/22661.html
State Business Tax Climate Index Rankings, 2006 - 2011
California's Rank : 49

Florida's Rank : 5
Texas' Rank : 13

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/24378.html
Income tax index ...
2011' California rank : 48

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/24379.html
State business sales tax index ...
2011' California Rank : 49

http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/maps/BP60-Fig1-map-large.jpg (broken link)
Quote:
They are noisy...yet far from everything? huh? Crime is highest in the major cities, so I have no idea what you mean with "crime ridden slums". There are numerous affordable areas that have low crime rates, for example the Temecula Valley.
That's in Socal .. I live in Norcal and work in tech. Everyone's situation is different. I live in a 2 bdrm 1.5 bath w/ a roommate. Saving money is obviously on my mind... However, saving money and being near noise, crime, and in a bad neighborhood is not worth it... I did my research and it applies to Norcal. There isn't anything all that cheaper.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 03-24-2011 at 12:16 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 AM

12,167 posts, read 9,521,153 times
Quote:
Or rather insignificance of the trivial calculation when making a 'per person' calculation as to what a particular person's tax burden will be in State A vs. State B?
The research by the tax foundation tells you about aggregate tax burdens, they don't make any claims beyond that.

Quote:
I live in northern California. The rent I pay is average for sanjose, Sunnyvale, los altos, x , y ,z .. abc .. The low cost areas have high crime, are noisy, and I would not want to live there ..
Your claim was about California, not just a particular area in Northern California. Please be more precise...

Quote:
in California a LLC must pay a second additional tax on its gross revenues. The gross receipts tax on a California limited liability company is as follows:
What is your point? Also, just to let you know, creating a LLC in another state does not allow a business operating in California from not paying this tax. A foreign LLC's tax will be based on California based income.

These fees are pocket change for large companies, the higher burden on small businesses is sorta the point. Small businesses can avoid the fees by not being a LLC.

Texas actually does things similar, sole props and general partnerships don't have to pay their franchise business tax. LLCs and corporations do.

Quote:
Not even going to get into FICA , employment taxes, and other foolishness
Good, it will save you some embarrassment.

Quote:
I did my research and it applies to Norcal. There isn't anything all that cheaper.
You didn't research to well as there are numerous low cost areas of Northern California that aren't high in crime. Again, if you mean the bay area, say the bay area.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 AM

2,313 posts, read 1,452,329 times
Quote:
The research by the tax foundation tells you about aggregate tax burdens, they don't make any claims beyond that.
Aggregate tax burden doesn't claim much. So, in throwing out, Texas' tax burden (aggregate tax burden) only varies from CA by 1-2% .. You aren't saying anything. The context in which this data point was used was to suggest my accurate assessment of my personal tax burden of approx difference (7-10%) was overstated. It was not and I don't aim to make any broader claim than that. My personal tax burden for CA vs TX is a diff of : 7-10%.

Quote:
Your claim was about California, not just a particular area in Northern California. Please be more precise...
I apologize and hope I have cleared it up.

Quote:
What is your point? Also, just to let you know, creating a LLC in another state does not allow a business operating in California from not paying this tax. A foreign LLC's tax will be based on California based income.
I spoke about leaving this state and starting a business in a low-cost state. An LLC specifically... At which point, my LLC and physical self would reside in another state. I wouldn't owe California squat on any cross state commerce of internet based software sales that I conduct to customers in CA.... The specific reason why I am not doing it while I am here is for the reason you just mentioned. Further, I am not investing in real-estate while I am here because of the reason you just mentioned... Which all go to my point about not starting a business here (for me personally).

Quote:
These fees are pocket change for large companies, the higher burden on small businesses is sorta the point. Small businesses can avoid the fees by not being a LLC.
I am not a large business and will be conducting myself under an LLC.

Quote:
Texas actually does things similar, sole props and general partnerships don't have to pay their franchise business tax. LLCs and corporations do.
My venture(s) will be maintained under an LLC .

Quote:
Good, it will save you some embarrassment.
It seems you are obviously informed on the issue. I am as well. As you may probably know, there are a slew of specific factors that influence one's choice of how to file their business. You don't know all of mine and I don't care to go over all of them for you. Assuming you do know all of my personal business and that I am not informed would save you some embarrassment. I am not feeling embarrassed at all. Nor are any of my current business associates/friends who maintain successful/legal LLCs/S-corps/etc in Delaware and other choice states based on tax/legal law preference.

Quote:
You didn't research to well as there are numerous low cost areas of Northern California that aren't high in crime. Again, if you mean the bay area, say the bay area.
Bay area and I did it quite well.
CHeers

Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 AM

8,465 posts, read 10,847,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
What's a maloof?
Someone who owns the Sacramento Kings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California