Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Stolen lands? Give me a break.
Don't know your own countrie's history eh? I suggest you start with Bernard DeVoto's book, 1846, Year of Decision.

The Americans attacked on a broad front,
Sending an army across the Rio Grande, another into Nuevo Mexico, taking Santa Fe, then splitting part heading south to El Paso and into the interior of modern day Mexico. part heading west with Kearny and Kit Carson to California (nearly defeated by the Californios at the battle of San Pasquale, saved by sailors and marines from American ships that took San Diego.
Taking and holding Mexico's west coast ports, and landing an army at Vera Cruz which took and held Mexico City for several years.

The peace treaty required Mexico to give up half the country to the Americans.

If a military invasion that results in the dismembership of a country cannot be called theft, I don't know what is.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM

457 posts, read 1,179,124 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Hogwash

Arizona, from the Spanish 'árida zona

Of course not, land belongs to those who take it and hold it. Aside from Euskal Herria and western France it is hard to find anywhere on the globe where the people living there are the same people as were there a thousand years ago.

If the Mexicans are able to retake the Southwest, how could any American complain, since the Americans took it from the prior owners. If the French want to retake the middle states, and can do it, who is to complain, since it was taken from them, The took much of it from the Spanish, who took it from someone else who took it from someone else.

If the Brits want to and can take back the Eastern Seaboard, why not, since the Brits today are not the Brits of 1050 AD who were not the Brits of 400 AD, etc.

Seems to me the Mexicans are doing a darned fine job of retaking their stolen lands.
Amazing.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Do you know there are these people called Spaniards, that came from a place called Europe?

Do you know that this sentence does not have anything to do with what I posted?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,142,189 times
Quote:
If a military invasion that results in the dismembership of a country cannot be called theft, I don't know what is.
That doesn't mean you are entitled to ignore not only the theft but also the genocide of the indigenous people committed by Europeans that led to the existence of the American and Mexican governments in the first place. I don't think either country is entitled to say they are owed land, by your logic, when both countries acquired their land at the bloody expense of those who truly were there first.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
Quote:
Don't know your own countrie's history eh? I suggest you start with Bernard DeVoto's book, 1846, Year of Decision.

Sending an army across the Rio Grande, another into Nuevo Mexico, taking Santa Fe, then splitting part heading south to El Paso and into the interior of modern day Mexico. part heading west with Kearny and Kit Carson to California (nearly defeated by the Californios at the battle of San Pasquale, saved by sailors and marines from American ships that took San Diego.
Taking and holding Mexico's west coast ports, and landing an army at Vera Cruz which took and held Mexico City for several years.

Good stuff. Let's not forget that Mexico was weakened as well by the dissatisfaction within it's northern territories that would later become American states as well as it's most southern territories that would later become most of the central American countries.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:11 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,017,544 times
Quote:

It's funny how you took just one statement out of the entire post that I wrote. I guess the other stuff I wrote just made too much sense.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:11 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
Quote:
Do you know that this sentence does not have anything to do with what I posted?
Spain is irrelevant. This was the Mexican-American War. The Spanish-American war would not come till later and fought with a different country resulting in the acquisition of completely different territories. I don't know why people don't get that.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,773,863 times
History debates aside, how many illegals do you think really filled out census forms and mailed them in, or opened the door to the census-taker? The illegals who I know are scared of anyone official...in my last apartment, there was a big group of illegals living next door and whenever my husband came home in his security guard uniform, half of them would run to their van and take off. I'm sure if they looked out their peephole and saw someone they didn't know knocking on their door, they wouldn't answer it. I know illegals who are scared to go to the hospital when they get hurt or call the police when they get robbed. I just can't imagine them all agreeing to be counted in the census.

So we can probably assume that the majority of hispanics counted in the census are legal citizens, and that if there was some method of counting the illegals, the count would be even higher.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:17 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,369,418 times
Breaking news! 6 in 6 americans are human beings... OMG

Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,017,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
Breaking news! 6 in 6 americans are human beings... OMG

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California