Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 AM

68 posts, read 681,566 times

Advertisements

I will be moving next year.

I have my choices narrowed down to far Northern California, or Southern Oregon. I'll either be going to the Eureka area in Humboldt County CA, or the Eugene area of OR. Those are my two top choices.

I've been doing a lot of research on cost of living. And it looks to me like this part of CA is not much more expensive than Oregon.

Here's what i've found.

CA has sales tax and Oregon doesn't, that's definitely an extra expense to Californians.

Rent, land prices and property taxes look similar in both areas. Looks like there isn't really a big savings.

Income taxes look MORE expensive in Oregon. To me, this seems like it's the great equalizer that makes the financial deal in OR less attractive.

Food, gas and other goods? I'd guess that they are a bit cheaper in OR probably?

Basically, I always hear hype about how Oregon is cheaper than CA. But I think that when this comparison is made, they are usually comparing the cities in each state. When you consider a rural area in California, it seems that the cost of living evens out a lot.

Am I wrong on this? Is Eugene OR really cheaper than Eureka and Humboldt County in CA. For someone who does not consume a lot and shop a lot it appears to be about the same to me.

I know all about the social issues in each town. I'm just trying to get a feel for the living costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:05 PM

63 posts, read 116,089 times
The property tax in Lane county isn't too bad, but you're right, the state taxes are steep. It goes to make up for no sales tax. It balances out pretty much as you say, but keep in mind that adding sales tax in Oregon is brought up almost yearly and when they do (and they eventually will) state and property taxes will not go down. Cost of living (food, gas etc) is noticeably cheaper. It then comes down to environment. Would you rather live in a dusty beach town with little to offer or a rainy small city. The Eugene/Springfield area is more conducive to whatever you happen to be gardening.

I would personally prefer Eugene over Eureka... matter of fact I wouldn't even consider the Eureka area unless you're talking out of town a ways. The weather in Eugene is more appealing than anything you can find on NoCal (although I did like Garberville). If you haven't been to either, go and hang out for a few days at each to see which you like more. I'd go right in the middle of summer, then again in the middle of winter, see which appeals to you.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoNative View Post
The weather in Eugene is more appealing than anything you can find on NoCal (although I did like Garberville).
Pfft. I'd take Chico and have a college town with half the rainfall in the winter (while still having somewhat distinct seasons). 26" vs. 50" sounds nicer and so does the ability to grow citrus. Yeah, its hotter in the summer - that's what all the lakes and the Feather River are for.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
It depends on what your needs/concerns are. Social services in Oregon are lousy compared to California and there is no Social Security supplement. A couple of years ago I would have told you that school (meaning college) is a lot more expensive in Oregon but with the current cutbacks in both states I don't know how that's shaking out. When I was in Eugene over Christmas I thought the retail prices were pretty much the same, maybe a bit higher in Eugene. Eugene is three times the size of Eureka and the seat of a major university. They're not that similar. Concur with the other poster who suggested you visit at different times of the year.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM

68 posts, read 681,566 times
I've spent a lot of time in Eureka and Arcata at all times of the year. I know all about it.

But i'm not as familiar with Eugene. That's why i'm asking how they compare.

I did vist Eugene twice. Once in summer, once in winter. But that was about 7 years ago and each time I just spent a day there.

Honestly I don't care much about weather. Weather isn't really a priority for me. I care more about quality of life in other ways. I've noticed that city-data people tend to analyze the weather of different places to an almost scientific level, it's funny, to me as long as it's above freezing i'm good.

But cost of living is the main thing i'm wondering about. I know all about all the other issues.

I always thought Oregon was cheaper than California. But now as I research it, it looks like it's about the same. I'm surprised by that.

Of course if you are comparing Portland to San Francisco or LA, then Oregon is cheaper. But small towns in California compared to Oregon look to be a similar cost of living and similar tax burden.

Last edited by GreenGardener555; 07-03-2011 at 11:45 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 06:43 PM

57 posts, read 184,450 times
Medford is nice. Not so much rain.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
As for myself, the cost of living (within reason), taxes, weather and all of that other stuff is secondary to whether a place is Right for me.

There are many fine towns in Oregon and NorCal. Been to lots of them. Some I liked better than others. But none of them felt as right (to me) as my little corner of the Sierras.

As you know I used to live in Mendocino County. Was OK, but not as great of a fit for Mrs5150 and myself. So like I said, get a feel for the particular place. If you find one that says "Yes!" go for it COL be damned (within reason).

Remember, you get what you pay for!

Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Gas is a lot cheaper in Oregon, plus it's full service. I think going out at night for entertainment is cheaper in Oregon, but don't quote me on that. As far as I know everything else is about the same.

Homes and cars may possibly deteriorate faster in a salt-spray environment. Eureka looks shabbier to me.

If everything else is equal, this would be one of those intuition calls. You've lived in Eureka, so now spend a few days or a week in a cheap motel in Eugene, get a better feel for it, decide which city feels more like home to you.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
If i was thinking to move back to CA, i think i would look fer a bit of land close to WhiskeyTown Lake, out in the boonies.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I stayed in the park in my van for about a week before they kicked me out, Hawk. It seems to be pretty drab and hot in the area during the summer. I guess you could live a bit downhill from it, there was a nice wee village there, and you could commute to work and shop in Redding. But it seemed to be almost as hot as Redding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California