Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Right. Perhaps "others" will chime in and tell how my question is "progressive". I'm a retired printer. I guess I larned me a lotta words off the presses. Because I sure didn't get 'em from no progressive college.

Nothing eluded me. Perhaps you can point out where I wrote government should tell us where and with whom we should live. I'll be happy to retract since I don't believe such.

But neither is it a progressive concept to recognize that there are fundamental differences between where we choose to live and how little choice most citizzens have in where they work and generally interact in day to day functioning. The concept of public schooling to prepare youth for becomin g productive well adapted citizens isn't progressive I trust. Do you think youth learn that flexibility and congenial respect best in exclusive institutions with narrow cultural goals or by relating to the common world in common venue?
Oh bother. By all means, let's all be "common" so everyone rises and falls equally and no one has any impetus or opportunity to excel. Now THAT's progressive! "Exclusive institutions" is merely ill-disguised code for expensive private schools. How dare my parents provide me with a good education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 04:11 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh bother. By all means, let's all be "common" so everyone rises and falls equally and no one has any impetus or opportunity to excel. Now THAT's progressive! "Exclusive institutions" is merely ill-disguised code for expensive private schools. How dare my parents provide me with a good education.
Prickly sort aren't you. Perhaps "good education" in your parlance doesn't include developing skill in tolerant polite exploratory discourse. Kinda goes with my point here. I guess you are another private school alum. I was public schooled and got my GED in the service. But I larned me how to larn and hold a good conversation without straining at my leash. Hate the feel of a choking collar you know.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Prickly sort aren't you. Perhaps "good education" in your parlance doesn't include developing skill in tolerant polite exploratory discourse. Kinda goes with my point here. I guess you are another private school alum. I was public schooled and got my GED in the service. But I larned me how to larn and hold a good conversation without straining at my leash. Hate the feel of a choking collar you know.
My guess is that it's only tolerant, polite, exploratory discourse (note the use of commas, printer man) if it agrees with you. Your envy and classism are palpable. G'Day !

Old 04-12-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My guess is that it's only tolerant, polite, exploratory discourse (note the use of commas, printer man) if it agrees with you. Your envy and classism are palpable. G'Day !
It all agrees with me, Mr. Curmudgeon. I am one o' the more agreeable people you can meet. Speakin of high-faluting verbiage, 'palpable' is a good one! But sorry about the commas thing. Guessing your fancy private education got up on my haste there. My bad.

And it has been a G'Day, thanks! Same back atcha!

Old 04-12-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think being able to buy a home in a good school district so your kids can go to that school is a good thing. And if somebody's idea of "It's a Small World" means your kids have to get on a bus that takes a long time to send them to a school way out of their neighborhood, and you don't like that idea, so you decide to get a second job so you can put your child into a private school of your liking, as that's the only way around this new stupid law, is a good thing.

What's next? Mandatory attendance at a different church? Say all Catholics must now attend Temple, too?

You'll go and you'll LIKE IT!

You know, you don't have to use confusing language to prove you're smart. An effective argument will do that, even in simple language.
Sorry. Didn't mean to dazzle you with my 10th grade education there. You know my mother always used to say "watch your mouth kid". Maybe she meant too much vocabulary, I don't know.

Now I'd say your protests about mandatory same church attendance and such is kinda gross oversimplification, don't you think? I mean church is by nature a personal choice. While gaining an education to prepare one to function in the broader world is all about being a well rounded, broadly informed and experienced individual, capable of integrating smoothly and productively at any level circumstances might warrant in a democratic society, fairly with all one's fellow citizens.

I hope I got all my commas right there in case Mr. Curmudgeon reads through.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Sorry. Didn't mean to dazzle you with my 10th grade education there. You know my mother always used to say "watch your mouth kid". Maybe she meant too much vocabulary, I don't know.

Now I'd say your protests about mandatory same church attendance and such is kinda gross oversimplification, don't you think? I mean church is by nature a personal choice. While gaining an education to prepare one to function in the broader world is all about being a well rounded, broadly informed and experienced individual, capable of integrating smoothly and productively at any level circumstances might warrant in a democratic society, fairly with all one's fellow citizens.

A for effort on trying to spin the discussion away from the point - which was that some of us remembered busing and thinking it was a bad idea to try and force integration.

I wouldn't want to have to bus my kid to a neighborhood where most of the kids speak a language my kid doesn't understand. I wouldn't want to be told that my kid has to go to Mosque, if I'm Jewish.

I don't see much difference there. People like to try to complicate the busing issue. But, IMO, it's as simple as my example of forcing people to go to a different church.

I don't want to be forced into a different culture, and I don't want to be forced into a particular religion.

Now, you have every right to try and persuade me that's narrow minded, that I would benefit from the exposure to other cultures, religions, blah blah. But, when the government starts telling me I HAVE to do it, well, that's when my dad said, "Oh yeah, well I will just put them into private school, then."

You can't force people to embrace diversity. That's what I'm saying.

I've made my point. I'm weary of the argument. Have fun y'all...

Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Marin County is 25% non-white or Hispanic. Its not like the county is solidly white.
San Quentin State Prison doesn't count.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
San Quentin State Prison doesn't count.
Perhaps it should; prime real estate and all that rot!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Why is it that when a place is majority white it's said not to be diverse but a majority black or hispanic area does not have the same label? I agree that affordable housing should be made available to people but I certainly do not like the reasoning behind it.
Same reason that according to our Department of Justice black on white crime cannot be labeled hate crime.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Tenth grade education my patooty. More reminiscent of a departed poster from the SLO area who espoused similar ideals.

However, as to the matter at hand, these types of studies and attempts at social engineering can't fail to remind me of the grand expansion to suburban Sacramento known as North Natomas. Forget that it was permitted to arise in the midst of a flood plain, the powers that be deemed it "fair" and mandatory that it include X-number of multi-family units and lower-income homes. I forget what the formula was.

So up went all the houses and intermingled were apartment buildings and homes of lesser value than most of the others. The end results were sadly predictable and unfortunate. Crime increased and I've no doubt home values were impacted, especially those near the "affordable" housing. Unfortunately, government doesn't appear particularly adept at learning the lessons of past failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland