Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times

Advertisements

I grew up with two parents from Inglewood and 4 grandparents within 5 miles who were from the following places:

• N. Georgia
• S. Alabama
• Atlantic City/Philly
• Brainerd, MN

Now there's a mixture of accents/dialects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Makes sense to me. There are still remnants of that old SoCal accent in certain places. Although those people could be more recent transplants I don't know but in parts of San Diego County there are some who sound decidedly country. There are people in Riverside County you can barely understand.
As I didn't know about that accent when I was a kid, I would've confused it with the Okie accent.

I know there are accents like that in San Diego County and Riverside County especially amongst older people, but I'm not sure if it's a survival of the Okie accent or a survival of the old SoCal accent.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,193 times
In my city we all talk like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGDwScgb_Y0

Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 AM

285 posts, read 437,961 times
The Californian accents are the
Valley Girl and the Surf Dude accents

Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As I didn't know about that accent when I was a kid, I would've confused it with the Okie accent.

I know there are accents like that in San Diego County and Riverside County especially amongst older people, but I'm not sure if it's a survival of the Okie accent or a survival of the old SoCal accent.
Well I think it sounds more Texan than anything else. In Santee, Lakeside and in Riverside I've been greeted not by hello but with "howdy" more often, especially in Santee and Lakeside.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well I think it sounds more Texan than anything else. In Santee, Lakeside and in Riverside I've been greeted not by hello but with "howdy" more often, especially in Santee and Lakeside.
The old SoCal accent supposedly resembled the Central Texas accent of Austin or San Antonio (reflecting where many of the 19th century American settlers of SoCal came from)

I'm not that surprised about it surviving in East County, especially in self-described "cowboy town" Lakeside. Probably amongst older people mostly? Bay Area Hillbilly mentioned that it still could be heard in San Bernardino and Riverside counties into the '80s.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The old SoCal accent supposedly resembled the Central Texas accent of Austin or San Antonio (reflecting where many of the 19th century American settlers of SoCal came from)

I'm not that surprised about it surviving in East County, especially in self-described "cowboy town" Lakeside. Probably amongst older people mostly? Bay Area Hillbilly mentioned that it still could be heard in San Bernardino and Riverside counties into the '80s.
The accent is still mostly among older folks. But the culture is very alive and well in east county among all ages for sure. Lakeside still has a rodeo and an annual chili cook-off (nothing wrong with chili lol). Ramona is a million miles away from anything we'd consider "Californian" northern or southern and it's smack in the middle of SD county. I went to a wedding reception in Lakeside, at Lindo Lake and heard more "yee-haws" than this black male would care to hear LOL.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Oh come on, a few rebel yells here and there shouldn't skeer ye. Much.

Thar's another one! Git the rope, Cletus.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Oh come on, a few rebel yells here and there shouldn't skeer ye. Much.

Thar's another one! Git the rope, Cletus.
Only you can make that funny LOL

Old 04-12-2011, 09:25 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,788,834 times
I lived in California my whole life until about 3 years ago, and I now live in North Alabama.

On a few occasions I have been told I have a California accent by people who are native to the south. It is not something that comes up frequently, and according to them, the California accent is very subtle but they can pick up on it after having known a few people from California. I think I know what they mean, a little? I know a few people that talk a certain way that I wouldn't call an *accent* exactly, but when I meet someone that talks the same way, I find out they are from the same situation. (Two things like this have picked up on are people from Pennsylvania - similar accents - , and two friends I have - worlds apart - who are Americans raised by Canadian parents - they don't have Canadian accents per se, but they have the same mannerisms/twist to their speaking patterns.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California