Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 PM

76 posts, read 193,404 times

Advertisements

I live in McAllen Texas which is a mid size city but I want to move out of state. Like LA or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:26 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Texas has a much higher per capita murder rate and violent crime rate. All those guns in the hands of frightened reactionaries hasn't made them any safer and instead they're more likely to get hurt buy their own stupidity.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 9,945 times
Texas

Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Depends where in Texas.

Houston is considerably more dangerous than any California city.

OTOH Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso are safer than any California cities except San Jose.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 PM

76 posts, read 193,404 times
I live in a bad area I guess you could say. Our local news people can only talk briefly about crimes committed by gang members because they get death threats from gangs. I guess I'm used to it and maybe its just the area I live in. There are really nice areas, but those are for the really rich people which like 80% of us here are not. I plan on moving to LA or NYC so thats why I wanted to compare crime. And I'm tired of getting my stuff stolen and cars broken into and not being able to walk around the row of houses in front of my row in my neighborhood because I may get shot like my dad and little brother. So I'm trying to see where would be safer even though I don't have a lot of money to live in like the rich areas. Basically, I would be used to an bad area but I'm trying to see if its more or less dangerous than here. I think it would be less but I still want opinions.

Last edited by SKxoxo; 04-08-2011 at 10:34 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Texas has a much higher per capita murder rate and violent crime rate. All those guns in the hands of frightened reactionaries hasn't made them any safer and instead they're more likely to get hurt buy their own stupidity.
Did you not see the post above which shows nearly identical violent crime rates between the two states?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Did you not see the post above which shows nearly identical violent crime rates between the two states?
The two states may have similar violent crime rates but no large California city is as dangerous as Houston. However as I stated some large Texas cities are safer than any California cities other than San Jose.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 PM

38 posts, read 53,905 times
Why would anyone compare crime rates by states? I don't understand the point of it. What relevance does that have, especially in two massive states like CA and TX in which everyone stays in their tiny pockets and never leave?

Crime rate is measured by city/metropolitan area/community.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:34 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Depends where in Texas.

Houston is considerably more dangerous than any California city.

OTOH Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso are safer than any California cities except San Jose.
Houston ROCKS! However you had better know where and where not to play! I have never in my 45 years of living in Houston been a victim of violent crime. Crime is in every big city so you need to be very aware and street smart as well as people smart!

I think LA and Houston are very equal as far as crime goes. I think Houston and Oakland are fairly equal as well.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Why don't you back up your claims with a source other then your blind opinion? Just another example of California ignorance with the mere mention of the word Texas comes into play!

Actually it was the guns in the hands of Houstonians' who took back the city of Houston from the horrific crimes and violence that came with the Katrina refugees. Houstonians' had enough and police needed help and the citizens took matters into their own hands! It made Houston much safer to get the murders, rapists and downright evil people off of the streets. So actually guns in the hands of the fed up not frightened Houstonians made Houston a much safer place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California