Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

I once made a move to the wrong place. Where isn't important, just know that it wasn't a good fit for me. After 6 months, I unassed that place and found a better one. The crazy part about that is... I DID THAT ALL ON MY OWN WITHOUT CONSULTING STRANGERS ON AN INTERNET FORUM!

Much like that old Nike ad, I just f'in did it. No drama, no agita, no hand-wringing, no bad-mouthing. I simply put the place in my rear view mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 05:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
We could end up being in the wrong place at the wrong time anywhere. Even in the Ozarks!
Which would likely land you some place even nicer than the one you were headed toward!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Texas has a much higher per capita murder rate and violent crime rate. All those guns in the hands of frightened reactionaries hasn't made them any safer and instead they're more likely to get hurt buy their own stupidity.
More like purchase a weapon and don't take the time of day to go out and familiarize yourself with it until it's too late.
Education is key to all things and unfortunately, these poor fools just make themselves into statistics by not continuing to follow through onto the next task in firearm possession.
Also, open-carry isn't actually legal out in TX due to some statute left over from reconstruction so it's not like everyone swings it from the hip.

That's what AZ and NM are for!!

But staying on point, I could see CA and TX being directly on par with each other when it comes to violent crime in certain areas.
Too many people, too many problems in each of them.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
More like purchase a weapon and don't take the time of day to go out and familiarize yourself with it until it's too late.
Education is key to all things and unfortunately, these poor fools just make themselves into statistics by not continuing to follow through onto the next task in firearm possession.
Also, open-carry isn't actually legal out in TX due to some statute left over from reconstruction so it's not like everyone swings it from the hip.

That's what AZ and NM are for!!

But staying on point, I could see CA and TX being directly on par with each other when it comes to violent crime in certain areas.
Too many people, too many problems in each of them.
If you haven't read the entire thread you should know that Texas and California have nearly identical violent crime rates. "Oerdin" is simply wrong.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:59 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default Do you think Texas or California is more dangerous?

I really never think about it myself.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKxoxo View Post
Yeah, I never thought of Austin as a small city at all.
On the other scale, I have never thought of Houston as a HUGE metropolis as well. Of course, I compare it to NY. Its smaller than Philly and slightly larger than DC, neither one of which I'd refer to as HUGE either. '

I guess if you are from Texas, where big is a past time (e.g. ego).. its a HUGE city. but overall, for the most part its boring suburban sprawl with pockets of interesting neighborhoods here and there that I could live in. At least it doesn't seem to have as many "big haired women driving Escalades on their way to Neiman Marcus" as Dallas.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
I guess on your scale there are only 2-3 HUGE metros. You offer nothing more than stereotypical bs. And no, I'm not from Texas....

Old 10-09-2011, 01:47 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKxoxo View Post
In terms of gangs, crime, etc.

I can't compare because I don't live in Texas. California has been dealing with gangs since the early '80s. Concentrated in cities next to the interstates, for "business" purposes. With the economy in the tank, a lot of people who didn't commit crimes but had a propensity to do so have taken the leap and are making communities more dangerous. Further, instead of cutting police jobs, we should be hiring more just to offset the increase in violent crimes. Since state, county and city leaders live in areas where there is more security, they probably don't see a problem.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Based on 2008 data, California and Texas have nearly identical violent crime rates:

CA: 504 violent crimes per capita (100,000)
TX: 508

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/11s0304.pdf

Texas has higher property crime rates.
well so much for the debate. Statistics don't lie.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:29 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
well so much for the debate. Statistics don't lie.

Well darn! You take all the fun out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California