U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 AM

1,460 posts, read 847,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
I didn't read all the responses but I hope folks realize that CFL bulbs POLLUTE the planet with mercury. There actually one of the worst hazards waiting to happen !! Also did you guys read about what happens if a CFL bulb breaks in your home ??

If you all want safe eco bulbs that will last a LIFETIME you have to buy LED lights.
Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:04 AM

11,728 posts, read 23,525,954 times
I don't buy the "LED's last forever" argument. Sure, the LED itself might have a very, very long lifespan, but what about the cheap made-in-china electronics behind it. Just like with CF, when the cheap electronics go, the whole unit is done.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:32 PM

16,589 posts, read 19,130,985 times
LEDs don't last forever. Just look at all the traffic signals you see with inoperative segments.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
LEDs don't last forever. Just look at all the traffic signals you see with inoperative segments.
Yeah, I forgot about those. I think I read something about some shady company selling them junk lights during the "energy crisis" a few years ago.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:22 PM

7,642 posts, read 7,330,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh my! We have CFLs throughout the house and in all outside fixtures as well. That's strictly by choice because where we live, guvmint stays out of our business. We like it that way. We're not stupid and at our ages, don't need mommy/daddy interference. Sorry about you left coasters!
Amen! Besides . . .

Flourescents havemercury ~ that's why the landfill does not want them! They are a pain in the butt to get rid of because "they" don't want them in regular garbage. So I don't see where they are necessarily a better alternative. And they are crap bulbs if you want brightness. So I purchased bags full of the CFLs last year.

It isn't all or nothing with me. I choose where I want to be "green" and bulbs are not one of them.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah, I forgot about those. I think I read something about some shady company selling them junk lights during the "energy crisis" a few years ago.
It's most likely the junky Sino electronics failing as you pointed out before, but no matter what part fails, it still means inop LEDs.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 AM

3,587 posts, read 4,426,047 times
Default Hallelujah!

FINALLY found a CFL bulb in a local store that's DIMMABLE. I have our outside lights on those sockets that turn them on at dusk and can now use CFL's. $16 and they supposedly last for 6 years. Big improvement.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
FINALLY found a CFL bulb in a local store that's DIMMABLE. I have our outside lights on those sockets that turn them on at dusk and can now use CFL's. $16 and they supposedly last for 6 years. Big improvement.
I have some dimmable CFL upright lamps but they're not dimmable like an incandescent bulb would be. Instead, they require a brief (and bright) surge at full power to get them going, then they're dimmable to maybe 1/2 brightness. Undervolting them as a traditional dimmable fixture would not light them below a certain level and would shorten their life.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 06-11-2011 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah, I don't know of any CFLs that are made to be dimmed with a resistive dimmer like those noisyassed spectrum blasting socket dimmer things eureka1 is talking about.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 AM

48,353 posts, read 38,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
My partner changed the light bulb in the hallway from compact fluorescent to a 75 watt incandescent. Of course he did this while I was at work.

So when I got home, I said "I'm glad they're banning these light bulbs, they use way too much power" and he said "you're an enviro-fascist; the CF wasn't bright enough".

Well if wanting to save the earth makes me an enviro-fascist then so be it.

I'm glad California is leading the way in cutting greenhouse gas emissions!
It isn't just Ca in case you didn't know: either way, give me a break...maybe we should all go back to using candles, that would help a lot, no fans or air conditioning either, and let's cook on wood stoves instead of using electricity or gas.

I am glad you want to save the world, someone has too. I am sure you are making a huge difference. If you aren't doing anything else you are blowing your own whistle.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California