Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times

Advertisements

After 31 years, I've finally come to grips with the fact that California is my home. I finally feel "at home" here. Part of it is resignation on my behalf. A bigger part of it is realizing that I am part of this landscape.

That being said, what I love (and have come to appreciate) about California is the state's vast demographic and topographic diversity. While I'm no proponent of illegal immigration, it's intriguing to make the acquaintence of peoples from all ends of the Earth, and to at times participate in their cultural traditions. Cultural diversity is most definitely a curious perk of California living.

Topographically, there are probably not too many places on Earth where one can visit the mountains, the desert, the ocean, or another country within a relatively short drive.

California is not what it once was when I arrived here in 1979. The quality of life has definitely degrated a bit. But, it's a place about which many will always say. . ."I wish I were there."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
After 31 years, I've finally come to grips with the fact that California is my home. I finally feel "at home" here. Part of it is resignation on my behalf. A bigger part of it is realizing that I am part of this landscape.
If it really took 31 years to come to that realization, sumpin' jes ain't right!

Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If it really took 31 years to come to that realization, sumpin' jes ain't right!
Admittedly it did. I wanted and tried to leave this state several times up until 2000. Could not bring myself to accept the local culture in Southern California. Too many illegals. Too much traffic.

I've since then learned to more-or-less work my way around those two issues. Neither bothers me as much anymore. It is what it is. I now accept this as part of the way things are here. . .in my home.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Admittedly it did. I wanted and tried to leave this state several times up until 2000. Could not bring myself to accept the local culture in Southern California. Too many illegals. Too much traffic.

I've since then learned to more-or-less work my way around those two issues. Neither bothers me as much anymore. It is what it is. I now accept this as part of the way things are here. . .in my home.
Glad for you that you settled in. Sorry it took so long. Had to be a bit rough!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post
9. You don't need a license plate if your car looks new. And Steve Jobs doesn't need one at all!
-Agree. I understand that you have a certain amount of grace before the cops and DMV satrt sweatin' you about it.
I drive a pretty nice car (click on my profile and you'll see...) and for the first year or so, didn't have plates on it. Why? Because I just forgot about it...

Lady hit and damaged my car. Cop comes to the scene, looks at my car, says "oh man, that sucks... you just got it... looks clean."

Put the plates on shortly thereafter. Move back up to Seattle. Someone steals my plates - car theft is bad in Seattle, and someone on the S2000 forums had an S2000 stolen a few days prior; we figured that's where the plates went. I didn't feel like buying new plates since I was moving back to CA and just left the old dealer plates on. Got pulled over for speeding, CHP asked why I didn't have plates, said "just haven't gotten around to it," and he just said, "okay, make sure you get those soon, bud. Nice car." No ticket.

Note, though, that not all areas of CA are like this. Back in LA, I would have probably had two guns pulled on me, been cuffed, roughed up, given a DUI check, found to be sober but made to sit in the back of the car while they demanded to know why I didn't give them permission to search my car and picked through my record to see if there was anything they could use to give me a hard time or bring me in. The LAPD are awful

Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Actually so many say the weather, that isn't one of my favorite things (depending where in Ca you live) because I like change of seasons.

What do I like? The beauty of the state has to be number one and the diversity would be next, followed by The Dodgers.

NIta

Old 04-25-2011, 11:45 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Seems many are too attracted to the coastline and the beaches when it comes to why they like it here so much.
Never really got into it that much and I also see "the beach" as a place where whales commit suicide and cargo ships "park" when the captain forgot to tie the moorings.

While the first list has nothing that interests me, I will say I like the fact that CA still has quite a few historical gems that haven't been knocked down for single-family cookie cutters, yet.
Sutters Mill, that railroad museum up in Roseville, Bodie and Calico ghost-towns, SFs Presidio, Hearst Castle, and plenty of other early 19th and 20th century locations that told people of what life was like before everything went soft.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:34 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
I wish I lived in California to be able to participate in this

Old 04-25-2011, 01:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I wish I lived in California to be able to participate in this
Cheer up, at least the Mississippi River is still somewhat swimmable.
Salt water at a CA beach isn't anything to write home about.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:18 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
The number one thing I like about California - diversity. We have it all.

There is no other place on Earth that comes close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California