Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM

8 posts, read 24,941 times

Advertisements

So how could I do with $800 then? And if not in an urban area, then at least a drive's distance from one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:26 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieCooley View Post
So how could I do with $800 then? And if not in an urban area, then at least a drive's distance from one.

$800/mo in Los Angeles

$800/mo in Orange County

$800/mo in San Francisco area

plenty of choices out there...

Old 04-12-2011, 03:35 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
When I meant on the west coast, I just meant the state, not necessarily near the ocean or anything like that. Is it possible to find a decent place anywhere in the state for $600?
I have a studio with utilities included for 525.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
It shouldn't be a problem in Fresno, Bakersfiled, Visalia, Modesto, or Stockton. You will have to look for one in a not so bad area, but you can do it. Well, maybe with the exception of Stockton.

The lowest prices start at just over $600 a month in Sacramento, Chico and Redding. With persistence you might find a small studio somewhere in the vicinity of Downtown Sacramento, but there will be a lot of competition. I've noticed a few suburban apartment complexes here with rents between $600 to $700. They aren't in bad neighbourhoods, but they aren't the best either. I'm sure those apartments still have the appliances from the last remodel sometime in the 70s.

I don't know how much rent is in Yuba City or the small towns. Maybe taking a look at a map and looking up individual town newspapers will give you an idea of rents in those areas.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:52 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
At $600 you're looking at a studio in the ghetto some where or renting a room off of Craig's List in any of the major coastal cities.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
I don't think you understand just how big California is, you might need to narrow your search parameters a bit to get any kind of help here.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:18 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
It shouldn't be a problem in Fresno, Bakersfiled, Visalia, Modesto, or Stockton. You will have to look for one in a not so bad area, but you can do it. Well, maybe with the exception of Stockton.

The lowest prices start at just over $600 a month in Sacramento, Chico and Redding. With persistence you might find a small studio somewhere in the vicinity of Downtown Sacramento, but there will be a lot of competition. I've noticed a few suburban apartment complexes here with rents between $600 to $700. They aren't in bad neighbourhoods, but they aren't the best either.
Fresno/Clovis prices are currently similiar to Sacramento. Right now around Fresno its about $600-$700 for a studio or $700-1200 for a 1 bed/1 bath located in a good area and it will be higher in some of the north Fresno complexes.

Even in downtown Fresno, which is nowhere near as developed as downtown Sac, the new loft complexes in the small Arts/Mural District start at about $750 for a 1 bed/1 bath. Construction is starting this summer converting downtown's old Hotel Fresno into 72 apartments with rents at $900 and up for a 1 bed/1 bath.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:

You can get a pretty nice place for $800 in Chico. One of my favorite Ca. towns.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
not if you want want urban or suburban like you said. You might be able to find something in places like the inland Empire or in the northern most part of Ca and very much inland. But that would not give you am urban atmosphere. Do you have a profession and what do you plan on doing to pay your rent etc? I think you might need to think this through a little more.

NIta
I don't know what it is now, but before I moved my little 300sf apartment in a relatively ok part of Riverside was going up towards 900 a month. I don't recall seeing anything in a place I'd live there for under 600 then. Even room rentals under that were getting scarce. I'm assuming that since housing has crashed so bad there, rental prices have gone up.

Always, always think a whole lot about those "safety challenged" places since who wants to live where you don't want to go outside after dark?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:52 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
When I meant on the west coast, I just meant the state, not necessarily near the ocean or anything like that. Is it possible to find a decent place anywhere in the state for $600?
Probably in places that are far inland such as Fresno, Bakersfield, Sacramento, or Riverside. These places are generally considered less desirable because of very hot summers (and sometimes chilly winters), less attractive locations, low paying job markets, poor economies, etc.

In general, the inland cities in California typically still have above average living costs and below average wages. When you hear people refer to various places in California as "cheap" they mean cheap by California's overpriced standards...which is still about 25% above the national average. Your situation may vary, but don't count on it.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-14-2011 at 02:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California