Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
In France we have found that most lights in homes and businesses are on motion sensors. When you leave a room the lights go out, when you enter a room the lights go on. does wonders for your electric bill.
So do these. I have them strategically placed around the house and I'm certified in their use.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You're right some people keep everything on, run their AC all the time, etc. I hear people talk about $200, $300, etc dollar electric bills and I really don't understand how people manage that.
The big consumer of electric power is air conditioning. Unless you live in a small apartment along the coast, you're likely to spend a fair amount keeping cool in the summer and fall. Same thing if you have electric heat. I would have to shut down my water heater to get my bill under $40/mo.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:00 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The big consumer of electric power is air conditioning. Unless you live in a small apartment along the coast, you're likely to spend a fair amount keeping cool in the summer and fall. Same thing if you have electric heat. I would have to shut down my water heater to get my bill under $40/mo.
Yeah AC is expense...especially when you're wasteful. Americans, especially Californians, are rather wasteful. How in the world does it make sense to cool a 3,000 sq ft poorly insulated McMansion in the desert? This is not to mention that the majority of Californians can get through the summer with only using their AC on a handful of days. For most AC and heating are luxuries....

Anyhow, people aren't paying the full costs of their energy usage, there are some serious externalities in terms of population and switching to clean renewable sources forces people to pay the full costs. Of course...people hate actually paying for things.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The utility companies have until 2020 to comply & electric bills will increase as much as 33%. TYVM jerry brown.
SMUD in Sacramento generates about 20% of their electricity from renewable resources and has the least expensive rates in the state.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
Budget a mess and businesses leaving the state. So what do Brown and the Democrats do? Pass a bill that will raise the already high cost of electricity. As usual feel good politics and good intentions trump over common sense.

Brown signs strict renewable energy law - MontereyHerald.com :
You should leave rather then talking about it.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
So do these. I have them strategically placed around the house and I'm certified in their use.

That is a lot of work to remember to do that, I commend you...

Quote:
Budget a mess and businesses leaving the state.
Yep, tis sad, last year 200 odd corporations left the state, out of 2,700,000 corporations in the state, and of course, we can toss in the coupla thousand new startups that went into business in California last year.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Unless you live in a small apartment along the coast, you're likely to spend a fair amount keeping cool in the summer and fall. Same thing if you have electric heat. I would have to shut down my water heater to get my bill under $40/mo.
Most people use their hot water in the evening and in the morning, no need to keep the hot water in the tank 24 hours a day. Put a timer on it, better yet put an on demand hot water heater in.

AC? A proper house in hot country will have tall shade trees around it. Another great solution that few in this country do is to put a ramada roof over your existing roof, a one foot open space between the two roofs will do wonders for your cooling.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Those who don't believe in climate change will deny it right up until their part of the world is no longer recognizable then they will blame that on some sort of "liberal conspiracy" while all along accusing liberals of being paranoid.
It is always amusing when the Faithful who used to say "global warming" now follow the directions of the progressive left and instead say "climate change" after the latter was discredited.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
The imported oil issue is just an excuse to pursue the global warming agenda. Electricity should be produced using the lowest cost method. Right now that means using oil or clean coal. California businesses must compete with companies located in other states and even other countries. If we shoot ourselves in the foot with a renewable mandate then how can we keep jobs here?

Someday the cost of oil may go high enough so that solar energy can compete. Right now solar is much more expensive. Or maybe the technology to produce solar will bring down the costs. That's a big maybe. But simply passing a law and hoping that solar can become competitive with oil/coal at some time in the future makes no sense. Reminds me of California's dead electric car mandate. Sounded good at the time and then it failed.
Ummmmm---"CLEAN" COAL??????????????????You apparently watch too many PSAs sponsored by the coal industry.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It is always amusing when the Faithful who used to say "global warming" now follow the directions of the progressive left and instead say "climate change" after the latter was discredited.
I used to say that only the Chinese Communists and the American rightwinger denied Climate Change, the Chinese have figured it out though, still waiting for the American Rightwinger to figure it out. Well, one did.

Quote:
Republican leaders of the House Science and Technology Committee called a special session a couple of weeks ago to hear from a scientist who has been openly skeptical of global warming claims.
Even before the meeting began, those lawmakers had a pretty good idea what UC Berkeley physics Prof. Richard Muller was going to say — that global warming data has been based on bad science, and climate change is part of a great liberal conspiracy.
Republicans on the science panel had every reason to believe that’s what Muller would report, after months of crunching numbers from thousands of weather stations around the planet. It was a reasonable expectation, because the project received a big chunk of its funding from oil magnates Charles and David Koch.
But no matter Muller’s personal beliefs, and the presence of political and financial forces bent on disproving global warming claims, the professor calmly told the committee members that previous climate change research is essentially correct.
California again leads the nation

Not that facts will affect the "true unbelievers" apologies to Eric Hoffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California