Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,157,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You'll be back in California in two years.

"...8 easy hours...", Right. A typical long weekend is three days, four if you take an extra day or two off. Even with a four day weekend, you would driving for two of those four days.
I posted in this thread a long while ago. I move here to Oklahoma from Riverside getting near three years ago. I had thought I was going to come back and visit more often and would miss more. But honestly, I don't. So you don't know that the poster won't just find they like the new place so much they want to stay.

What I'm finding is the whole grind of a long trip seems to be too much for a few days of visit. And as the family is growing up and moving on with life they are also moving OUT of California. I find it interesting how people just assume that their relatives will not also decide to find greener pastrues and will always be there to come home to.

A few blocks down the main road in the town I live in is open country and get away from the major towns and there are hours of it. The desire to visit for anyone but family is fast fading away.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 AM
LDH

168 posts, read 585,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post
Winters are rough here but in Chicago and Michigan they are prepared for them. Its snows and sleets here and the power is out for days if not weeks! The town literally shuts down at the hint of snow. You're trapped in the house during a good portion of the winter. Just not fun! Don't get me wrong the people here are some the nicest people you will ever meet.

We plan on moving to the Santa Barbara area of California. Since we have been posting on City Data a lot of the California posters are advising us not to come back. I just accepted a job with the Gov but its entry level and not paying much at first. My wife is a math/ science teacher and she is getting called crazy for moving to SoCAL. Hopefully its all noise. We really want to move back to California its home for me. My wife loves it there.
Good luck! Are you going to be working in SB, or perhaps Vandenberg AFB? What GS rating is your entry level job? If it's entry level, you aren't going to live very well on your wage. The cost of living is high in this area especially in good neighborhoods. Many people commute long distances to get too and from work.

Your wife might have a difficult time finding a job here too. Just about every year we hear about teachers getting pink slips.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,527,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We moved from Orange County to Denver 5 years ago and love it here for the most part. Main reason for moving was we wanted to own an actual house and get out of our condo, didn't care for most of our neighbors in OC, didn't think it was a good place to raise kids, and we were sick of the traffic. Mostly I miss the climate, and climate is about the only thing I dislike in Denver. Mostly Winter since Summer isn't that different from where we lived in CA. I do miss CA a bit, and would like to someday return, but move to San Diego.
I'm sure you're probably a little like us - thinking about how it would be nice to take some of Denver with you back to California if/when you go back. If only California were a little more like Denver in this way or that... it's such a great place to raise kids out here, and we're hoping we're making the right decision to go back. My wife reallllllllly likes it out here, and feels we're going to be compromising a bit when we return. And we will in some regards, but we'll also get a taste of some of the things we miss too.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 AM

961 posts, read 2,555,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I'm sure you're probably a little like us - thinking about how it would be nice to take some of Denver with you back to California if/when you go back. If only California were a little more like Denver in this way or that... it's such a great place to raise kids out here, and we're hoping we're making the right decision to go back. My wife reallllllllly likes it out here, and feels we're going to be compromising a bit when we return. And we will in some regards, but we'll also get a taste of some of the things we miss too.
We are in the same boat. We miss the weather and natural beauty of California, but we fear that it is not the best place to raise our kids. The neighborhood we live in is mostly comprised of families with young children and the schools are top notch. The weather is terrible here though and we miss all of the outdoor activities that California had to offer. We just can't decide whether it is the right choice for our family to go back though.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I posted in this thread a long while ago. I move here to Oklahoma from Riverside getting near three years ago. I had thought I was going to come back and visit more often and would miss more. But honestly, I don't. So you don't know that the poster won't just find they like the new place so much they want to stay.

What I'm finding is the whole grind of a long trip seems to be too much for a few days of visit. And as the family is growing up and moving on with life they are also moving OUT of California. I find it interesting how people just assume that their relatives will not also decide to find greener pastrues and will always be there to come home to.

A few blocks down the main road in the town I live in is open country and get away from the major towns and there are hours of it. The desire to visit for anyone but family is fast fading away.
sounds like us: we get back less and less all the time, but most of our family is gone, either they have passed away or left California. I still enjoy visiting, but would never move back no matter what. Well, never say never, but it would be a cold day in HELL before I did.

NIta

Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM

6,599 posts, read 9,153,142 times
Moved to Denver, CO, for a better job opportunity. I do miss the scenery and my old neighborhood in Redondo Beach, but I don't miss the ridiculous political climate, high taxes/cost of living, and the congestion in Southern California.

Denver is a good fit for me, but not for everyone. I'm not wealthy by any means, but I've been able to do so many things here that would have been harder/taken longer in California, like attending grad school during the evenings and weekends (and paying for it instead of taking out loans) and buying a townhouse. To each their own! I probably wouldn't move back to CA.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,420,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I retired and couuldn't afford San Francisco, a beat up row house was going for almost $1 million
Ditto. My pension will go ALOT further here in west Tennessee than it would have in San Luis Obispo. But i really miss SLO!!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 PM

325 posts, read 369,288 times
Wow, same story here. Except I grew up in the "open" near Oklahoma (East Texas) then moved to L.A. and loved it. Couldn't afford it so we packed it up and moved to Denver. Stayed a year then moved to Holland, MI because of an incredible job offer. After this winter, turns out the job isn't so incredible. Never mind the snow ... seven months of no sun just ain't cool. I miss the outdoors activities and the culture of L.A., but I just don't think it's a great place to raise a family. Maybe we should give Denver another shot ...

Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,307,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
We are in the same boat. We miss the weather and natural beauty of California, but we fear that it is not the best place to raise our kids. The neighborhood we live in is mostly comprised of families with young children and the schools are top notch. The weather is terrible here though and we miss all of the outdoor activities that California had to offer. We just can't decide whether it is the right choice for our family to go back though.
There are lots of outdoor activities in the midwest and in Northern Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan, you just have to change your perspective a little bit.

I grew up near Chain o Lakes State Park. I miss the state parks in both Illinois and Wisconsin like crazy (or check out Porcupine Mnts in Upper Michigan winter or summer). Plus the beaches on Lake Michigans eastern shore...awesome.

If you need dramatic backdrops to feel like there are outdoor activities, you are missing out!

I recall an article written about Chain O Lakes State Park in which a Colorodan claimed it was more beautiful than most places he's been in Colorado. It's all in your perspective. I also recommend Glacier Park in McHenry and the Prairie Trail for biking or X country skiing.

Evanston is very urban, if you expect fun and the outdoors to fall in your lap there you will miss out. You just have to make more of an effort to explore and don't let winter keep you inside. Just put on a jacket.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,307,261 times
of course, you are also in reach of weekend drives to Nashville, Memphis and the Smoky Mnts. Louisville, Southern Illinois (some nice parks), St. Louis, and of course Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California