Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,308,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Ditto. My pension will go ALOT further here in west Tennessee than it would have in San Luis Obispo. But i really miss SLO!!
I think everyone misses where they are 'from' it's hard to leave any place you are used to and especially if you grew up there, unless you just never fit in or always hated it.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:09 PM

961 posts, read 2,556,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
There are lots of outdoor activities in the midwest and in Northern Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan, you just have to change your perspective a little bit.

I grew up near Chain o Lakes State Park. I miss the state parks in both Illinois and Wisconsin like crazy (or check out Porcupine Mnts in Upper Michigan winter or summer). Plus the beaches on Lake Michigans eastern shore...awesome.

If you need dramatic backdrops to feel like there are outdoor activities, you are missing out!

I recall an article written about Chain O Lakes State Park in which a Colorodan claimed it was more beautiful than most places he's been in Colorado. It's all in your perspective. I also recommend Glacier Park in McHenry and the Prairie Trail for biking or X country skiing.

Evanston is very urban, if you expect fun and the outdoors to fall in your lap there you will miss out. You just have to make more of an effort to explore and don't let winter keep you inside. Just put on a jacket.
I appreciate the suggestions, but it is just not the same. Outdoor activities in the Midwest are few and far between compared to California and you have to deal with either freezing temperatures or humidity and lots of bugs that bite. And let's be honest, you don't just "put on a jacket", you have to put on a thick North Face type coat, hat, gloves, scarf and insulated boots if you want to spend any real time outside during the winter.

I grew up in Michigan and camped in just about every state park and what sticks out in my memory are the bug bites, constant application of calamine lotion and sleepless nights because of the humidity. To each his own, but when we escaped from the Midwest to California at 19, we felt like we had made the best decision of our lives. Now we are back here and we feel like we made the worst decision by moving back. The weather is just ridiculous. I freeze all winter no matter how much I bundle so my quality of life in closely tied to the weather.

Having to drive hours for any real outdoor adventures is not my idea of accessible family fun. We drove 2.5 hours to go hiking last summer (through several sketchy neighborhoods to get there I might add) only to find that the park we were trying to hike in had become a meet up place for men seeking other men for a good time in their parked vehicle. Needless to say, we did not hike.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,594,662 times
I moved from Philly to San Francisco, had an offer paying me three times as much for the same job.
Best move i ever made

Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,594,662 times
Quote:
I think everyone misses where they are 'from' it's hard to leave any place you are used to and especially if you grew up there, unless you just never fit in or always hated it.
If I had stayed in California my expenses would be almost double what they are here in Arizona. I'd like to be in California but I would rather pocket the change

Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
I loved where I grew up in Southern California but it's not that magical place anymore. Times change and so do people and places. I've changed as well and my needs, wants and desires have also undergone transitions. Life has a funny way of doing that to you.

Most important, I love where I am now. That's what counts most; and the memories.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,160,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I loved where I grew up in Southern California but it's not that magical place anymore. Times change and so do people and places. I've changed as well and my needs, wants and desires have also undergone transitions. Life has a funny way of doing that to you.

Most important, I love where I am now. That's what counts most; and the memories.
Thats exactly what it is for me. The socal I grew up in and the one my parents remembered is long gone. I never liked the rushed hurry to get there much anyway. And what I found here reminds me of what was lost.

Unless some family event I have to be at happens I've decided that my memories stand me in better stead since I know none of these places look the same anymore.

And I think if you come to love the place your at, your lucky. I came with the realization it was a one way trip. Kinda like the people who immigrated across the sea. The day I got back to socal on the one trip I made back a few months later I started talking about how much I missed 'home' and it wasn't California.

I had people who were really envious that I pulled up stakes and moved since they couldn't do it since it was all too scary. Never be too scared to take that chance if you don't really feel at home anymore.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:16 PM

739 posts, read 1,841,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
It's funny, I think I've worked out a solution to my California problem. Looks like my stepdaughter and her husband made move to Ashland in a few years (they're in Eugene now and he's in a medical field that is in demand everywhere.) And I know my Mom would like to move to Ashland if they do.

So, here's my plan. I move back to San Luis Obispo. My family moves to Ashland, and I buy an inexpensive little house or condo there. I can spend part of the year there, and have the family use the house when I'm not there. Best of both worlds. And while I probably won't be able to buy anything in SLO, I could have a house of my own in Ashland.. and eventually spend more time there as my stepdaughter starts growing their family.

I'm not an RV type... but I'm the vacation home type.
Sounds like a good plan. Ashland is a nice little town even if it ain't SLO.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,161,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac n cheese View Post
Just curious.

I moved to New York, then Hoboken, NJ until I could figure out where to settle (still looking for that laid back northeastern city that emulates the California lifestyle).

Moved out because I hate hot weather (and that was in norcal), and I wanted to get as far away from the parents as possible.

You?
I've moved to New Mexico for the time being. I have a few family members here.

I moved because it's cheaper to attend college at a state university here, the requirements are not as strict, and professors seem to be a bit more friendly (preaumably because class sizes are slightly smaller?)

People where I am at seem genuinely more friendly, due to the small-town thing and because there are a lot of Texans here (Texas hospitality has been adopted by the locals). Drivers are better here than most other places I have lived and visited, and everything is cheaper here... lower food costs, lower gas prices, cheaper housing and less taxes, etc.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 PM

190 posts, read 448,136 times
I moved to AZ from the Central Coast - San Luis Obispo County - living on the ocean was cold. We had cloud cover and thick fog for the most part all summer long year after year... It grew tiresome. Winters were nice - temps all year around 65 to 75. Boring though. Traveled 45 min. just to get to a Target. I know every single restaurant in the county I believe. Lots of retirees. Nothing going on - one college - Cal Poly - one farmers market scene - on Thursdays - other good ones here and there but the SLO one is famous - but been once - it doesn't change. The only real buzz or scene was the wine country - Paso Robles - wine, wine, wine - it too grew tiresome. It is drop dead gorgeous there - there are days when I thought this is what heaven must be like - surreal beauty everywhere..... But medical care is not the most forward - it's as laid back a life style as I could imagine - and I need more than that to thrive.... Nature is healing - it's everywhere in it's glory - mountains, oceans, lakes, vineyards, sunsets... awe-inspiring ....... But I simply had to break out --- wanted a full church, a busy shopping scene, choices in dining, new scenery, affordable housing, world class medical care, warm winters, affordable shelter, food and gasoline......Thus far AZ is quite amazing - ridiculously hot outside - not at all pleasant to cope with when you aren't used to it - but no place is picture perfect in all aspects......It has a ton of positives that thus far have me believing I made the right move - and hopefully Cali isn't going anywhere if I change my mind --- it's a days drive and I'm right back where I came from for visits :-)

Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 585,811 times
Hubby and I will be leaving Santa Barbara County to Virginia within 2-3 years. I will start looking to transfer in my job in 2 years... ahead of him retiring from the military. Hopefully I can get settled and then when he retires he will come out and look for a job.

We are both CA natives but are just not happy with the way the state is going. Broke state, too many illegal immigrants, too liberal, just don't like it here anymore. Every time we visit VA we feel like we are home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California