Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times

Advertisements

^^hey, we used to say the same thing about Texas....

Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 AM

230 posts, read 620,919 times
Well.. I'm back to this thread. I still stand by my comments that everyone has a place that will make them happy, (or two,) and no one can know what that is until they move away or from the perfect place for them.

I'm in the Seattle area now.. still. After moving here 8 years ago from San Luis Obispo County. I grew up in Pasadena, during a great time (the 70s and 80s,) then to SLO at it's BEST time (the 90s.) I just don't feel like I fit in up here, especially in this town we chose sight unseen. Mostly, it's the weather, which affects your activities and interests, and how you relate to people year 'round. We don't see our neighbors much of the year, because we're in the house.

I thought I was moving back to SLO County this year. That was my plan in earlier posts. But the more I thought about moving back to Cali, the less sense it made. I miss the weather.. I miss the produce.. and the lifestyle. But.. my family is now all up here. And frankly, unless I'm willing to live in a converted garage down there, my housing options are nil.

The more I thought about it, and kept up on things in California and SLO in particular, I realize that it's just changed so much even in the 8 years since I left. The place I'm thinking of, may not exist anymore. And I realized that with my Mom getting up in years, I would be the biggest jerk in the world moving several states away from her now, and would have to resign myself to seeing my family maybe once a year. Am I willing to give up my family for access to fresh tomatoes much of the year?

Looks like i'm going to stay in the Pacific Northwest, in washington. But.. I'm going to move to a new town. The one I've chosen reminds me a lot of what I loved about SLO/Arroyo Grande/Morro bay when I first moved there in '87. I'd like the chance to shop without having to default to a big box store. I'd like to get to know people in town, and feel connected. I like small towns, but I also love water.

I'm moving to Anacortes, Wa. It reminds me of Pacific Grove, without the 900k 2bd/1ba condos. lol. It's close to my family, whom I love hanging out with, close enough to Vancover, BC for a day trip, and the same for Seattle. It's around rich farmland, thus satisfying my need for visiting farmstands in the summer (something I REALLY miss about SLO County.)

Having said that... I absolutely HAVE To take at least one good trip to California each year, preferably two: November and April, to keep from going insane from the gray. However, Anacortes has 10" less rainfall than then where I am now, and 1/3 more sunshine.

I will keep California and SLO County as a wonderful memory of how it was when I was so connected and happy there, and how wonderful Southern Calif. was when I was growing up. But places change... and once you live up here, it's so hard to go back to brown and dry and crowded.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 PM

167 posts, read 277,105 times
Default your behind the times

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I was surprised to read that in 2009 Missouri was only #2 in the nation in Meth production, behind Tennessee.

They made up for, in 2010 Missouri was #1 in the nation for Meth production.

Rednecks and chemicals, a scary combination.
Not anymore new laws have passed for over the counter cold pills. The rate has gone down and still well below California's total production and consumption. I much rather live here in the ozarks then california. Its a perfect 74 degree day sunny day in march and I have lived and moved from California. This is beautiful country with lots of lake swimming,boating and fishing. And most of all very affordable homes on acreage. For what you can buy for 600,000 a 2 bedroom 700 sq ft home on small lot there, you can buy a 4,000 sq ft home on 250 acres here. I will stay here my friend where I cant even see my neighbors and have deer and turkey on my property. I lived that Cali urban nitemare for 40 years and will never return.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4143 View Post
Not anymore new laws have passed for over the counter cold pills. The rate has gone down and still well below California's total production and consumption. I much rather live here in the ozarks then california. Its a perfect 74 degree day sunny day in march and I have lived and moved from California. This is beautiful country with lots of lake swimming,boating and fishing. And most of all very affordable homes on acreage. For what you can buy for 600,000 a 2 bedroom 700 sq ft home on small lot there, you can buy a 4,000 sq ft home on 250 acres here. I will stay here my friend where I cant even see my neighbors and have deer and turkey on my property. I lived that Cali urban nitemare for 40 years and will never return.

One chooses where they live, why one would put up with an urban nightmare for one week let alone 40 years mystifies me. I like mountains, Missouri has none. I like desert, Missouri has none. I like wilderness, California has 6 million acres of designated wilderness, Missouri has less than 100,000.

Missouri has a total of 44.09 million acres. California has more acreage than that that is uninhabited public land for our recreation.

Imagine the entire state of Missouri with no one living in it, all wild land available for recreation with elevations from -283 feet to over 14,000 feet with thousands of square miles of mountain landscape, and desert landscape. That is California.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Imagine not being fixated on Missouri. Imagine just being happy where you are and letting others do the same. That personal preferences differ seems beyond the abilities of some people to fathom. The question was "where and why" did you leave CA. Neither are arguable because they're based upon personal perceptions and those inexplicable preferences. Those include topography which no one individual can claim as having created. They either enjoy what's there to varying degrees, or not.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 PM

364 posts, read 608,114 times
It does seem like the only way for some to defend California is to attack any other place mentioned as an alternative to California.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
It does seem like the only way for some to defend California is to attack any other place mentioned as an alternative to California.
Other than perhaps its governance, California doesn't really need any defense, especially not when it comes to its physical features. In that I think it unsurpassed.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times
I moved to Seattle.

Moved back a year and a half later and will never look back

Old 03-26-2012, 12:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4143 View Post
The rate has gone down and still well below California's total production and consumption.
I'd love to see some current citeable numbers to back that statement, especially the part about production.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,683,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac n cheese View Post
Just curious.

I moved to New York, then Hoboken, NJ until I could figure out where to settle (still looking for that laid back northeastern city that emulates the California lifestyle).

Moved out because I hate hot weather (and that was in norcal), and I wanted to get as far away from the parents as possible.

You?
An east coast area with an artsy, laid-back vibe is central Bucks county, PA, esp. the town of New Hope and it's sister city, Lambertville, NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California