Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 AM

193 posts, read 436,736 times

Advertisements

We left the Bay Area in 2009 and moved to Houston due to work. There are drawbacks about the area and I am rather homesick right now but there are a lot of positives as well.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
After 30 years, we retired & left because of:
  1. Too much traffic
  2. High cost of housing
  3. High cost of housing driving up the price of everything
  4. Too much traffic
  5. Electricity rates are too expensive
  6. Gasoline is too expensive due too taxes & special formulations and social policies
  7. Enviro-Nazis
  8. High taxes
  9. No end in sight for the out-of-control state government dominated by public employee unions incessant demand for more, more, more, more...
  10. Public Servants earning 200K to 600K and more
  11. Too much traffic
  12. Stupidity such as high speed rail
  13. My Spanish isn't that good
  14. Did I mention too much traffic?

Although I still have a vacation house in Ca, we now live in the Entertainment Capital of the World (no state income taxes although property taxes are high), but spend the winter living & skiing in Park City, UT - population 7,000.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Although I still have a vacation house in Ca, we now live in the Entertainment Capital of the World (no state income taxes although property taxes are high), but spend the winter living & skiing in Park City, UT - population 7,000.
I must remind you that Arvin is indeed in California.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
  1. Too much traffic
  2. High cost of housing
  3. High cost of housing driving up the price of everything
  4. Too much traffic
  5. Electricity rates are too expensive
  6. Gasoline is too expensive due too taxes & special formulations and social policies
  7. Enviro-Nazis
  8. High taxes
  9. No end in sight for the out-of-control state government dominated by public employee unions incessant demand for more, more, more, more...
  10. Public Servants earning 200K to 600K and more
  11. Too much traffic
  12. Stupidity such as high speed rail
  13. My Spanish isn't that good
  14. Did I mention too much traffic?

Quote:
The Entertainment Capital of the World is an advertising slogan first coined to refer to Los Angeles due to the presence of Hollywood, and the area's prominent radio, television, music, & movie production, as well as the abundance of tourist and amusement attractions in the region
Huh?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:29 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:

Too much traffic
Stupidity such as high speed rail
So you don't like the traffic, but alternatives to it are "stupidity"?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM

23 posts, read 95,018 times
Quote:
With "Entertainment Capital of the World," first thought that came to mind was L.A. too, but I think poster meant Las Vegas. Nevada doesn't have state income taxes.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac n cheese View Post
With "Entertainment Capital of the World," first thought that came to mind was L.A. too, but I think poster meant Las Vegas. Nevada doesn't have state income taxes.
But Vegas is more like the stripper capital of the world.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM

23 posts, read 95,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
But Vegas is more like the stripper capital of the world.
LOL, may be true, but according to Wikipedia, Las Vegas "bills itself as The Entertainment Capital of the World" and its nicknames are:
"The Entertainment Capital of the World"
"Sin City"
"Capital of Second Chances"
"The Marriage Capital of the World"

Source: Las Vegas, Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 PM

81 posts, read 170,548 times
I left SF for Miami for a job and what I thought would be a better quality of life. Yes, housing is cheaper, but you have to live in the boonies to find a nice, safe neighborhood and commute at least an hour each way to work. Everything else is pretty much the same, electricity, gas, groceries. So yes I left California and I am counting the days until I can go back! Granted California has its issues but the pros far outweigh the cons IMHO.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:19 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac n cheese View Post
Yes, I figured that, but, leaving California for Las Vegas is like leaping from the frying pan to the fire.

Lets look at the Great Barbecue Pit compared to CA.

Too much traffic There are two freeways for a city of nearly two million. I15 and 95, both are great replicas of parking lots during rush hour.
High cost of housing Median home price in Las Vegas, $119,900, Los Angeles, 320,000
High cost of housing driving up the price of everything, Wages are lower in Las Vegas than Los Angeles by 9.3%
Too much traffic See #1
Electricity rates are too expensive Los Angeles is 0.198 per kwh, Las Vegas is $ 0.30037 kWh I think that is higher for Las Vegas
Gasoline is too expensive due too taxes & special formulations and social policies Right now, in Las Vegas gas can be had at 3.69 per gallon, in Los Angeles, 3.97 per gallon
Enviro-Nazis, Whatever they are, people that like clean air and water?
High taxes There is a 3% difference between total tax burden.
No end in sight for the out-of-control state government dominated by public employee unions incessant demand for more, more, more, more...
Public Servants earning 200K to 600K and more
Too much traffic
Stupidity such as high speed rail
My Spanish isn't that good
Did I mention too much traffic?

Well anyway, Nevada ranks about 49th in infrastructure, keeps good jobs out of the state. Las Vegas is a serious armpit, a hot armpit. But there are those who like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California