Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 02:50 PM

739 posts, read 1,840,982 times

Advertisements

Trixie09, thanks for your comments. It doesn't look like I can drag my DH back to CA anytime soon but AZ may be a possibility. I have time to do some more nagg.... er, 'nudging'.
Hawk J, I gotta tell ya, we have an Airstream and spent two weeks in AZ in February. It is indeed the solution. But. The one we have is only 19 feet long. It is adequate but we probably need to upgrade if we want to spend longer on the road. One of these days we will figure out how to pay for that.
You are right, though, about closing up the house and spending three months south of us. Then we could just stay here in Ashland, OR, which is a pretty nice place. Plus, our daughter and her family live in town; nothing like having family close by.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,784,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Moved to the Ozarks. Left CA because of its economy and it's politics which made it worse.
I love the Ozarks, my best friend moved to a town in the Ozarks in Northern Arkansas and it is beautiful.

I lived in LA and OC for a while and recently (a couple months ago) moved to Lakewood, CO. I like Lakewood and CO very much but I also like SoCal . I moved because my current job in CO pays more than the one I had in LA and it is less expensive to live here than in LA so win win for me. I miss the ocean but I am next to the rockies so I can live with the trade off.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
I love the Ozarks, my best friend moved to a town in the Ozarks in Northern Arkansas and it is beautiful.

I lived in LA and OC for a while and recently (a couple months ago) moved to Lakewood, CO. I like Lakewood and CO very much but I also like SoCal . I moved because my current job in CO pays more than the one I had in LA and it is less expensive to live here than in LA so win win for me. I miss the ocean but I am next to the rockies so I can live with the trade off.
WE too live in a town in NWA at the foot of the Ozarks, it is beautiful.

NIta

Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
WE too live in a town in NWA at the foot of the Ozarks, it is beautiful.

NIta
Y'all ain't at the foot, my dear. You'uns is in the upper portion of tha lower third!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
One of the the first two pictures show a mountain lake surrounded by rock or salt - something light grey/white. No trees no grass, yes that is definitely bleak and barren to me. The other of the first pictures show barren mountains with a narrow valley that has a dry looking stream bed that has some scrub along it. Not much there either. Neither the fields nor the mountains have trees, water, or any significant growth. Maye a little bit of scrub. Mostly Barren. If the who song "I can see for miles and miles" applies, then yes, it is prettymuch barren. I did not say that I do not like it, I was only explaining why some people might find it unappealing.

Even the later phtos while more green, show an bacisally empty landscape, just weeds and some low wildflowers all the way to the mountains in the background. A huge empty field that will be a field of brown in the summer. No trees, no lakes or streams. The third picture of that set shows barren mountains. They are grey. Grey is rock. Rock is barren. Ths is the kid of area the looks even better under cloudy skies than in the bright sun. Again I think it is pretty in its own way. I find many places pretty. Bleak and Barren can be beautiful. I even like the area around Pheonix. However I can also understand why people might not like it.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM

193 posts, read 434,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
No amount of gorgeous forests, and clean lakes, or food carts, can change how I feel about sitting at the beach in Avila having an ice cream cone on a summer evening.
That's what I'm talking about.

I don't know how, but I'm going to find a way back to the SLO area one of these days...and hopefully long before I retire. Just need to figure out how to make a living.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Y'all ain't at the foot, my dear. You'uns is in the upper portion of tha lower third!
well whatever, I guess cause we are used to real mountains, I just keep thinking we are at the foot of...

Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
Wow.. I hear ya on that! I moved from San Luis Obispo County to the Seattle area a few years ago for my husband's job, and as hard as I try to like it.. it just isn't working.

Oregon is quite lovely.. especially Ashland, and I've tried to tell myself that maybe moving to Oregon would cure my homesickness for SLO County, but my friends and family finally told me to give it up. They know that I need to be back on the Central Coast.

I think that most everyone has a place in their hear that feels like home... whether it's their original or adopted home. And nothing compares to the Central Coast for me. No amount of gorgeous forests, and clean lakes, or food carts, can change how I feel about sitting at the beach in Avila having an ice cream cone on a summer evening.

Best of luck getting back to where you belong!
to you and others, I think the question the OP asked was if you left where did you end up, and why: not if you are happy with your decision or not.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM

12,859 posts, read 13,159,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We had a dream, to live in the forested mountains & to be the caretaker of the land & a basspond. For several years we searched fer our spot, while on vacations, etc.

In 1987 we found our spot, 80 acres for $44k. It is on the side of a beautiful, forested mountain with a basspond, several artesian springs, a year round creek. The mountains protect us from the wind. There is very little wind here. Our spring water comes gravity flow from farther up the mountain.

We have happily lived here since. We truly love living here, between the Rogue & Umpqua Rivers.
That sounds beautiful. You are very fortunate to have made that choice.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well whatever, I guess cause we are used to real mountains, I just keep thinking we are at the foot of...
"Real mountains?" Ours are real. They're just so old they grow down instead of up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California