Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,784,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
WE too live in a town in NWA at the foot of the Ozarks, it is beautiful.

NIta
Bella Vista is pretty close to where my friend lives in Rogers. He is pretty easy to identify there, he is the only person with a New Yawk accent

Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 PM

21,396 posts, read 8,610,568 times
My DH and I are retired, have no immediate family still living, so we could sell our house and go just about anywhere we wanted to. But we decided to stay right here in San Francisco. Sure, the cost of living is higher here, but we don't have the biggest expense that most people complain about, housing. Back in the 1980's we bought a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath house that needed work, made extra principal payments with the money we saved, and now it is completely paid off. Thanks to California's property tax laws, our taxes are based on the purchase price of the house and can only go up about 1% or 2% per year (I'm not sure of the exact percentage). Our income isn't huge, but we saved like crazy when we were working so now we can afford to live modestly as long as we are careful with our money. We drive older compact cars, we have only one TV and we don't need to take expensive vacations because we are happy right where we are.

Our gas prices are highest in the continental U.S., but we don't have to fill up very often because everything we need to do is close by. We also have a bus line three blocks away and a light rail station less than a mile away, so we can ride public transit to go downtown and not have to hassle with parking.

We are lucky enough to live in a secluded residential neighborhood on a forested hill with a nice view of the ocean. It doesn't feel like living in the city at all. There isn't much traffic on our street and there are no houses across from us, just a park with tall trees and the sound of songbirds twittering all day long. There is a trail that leads up to the top of our mountain and from there, a spectacular view of the entire city.

You can't beat the weather in Northern California. Our climate is Mediterranean, which is why it is such a good place to grow wine grapes. San Francisco tends to be chillier and foggier than the rest of the Bay Area, but compared to some of the extreme weather conditions in other parts of the country I feel very grateful that fog is the worst thing we ever have to deal with.

There is so much to do here I never run out of ideas for outings. If you want to get away from the city, you can visit the wine country, beach resort towns and the Sierras within a few hours' drive. I like being able to patronize small neighborhood businesses where you get personal service instead of big box stores and chain restaurants. For those who like the big chains, all you have to do is drive a few miles out of town and there they are.

Of course we realize that we could afford a much bigger house with more amenities if we moved elsewhere, but to me quality of life is more important than how big your yard is or how many bedrooms and bathrooms you have. The only reason I would consider moving would be if either of us develop mobility problems. Our house is up a flight of stairs. In that case I would prefer a condo in an elevator building within short walking distance of public transportation so we would not have to do yard work or home maintenance and could get around when we need to.

I am not saying any of this to brag or to imply that my way of life is better than anyone else's. As another poster upthread so wisely put it, one person's hell is another's paradise. I just wanted to explain why my husband and I have chosen to stay put in a location that is usually not thought to be a good place for retirees. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 04-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Excess verbiage removed by the Department of Redundancy Department

Old 04-27-2011, 04:42 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
Bella Vista is pretty close to where my friend lives in Rogers. He is pretty easy to identify there, he is the only person with a New Yawk accent
too funny, but believe it or not we do have some people from the mid Atlantic area here as well as NYC. They are re-los for retirement or Wal Mart, Tysons, Hunt employees. Rogers is almost as nice as BV. LOL

Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
My DH and I are retired, have no immediate family still living, so we could sell our house and go just about anywhere we wanted to. But we decided to stay right here in San Francisco. Sure, the cost of living is higher here, but we don't have the biggest expense that most people complain about, housing. Back in the 1980's we bought a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath house that needed work, made extra principal payments with the money we saved, and now it is completely paid off. Thanks to California's property tax laws, our taxes are based on the purchase price of the house and can only go up about 1% or 2% per year (I'm not sure of the exact percentage). Our income isn't huge, but we saved like crazy when we were working so now we can afford to live modestly as long as we are careful with our money. We drive older compact cars, we have only one TV and we don't need to take expensive vacations because we are happy right where we are.

Our gas prices are highest in the continental U.S., but we don't have to fill up very often because everything we need to do is close by. We also have a bus line three blocks away and a light rail station less than a mile away, so we can ride public transit to go downtown and not have to hassle with parking.

We are lucky enough to live in a secluded residential neighborhood on a forested hill with a nice view of the ocean. It doesn't feel like living in the city at all. There isn't much traffic on our street and there are no houses across from us, just a park with tall trees and the sound of songbirds twittering all day long. There is a trail that leads up to the top of our mountain and from there, a spectacular view of the entire city.

You can't beat the weather in Northern California. Our climate is Mediterranean, which is why it is such a good place to grow wine grapes. San Francisco tends to be chillier and foggier than the rest of the Bay Area, but compared to some of the extreme weather conditions in other parts of the country I feel very grateful that fog is the worst thing we ever have to deal with.

There is so much to do here I never run out of ideas for outings. If you want to get away from the city, you can visit the wine country, beach resort towns and the Sierras within a few hours' drive. I like being able to patronize small neighborhood businesses where you get personal service instead of big box stores and chain restaurants. For those who like the big chains, all you have to do is drive a few miles out of town and there they are.

Of course we realize that we could afford a much bigger house with more amenities if we moved elsewhere, but to me quality of life is more important than how big your yard is or how many bedrooms and bathrooms you have. The only reason I would consider moving would be if either of us develop mobility problems. Our house is up a flight of stairs. In that case I would prefer a condo in an elevator building within short walking distance of public transportation so we would not have to do yard work or home maintenance and could get around when we need to.

I am not saying any of this to brag or to imply that my way of life is better than anyone else's. As another poster upthread so wisely put it, one person's hell is another's paradise. I just wanted to explain why my husband and I have chosen to stay put in a location that is usually not thought to be a good place for retirees. Your mileage may vary.
good and honest post. I know others who feel the same way. Most of our friends have left Ca and would not return, a few have left but are sorry and yes, some chose to stay after retirement or when offered transfers to other states. Everyplace in our country has something to offer.

Nita

Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 AM

230 posts, read 620,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Trixie09, thanks for your comments. It doesn't look like I can drag my DH back to CA anytime soon but AZ may be a possibility. I have time to do some more nagg.... er, 'nudging'.
Hawk J, I gotta tell ya, we have an Airstream and spent two weeks in AZ in February. It is indeed the solution. But. The one we have is only 19 feet long. It is adequate but we probably need to upgrade if we want to spend longer on the road. One of these days we will figure out how to pay for that.
You are right, though, about closing up the house and spending three months south of us. Then we could just stay here in Ashland, OR, which is a pretty nice place. Plus, our daughter and her family live in town; nothing like having family close by.
It's funny, I think I've worked out a solution to my California problem. Looks like my stepdaughter and her husband made move to Ashland in a few years (they're in Eugene now and he's in a medical field that is in demand everywhere.) And I know my Mom would like to move to Ashland if they do.

So, here's my plan. I move back to San Luis Obispo. My family moves to Ashland, and I buy an inexpensive little house or condo there. I can spend part of the year there, and have the family use the house when I'm not there. Best of both worlds. And while I probably won't be able to buy anything in SLO, I could have a house of my own in Ashland.. and eventually spend more time there as my stepdaughter starts growing their family.

I'm not an RV type... but I'm the vacation home type.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,390 times
...I left Southern Ca for Reno, Nv. It is amazing and beautiful here. We moved to have a better life for the kids, ie: more nature, less crime and population, yadda yadda.
Honestly, my only qualm with reno is that it is very far from my family, closest friends, and all my places for solace (like driving up the coast, favorite coffee hangout, parks, etc). In moving, take a considerable look at yourself and how you operate. Will you be able to establish a whole new life for yourself comfortably. Most people can. For me, even if I lived in Hawaii, I would eventually wish I were back home. That is MY personality. Home will always be So Cal for me.
All that aside, Reno has a lot to offer, although jobs are hard to come by anywhere you go. Reno has seasons, mountains, camping nearby, fishing, tons of lakes all within an hour in many directions. Bonus, you can be in so cal in 8 easy hours!
Good luck in your quest. And do not BUY a home anywhere until you have lived in the new state and explored enough to make a good decision. (I did not, and do not like my neighborhood or the 20 miles, one way, I have to drive daily to get to town)

Old 06-03-2011, 10:56 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,527,279 times
We moved to the Denver area 6 years ago from NorCal looking for a lower cost of living and less volatile housing market - and just something a little different. We have enjoyed our time here but are moving back to NorCal to be closer to family again, and some of the other things we miss (I'm looking forward to being driving distance to the coast and the big redwoods again). Still love California, despite its problems, but found Denver to be a great place to live too. Had I grown up here I probably would have no urge to go back to California.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,390 times
Trixie09,
Of course, I just read your recent post, so my other post seems very loquacious and unnecessary. Informative, hopefully, to someone else, I suppose. Good solution, my dear!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,087,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
We moved to the Denver area 6 years ago from NorCal looking for a lower cost of living and less volatile housing market - and just something a little different. We have enjoyed our time here but are moving back to NorCal to be closer to family again, and some of the other things we miss (I'm looking forward to being driving distance to the coast and the big redwoods again). Still love California, despite its problems, but found Denver to be a great place to live too. Had I grown up here I probably would have no urge to go back to California.
We moved from Orange County to Denver 5 years ago and love it here for the most part. Main reason for moving was we wanted to own an actual house and get out of our condo, didn't care for most of our neighbors in OC, didn't think it was a good place to raise kids, and we were sick of the traffic. Mostly I miss the climate, and climate is about the only thing I dislike in Denver. Mostly Winter since Summer isn't that different from where we lived in CA. I do miss CA a bit, and would like to someday return, but move to San Diego.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzelb View Post
...I left Southern Ca for Reno, Nv. It is amazing and beautiful here. We moved to have a better life for the kids, ie: more nature, less crime and population, yadda yadda.
Honestly, my only qualm with reno is that it is very far from my family, closest friends, and all my places for solace (like driving up the coast, favorite coffee hangout, parks, etc). In moving, take a considerable look at yourself and how you operate. Will you be able to establish a whole new life for yourself comfortably. Most people can. For me, even if I lived in Hawaii, I would eventually wish I were back home. That is MY personality. Home will always be So Cal for me.
All that aside, Reno has a lot to offer, although jobs are hard to come by anywhere you go. Reno has seasons, mountains, camping nearby, fishing, tons of lakes all within an hour in many directions. Bonus, you can be in so cal in 8 easy hours!
Good luck in your quest. And do not BUY a home anywhere until you have lived in the new state and explored enough to make a good decision. (I did not, and do not like my neighborhood or the 20 miles, one way, I have to drive daily to get to town)
You'll be back in California in two years.

"...8 easy hours...", Right. A typical long weekend is three days, four if you take an extra day or two off. Even with a four day weekend, you would driving for two of those four days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California