Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 PM

69 posts, read 199,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Kentucky's good about that...getting you stuck. It's like the real Hotel California, "you may check out anytime you like, but you may never leave."

Those are two of the reasons I want to leave Kentucky badly, much more so the culture. Although you have to admit that our winters are NOTHING compared to the winters in, say, Chicagoland or Michigan. California and Texas are top runners; Kentucky pride runs deep and I'll always be proud to be from here, but it's time to move on.

By the way, I see two western Kentucky cities in your profile. I was actually born in one of those towns and return to W. Ky. to visit relatives probably 6-8 times a year. One of the biggest (yet few) advantages of remaining in Kentucky for me is to have that proximity. (At least you're close to Ferrell's Hamburgers and some good BBQ!)

Best of success to you! Which part of CA are you moving to, if I may ask?
Winters are rough here but in Chicago and Michigan they are prepared for them. Its snows and sleets here and the power is out for days if not weeks! The town literally shuts down at the hint of snow. You're trapped in the house during a good portion of the winter. Just not fun! Don't get me wrong the people here are some the nicest people you will ever meet.

We plan on moving to the Santa Barbara area of California. Since we have been posting on City Data a lot of the California posters are advising us not to come back. I just accepted a job with the Gov but its entry level and not paying much at first. My wife is a math/ science teacher and she is getting called crazy for moving to SoCAL. Hopefully its all noise. We really want to move back to California its home for me. My wife loves it there.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:09 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,623,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You really have a hard time grasping any point of view and opinion aside for your own apparently. What you may consider a "dump", others may not. And considering some of those dumps are probably places you've never lived, or even visited, then you aren't that informed to make such a judgement.

Unfortunately all those interesting and beautiful landscapes that CA possesses still doesn't make living here worth it for a lot of people. I know that must be hard for you to grasp but try closing your eyes and thinking really hard than not everyone values the same thing you do. Many people would hate living in the middle of nowhere type places you seem to be advocating.
I have been most places, and I know a bunch about most places. Take Las Vegas for example, My wife lived there, my middle child was born there. I worked in Nevada most of my adult life. Las Vegas is a dump, you can try to put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

That said, I would take Las Vegas over anything south of the Conejo Grade. At least from Las Vegas you can get to empty country quickly.

Now if the poster said they lived in Pioche, or even Panaca, I would have commended them for their great idea.
Trust me, or not, but, if I make a statement it is based on facts, knowledge and experience.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post
Winters are rough here but in Chicago and Michigan they are prepared for them. Its snows and sleets here and the power is out for days if not weeks! The town literally shuts down at the hint of snow. You're trapped in the house during a good portion of the winter. Just not fun! Don't get me wrong the people here are some the nicest people you will ever meet.

We plan on moving to the Santa Barbara area of California. Since we have been posting on City Data a lot of the California posters are advising us not to come back. I just accepted a job with the Gov but its entry level and not paying much at first. My wife is a math/ science teacher and she is getting called crazy for moving to SoCAL. Hopefully its all noise. We really want to move back to California its home for me. My wife loves it there.

You will like the Santa Barbara area, I would not go south of Ventura, but, Ventura is decent, Ojai is a hoot, Santa Barbara is a one in a million city.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post

We do shut down for 1" of snow. Thank God the blue-collar workers who take care of our powerlines and gas pipes have 4-wheel drive pickups, they actually need them when the state sometimes treats the snow-covered roads poorly. Now...that ice storm in 2009 was unprecedented and devastating; even though they were well-prepared, most of my relatives in western KY still had their power knocked out for 2-4 weeks!! I saw the damage to massive, 50+ year old trees right after the ice melted and, lemme tell ya, WOW! When I came to L.A. in 2009 and people asked me where I was from, I kid you not, TWO people mentioned that ice storm. It made national news and was crippling to the state's economy.

I have friends telling me I'm crazy for wanting to move to California...or Texas. Hopefully it's all noise, too. I will say, though, that California school systems have laid off thousands of teachers, so I don't know how that will bode for your wife. Ventura County continues to be a relatively fast-growing country, I would think she'd have her best/more likely chances there.

But, remember, how often does it snow in Southern California? (Except up in the high mountains, obviously.) Remember that if you ever second-guess your decision to move back to CA.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
We had a dream, to live in the forested mountains & to be the caretaker of the land & a basspond. For several years we searched fer our spot, while on vacations, etc.

In 1987 we found our spot, 80 acres for $44k. It is on the side of a beautiful, forested mountain with a basspond, several artesian springs, a year round creek. The mountains protect us from the wind. There is very little wind here. Our spring water comes gravity flow from farther up the mountain.

We have happily lived here since. We truly love living here, between the Rogue & Umpqua Rivers.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 PM

901 posts, read 1,890,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Electricity rates are too expensive Los Angeles is 0.198 per kwh, Las Vegas is $ 0.30037 kWh I think that is higher for Las Vegas

High taxes There is a 3% difference between total tax burden
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Wow, I didn't realize it was so high there, we're paying $0.085578, Seattle is $0.0461 for the first 10 KWH/day, then $0.0956 after that.
Not sure where .highnlite got his data, but he's wrong. I just received my electric bill from NVEnergy today. Rates were $0.11924 KWH and dropped to $0.11873 KWH on 4/1/11. If it matters, I live in Las Vegas.

I've also gone round and round with him on taxes in the NV forum. He may fit into the 3% tax differential, but many do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You really have a hard time grasping any point of view and opinion aside for your own apparently. What you may consider a "dump", others may not. And considering some of those dumps are probably places you've never lived, or even visited, then you aren't that informed to make such a judgement.

Unfortunately all those interesting and beautiful landscapes that CA possesses still doesn't make living here worth it for a lot of people. I know that must be hard for you to grasp but try closing your eyes and thinking really hard than not everyone values the same thing you do. Many people would hate living in the middle of nowhere type places you seem to be advocating.
Thank you. Very well said.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Not sure where .highnlite got his data, but he's wrong. I just received my electric bill from NVEnergy today. Rates were $0.11924 KWH and dropped to $0.11873 KWH on 4/1/11. If it matters, I live in Las Vegas.

From nvenergy.com

I've also gone round and round with him on taxes in the NV forum. He may fit into the 3% tax differential, but many do not.

You have? I don't recollect posting on the NV forum

3% tax differential...... The Tax Foundation - Map: State-Local Tax Burdens and Ranks by State, 2009

Thank you. Very well said.

People will defend their decisions, even if their decisions take them to depressing places. If you had stated you moved to a town 50 or 100 miles north of Clark County, I would have commended you, but Las Vegas? boring.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM

901 posts, read 1,890,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite
You have? I don't recollect posting on the NV forum
I believe you may have multiple personality disorder. You mean to tell me that these two CD users are (were) not you? Both posted quite extensively in the NV forum. The only difference between you and the two below is the "." in the username. Read some of the posts - the tone is strikingly similar to yours.

"Highnlite" - http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...te-919840.html

"Highnlite." - http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...e--976145.html

Electricity rates. There's a ton of different rates for residential service, multifamily homes, etc. In another thread, you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
So, I guess you can quote from the internet all day, or you could listen to someone who weighed the advantages and disadvantages.
So, regarding electricity rates, I guess you can quote from the internet all day, or you could listen to someone who simply reads their electric bill.

Quote:
Again, you can quote from the internet all day, or you can listen to someone who weighed the advantages and disadvantages. My total burden (fed and state) dropped approx 38% and I'm paying approx 70% less to NV than I did to CA. Each situation is different and won't fit into your one size fits all scenario.

Quote:
People will defend their decisions, even if their decisions take them to depressing places. If you had stated you moved to a town 50 or 100 miles north of Clark County, I would have commended you, but Las Vegas? boring.
No one needs your blessing to be happy in life. I'm happy here, you're happy there, others are happy in Maine, South Dakota, Chicago, etc.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:30 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
We moved from California to an island south of Detroit.

Our primary reason to move to this area was to be near family again, but we moved for a lot of reasons:

1. We were concerned about the moral and social atmosphere of Southern California for raising our kids (Materialism, self-centeredness, plasticness, it is hard to describe, but most parents understand what we are talking about).

2. We did not like the lack of space, no clean air, no streams, rivers or lakes, no woods, etc. Our kids played in an huge empty parking lot on the weekends. We could not allow them to freely ride their bikes wherever they wanted.

3. We lived in an area with bad schools. There were places with better schools, but we would have to massively downsize our house and our lifestyle to live there. Our older kids were attending an execellent charter school, but the younger ones were in a private school. We were paying $12,000 a year for private school and that was about to jump to $36,000 (one child was $12,000, another child was about to start school, and another had a full scholarship that the school said they were uncertain if they could renew - school was $12,000 per kid).

4. We wanted to move due to some changes in the area where we lived, but we could not find any place that we wanted to move to that would fit our needs and interests in a house that we could afford.

5. We were concerned about the condition and habits of the State government.

6. My wife did not like to weather in So. Cal. She found it boring and the Santa Ana winds made her really sick for three weeks every year. .

7. The harried rush rush rush lifestyle was making us nuts.

8. We do not play Keep up with the Joneses, therefore we did not fit in very well to the general society (we found down to earth people, but we had to stick to our group, in many situations, OC people found us puzzling, or wierd).

9. It was time for a change.

We had a nice situation in Orange County. We lived les sthan a mile from my office. I had an enviable career, we loved our church and our community (for the most part), we had a lot of very good friends. We did not hate Sothern California. Some things we miss terribly. I still work for California clients and live in Orange County on and off as needed so I am back a lot and I am often please dto be there despite being away from my family.

After about a year, we made a list of what we liked better in each place, and it was about a push. We found some things were marvelous, some things we miss terribly. It surprised us what we missed the most. Not what we expected.

We miss mountains and foothills (it is pretty flat here), friends (it is harder to make friends here, even thoguh people are generally nicer, they are not as openly friendly), resturaunts. We do not miss the beaches, the weather, or the culture as much as we expected to. Obviously we do not miss the smog, traffic, crowds, lack of trees or water (all that is obvious). Remarkably, we do a lot more outdoors here than we did when we lived in Orange County. I think that is because the madly chanigng weather tends to draw the kids outside, but when it never changes, they just say "ho hum, andther perfect day, lets go play video games, it iwll be nice tomorrow too"

Things ar emore formal here, I get odd looks when I wear my Hawaiian shirts. I had to buy a sportcoat./

Old 04-15-2011, 03:41 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac n cheese View Post
Just curious.

I moved to New York, then Hoboken, NJ until I could figure out where to settle (still looking for that laid back northeastern city that emulates the California lifestyle).

Moved out because I hate hot weather (and that was in norcal), and I wanted to get as far away from the parents as possible.

You?
We left about 30 years ago, but still own property there. We thought it was sold, long story and not worth explaining. Anyway, we left for a job in Wash D.C. many of our friends returned to CA after a few years, we choose to semi retire in Dallas to be closer to our 3 kids who had relocated as well, The rest is history. Now we are enjoying the wonderful experience of combining rural life with all the conceniences we need. We have wide open spaces, wildlife at our back door, great neighbors and are still within 20 minutes of good restaurants, medical facilities, art centers, music productions and shopping.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California