Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
California--the SF area--was the perfect place for us to spend our young and middle adult years--it was paradise for us as we loved the outdoors. SF was close enough to go to Tahoe, Lassen, Shasta, Yosemite or Bodega or Tomales Bay for a long weekend or just to Oakland to hike in Redwood Park or the other great East Bay parks. Once I met a cougar while hiking, and often came across coyotes.

But time changes us all and I, especially, grew tired the Bay area density, concrete, rising crime, noise, traffic and pollution. The population had grown so much over the years. I longed for serenity and peace.

We left for the other coast in 2003 and now live in a small North Carolina coastal community. It's very, very different than the Bay area in more ways than I can list. But you know something? I've made closer friends here than I ever made in the Bay area--friends who are locals and friends who have moved here from "off."

I wrote a book here--there was enough quietude to do so. But I set my book (Falling Through Time) in the wilds of Siskiyou County in a real little town called Happy Camp. And the heroine is an advertising executive from SF!

My life is more peaceful now..I ride my bike along quiet lanes daily. But I will always miss California. In many ways it is my spiritual home. There is no place like Yosemite or the Sierra Range of Light. Skiing in Tahoe on newly fallen snow with Lake Tahoe gleaming at your feet like a blue jewel is a vision of beauty beyond description. But I had that in my backyard for 30 years and I can conjure the memory at will.

These days I awake to birdsong and not a jet thundering overhead or the racket of a helicopter tracking some miscreant.

Life's always a trade-off, isn't it? I'm calmer now, blooming where I'm planted.
I think that's great. Truly.

But what you describe isn't an "escape from California's hysteria to N. Carolina's serenity". What you describe is escape from "urban madness to country tranquility". Someone leaving Raleigh-Durham and moving to Mendocino could have written the same experience. Or from San Francisco to Mendocino.

That said, I am all for pretty much everyone leaving California -- to me alone

Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
And the heroine is an advertising executive from SF!
I just hope she isn't like Sharon Stone, or her friend Roxie, in "Basic Instinct."

Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

Uhhhh....

Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Uhhhh....
Ooooookay, coupla youse can stay --

Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
I think that's great. Truly.

But what you describe isn't an "escape from California's hysteria to N. Carolina's serenity". What you describe is escape from "urban madness to country tranquility". Someone leaving Raleigh-Durham and moving to Mendocino could have written the same experience. Or from San Francisco to Mendocino.

Hahha, yeah but what is the likelihood even with all the whining which occurs regardless of good times or bad? I think we have the highest percentage of squatting whiners vs. get up and go whiners. Let's face it. Its much easier to sit around and bemoan the no good politicians as the source of all one's personal problems in 60-70 degree weather, than somewhere else its snowing.

Derek

Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hahha, yeah but what is the likelihood even with all the whining which occurs regardless of good times or bad? I think we have the highest percentage of squatting whiners vs. get up and go whiners. Let's face it. Its much easier to sit around and bemoan the no good politicians as the source of all one's personal problems in 60-70 degree weather, than somewhere else its snowing.

Derek
It ain't the politicians, Derek. It's the people who gripe about them unceasingly yet keep reelecting them or, when that's not possible, their spouses, parents, siblings, cousins, etc.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It ain't the politicians, Derek. It's the people who gripe about them unceasingly yet keep reelecting them or, when that's not possible, their spouses, parents, siblings, cousins, etc.
Chief, I'm not so sure Derek and I are talking about things like politician's actually being the problem. He'll have to confirm for himself, but my point on the issue you [correctly] identify is that politics is merely one of a zillion perhaps necessary evils that come with civilization ... and that people tend to place blame there rather than look inside themselves for the answers to their lives' chaos. Politicians are really just an expression of society's trends -- and most strongly of society's weakest vulnerabilities. Getting sucked into that is part of the cycle of its perpetuation, of course.

Anyway, asking for rational analysis and cooperative effort from a frantic and vastly diverse electorate is a weak premise for successful governance. Which is why the Founding Fathers designed our country to be a democratic republic rather than a pure democracy. But even now we can see that ultimately the design's potentials for abuse are manifest. All the more reason for individuals to find their meaning in life outside of political obfuscations. No?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM

128 posts, read 455,218 times
i visited california few times. now way would i ever live there. happy to be in FLORIDA

Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool Florida View Post
i visited california few times. now way would i ever live there. happy to be in FLORIDA
And we're happy you are there! (and not here). Mmmmmwah!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Chief, I'm not so sure Derek and I are talking about things like politician's actually being the problem. He'll have to confirm for himself, but my point on the issue you [correctly] identify is that politics is merely one of a zillion perhaps necessary evils that come with civilization ... and that people tend to place blame there rather than look inside themselves for the answers to their lives' chaos. Politicians are really just an expression of society's trends -- and most strongly of society's weakest vulnerabilities. Getting sucked into that is part of the cycle of its perpetuation, of course.

Anyway, asking for rational analysis and cooperative effort from a frantic and vastly diverse electorate is a weak premise for successful governance. Which is why the Founding Fathers designed our country to be a democratic republic rather than a pure democracy. But even now we can see that ultimately the design's potentials for abuse are manifest. All the more reason for individuals to find their meaning in life outside of political obfuscations. No?
Yes indeed. These are merely easy targets to hoist all one's frustrations on, regardless of affiliations, red, blue, etc... Neither side has the miracle cure for what ails society. The system is inherently flawed to begin with, hence there will always be someone to blame. In California its Moonbeam now. In the nation its Obama's fault. Before that it was Bush's fault... Next year it will be the new guy's fault (etch-a-sketch Romney if he wins) and on and on it goes. Looking toward a political savior as a cure for all that ails society is a search for fools gold. It will simply never happen. Doesn't mean one shouldn't vote. But to expect a major life change based on the results of an election is setting one's self up for disillusionment and frustation. Hence the whining which always ensues. This hasn't changed and never will. Looking for meaning, fullfilment, beauty, satisfaction, etc... in life outside the political process is a more realistic pursuit.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California