Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't encourage the commute from Ventura. You won't save enough on rent, your gas bill will be higher, and the commute has become a bigger PITA than in years past. You may find some deal in Goleta to your liking and you won't have a 45-60 minute commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 PM

69 posts, read 199,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I wouldn't encourage the commute from Ventura. You won't save enough on rent, your gas bill will be higher, and the commute has become a bigger PITA than in years past. You may find some deal in Goleta to your liking and you won't have a 45-60 minute commute.
Thanks it seems we will be focusing a search in that area. I did not think about the commute from Ventura being that expensive.

Coming to city data is like getting a slap of reality. We were all up for the move after relatives and friends were all excited about us moving back. We are going to have to rethink our approach to this relocation.

I don't intend to being ungrateful of the responses. But after several weeks of lurking on City Data whenever someone says they are moving to CA in general it seems to be met with many advising them not to. Is it REALLY as bad as they say it is in the media. My family is hard to gauge because their reply is "its as hard as it ever was here (SoCAL), not much worse. We all do it so can you." in so many words.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
You won't be saving a nest egg on 35K while paying to live in Santa Barbara (or most anywhere in coastal CA). I think it can be done, but you have to be creative about it. The drive to and from Ventura is very nice, but not if you're doing it during rush hour 5 times a week. Gas is over 4 bucks a gallon right now, so keep that in mind regarding where you decide to live.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:31 PM

Thanks I agree. As this is an entry level position with the Fed. I know its totally up to me to increase my pay. What I mean by that is my performance will have dictate my pay. So I know I am not going to remain at 35K. We were really hoping for my wife's salary to carry us over once it kicked in with teaching. So I am not looking to save a bundle at the start just want to know we wont be among the working homeless!

Thank you again for the info about the commute. That will play an important part when determining where to live.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:32 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post
Thanks it seems we will be focusing a search in that area. I did not think about the commute from Ventura being that expensive.

Coming to city data is like getting a slap of reality. We were all up for the move after relatives and friends were all excited about us moving back. We are going to have to rethink our approach to this relocation.

I don't intend to being ungrateful of the responses. But after several weeks of lurking on City Data whenever someone says they are moving to CA in general it seems to be met with many advising them not to. Is it REALLY as bad as they say it is in the media. My family is hard to gauge because their reply is "its as hard as it ever was here (SoCAL), not much worse. We all do it so can you." in so many words.
I would not worry about the naysayers, those who lost their dream will try to wreck yours.

35,000 a year will be tough, your rent should be no more than 30% of your income, say 10,000 a year divided by 12 means you should pay no more than $850 per month.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 PM

81 posts, read 170,548 times
Quote:
Hahaha! I have lived many years in different areas of Los Angeles making much less than 35K. I was comfortable too. But I think I know what you're saying.

The Federal gig is the last stop for me I have served in the Army for about 10 years and currently work in Health Care. I have just finished school and we are looking to try coming back home. This opportunity came through after a year of trying. We aren't expecting it to be easy but we dont want to kill ourselves trying to make it work and we dont want to stress our folks out either in the process.

I do appreciate the advice please add any that you may have. We both will read each one with great attention.
Yes, 35K is not much in California but you have a job and you and your wife will not starve to death or be homeless on that. You just won't be able to 'live large' for the time being on one income. Yes you can move to SB (probably Goleta or Ventura) in a small studio or 1BD to star off. It's doable. It's not impossible. Working in health care you have many options available to you. It's actually one of the few areas of growth in California. As for teaching, I can't give you an informed opinion on jobs but I know there have been many cuts throughout California in education. Perhaps private school jobs? Maybe your wife will find something else related that will fulfill her? Anyway, not impossible to move out to California with a job lined up, to 'get you going'. If you are so passionate about it, you should give it a try. If it doesn't work out, what's the worst that could happen? You go back home.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:54 AM

Thanks larachris
for those words of encouragement. We really want to give it a try. We are well aware that it wont be easy. We dont intend on living above our means. I intend on scouring craigslist for a few days and see what I can find as far as renting.

Also thanks for the tip on private school. I am an actually a product of a Los Angeles area private school, shame on me for not thinking about that earlier. We will surely investigate. Thanks for all the info I will surely keep you all posted on whatever we do.

Feel free to add any other tips or views on our situation.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:

The hard thing to know about this is what kind of person you are. Some people are willing to make the tough trade offs to live in coastal CA, but most people who grew up in most other parts of the country wouldn't be. If you're expecting anything resembing a typical middle class American lifestyle on 35K in SB, forget it. Even doubling that salary is not going to be a luxury lifestyle. It doesn't mean it can't be done...but as someone else said, you and your wife may be better off renting a master bedroom from someone rather than a 1 Bedroom apartment (at least until she finds a job). $1200 a month really is too much rent if you're only making 35K. The most you should be paying on that income is $950 a month...and even that is stretching it. I would NOT recommend renting based on the premise that your wife is going to get a decent paying job quickly. The downside if you're wrong is way too high. If you are too conservative and your wife gets a decent paying job quickly, you can always upgrade your living space when the time comes.

It also depends on your future goals. Do you want kids? If so, I really don't think coastal CA is very family friendly because of the high costs. I don't know about SB specifically, but generally, the schools in the "average" school districts are not very good. The cost of living in better than average districts is even more astronoical than usual. BUt if kids are not part of the equation, it may be worth it to tough it out.

Also, how flexible is your wife? Is she willing to take some other kind of work if she can't find a regular teaching job?

Another issue is that home ownership may be out of the question for you, unless you and your wife have great earning potential (doesn't sound like it based on your posts) and/or unless you're willing to live in unconventional ways (eg rent out all the bedrooms for 5 or 10 years to hep pay the mortgage). If you don't mind renting the rest of your life, then no problem.

I wouldn't just go with what your relatives are saying (along the lines of "we're sort of struggling, you can too!"). It's important to do some inner work and figure out what is important to YOU. Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I also second the idea of living as close to work as possible. Gas is approaching or above $4 a gallon here. Long commutes also steal a lot of your time and put a lot of wear and tear on your car...those are the hidden costs that people forget about when considering a long commute. I've also noticed quite a few people tend to put on weight when doing long commutes, because they don't have time to exercise and succumb to the temptation of unhealthy fast food....and that also leads to higher health care costs down the road (pun sort of intended).

Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 PM

I mentioned this earlier but I think some of your are missing it. I moved from Los Angeles about 8 years ago I am moving back to California now. So I know about California. Theres nothing you can't tell me about Los Angeles County I don't already know. What I am concerned with is living in the SB area. I just wanted to clear that up because I the responses are as if I am from the Midwest originally. My wife however is from the midwest but she is keen on LA area as well. We both aren't new to CA, just SB/Ventura.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,493 times
Quote:
Yes EAST is correct that was a mistake on my part. I apologize. Okay we are hearing mixed reports about teaching jobs. My relatives in LA all say that its SF and LA Unified School Districts that taking the hit on layoffs. My sister whom is a Director of an educational non profit says that its mostly bad teachers or teachers who teach things that aren't english, math, and science. Don't know how true that is for the SB area.

Don't know if they are hiring but have your wife check out the Open Alternative School. There would probably be some opportunity for tutoring as well. I would advertise in Montecito where there is a lot of $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California