U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:02 PM

115 posts, read 178,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The wife and me saw a guy in the pants with a thong while we were buying groceries, it was pretty darn discusting.
OK, now I support any law that puts a stop to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,743,100 times
Personally, I greatly appreciate baggy pants. First, they give continuity between generations. I mean, these young males live in a world where there's maybe fifteen years between generations: frequently less. And pants have been saggin' for as long as I can remember. So, these guys' Fathers and Grandfathers are running around with baggy britches, too! OK....at least the Fathers and Grandfathers who aren't in Prison, or dead from an overdose, or dead from killin' each other up an' all. And maybe Fathers and Grandfathers are less appropriate terms than Sperm Donors and Grandspermdonors. But it's like this sartorial tradition is a sort of intergenerational family value.

Second, they make these fine specimens easier to apprehend. Once, we were looking out the window at my Office, at a morbidly obese Policewoman chasing a young male (attempted carjacking). The pants came down and...pantsed him! She caught him! Without the saggybritches coming into play, he would have gotten away, and she would be dead with a Heart Attack.

Third, Saggybritches make Underserved Youth far more easily identifiable. They let me know that if I want to help others help themselves (to, for example, my Automobile), all I have to do is stop near them and get out of my car. Too, this mode of dress gives me precisely the knowledge I need, regarding their trustworthiness and abilities to comprehend and complete tasks (ZERO). Too, these wonderful pants allow me to make quick assessments regarding potential property appreciation. Maybe I'm cruising through Seattle, looking at an office block offered at a sweeeeeet price, and wondering why...then I spot many Underserved Youths standing on the sidewalk (probably waiting to help Old Ladies to cross the street...or maybe it's their sneakers caught up on that Power Line, and they're waiting for friendly Firemen to come and get them down...). Well, at that moment, I have clear-as-a-bell vision of precisely how much profit I'd make snapping up that bargain parcel!

And most importantly: where would they put their guns?

I think it would be a great tragedy if Government Interference were to bring an end to this fine sartorial tradition.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:07 AM

6,920 posts, read 6,915,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Personally, I greatly appreciate baggy pants. First, they give continuity between generations. I mean, these young males live in a world where there's maybe fifteen years between generations: frequently less. And pants have been saggin' for as long as I can remember. So, these guys' Fathers and Grandfathers are running around with baggy britches, too! OK....at least the Fathers and Grandfathers who aren't in Prison, or dead from an overdose, or dead from killin' each other up an' all. And maybe Fathers and Grandfathers are less appropriate terms than Sperm Donors and Grandspermdonors. But it's like this sartorial tradition is a sort of intergenerational family value.

Second, they make these fine specimens easier to apprehend. Once, we were looking out the window at my Office, at a morbidly obese Policewoman chasing a young male (attempted carjacking). The pants came down and...pantsed him! She caught him! Without the saggybritches coming into play, he would have gotten away, and she would be dead with a Heart Attack.

Third, Saggybritches make Underserved Youth far more easily identifiable. They let me know that if I want to help others help themselves (to, for example, my Automobile), all I have to do is stop near them and get out of my car. Too, this mode of dress gives me precisely the knowledge I need, regarding their trustworthiness and abilities to comprehend and complete tasks (ZERO). Too, these wonderful pants allow me to make quick assessments regarding potential property appreciation. Maybe I'm cruising through Seattle, looking at an office block offered at a sweeeeeet price, and wondering why...then I spot many Underserved Youths standing on the sidewalk (probably waiting to help Old Ladies to cross the street...or maybe it's their sneakers caught up on that Power Line, and they're waiting for friendly Firemen to come and get them down...). Well, at that moment, I have clear-as-a-bell vision of precisely how much profit I'd make snapping up that bargain parcel!

And most importantly: where would they put their guns?

I think it would be a great tragedy if Government Interference were to bring an end to this fine sartorial tradition.

I realize that the above was in jest, but its this exact kind of viewpoint that makes today's kids not kids not care about being "presentable"... half of society writes them off in a split second just based on what they look like.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 AM

19,302 posts, read 16,668,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I realize that the above was in jest, but its this exact kind of viewpoint that makes today's kids not kids not care about being "presentable"... half of society writes them off in a split second just based on what they look like.
Yeah, but only half. I probably give them two seconds before I write them off!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,346,216 times
I am currently looking to hire 5 people here at work. These jobs will START at $18.00 per hour plus benefits! Jobs are scarce here in west Tennessee. These young "men" showing up with pants sagging,NY Yankee hat on side ways,boxer shorts showing and bling hanging everywhere, have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a job! If you cant take a few extra minutes to make sure you look respectable and presentable, then I see no reason to think you will take the time and effort to be a good employee! But then again I havent heard anyone mention the massive amounts of common sense possessed by todays youth either!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,547,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
But then again I havent heard anyone mention the massive amounts of common sense possessed by todays youth either!
I'm sure they have no less common sense than kids in places like West Tennessee had 20 or 50 years ago. Keep in mind you're not going to find the same youth culture in places like that as you would in other more affluent and educated metro suburban areas around the country. Believe me, most middle class kids where I am in Northern Virginia don't wear baggy pants or sideways baseball caps.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:30 PM

19,302 posts, read 16,668,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm sure they have no less common sense than kids in places like West Tennessee had 20 or 50 years ago. Keep in mind you're not going to find the same youth culture in places like that as you would in other more affluent and educated metro suburban areas around the country. Believe me, most middle class kids where I am in Northern Virginia don't wear baggy pants or sideways baseball caps.
That was certainly my impression when I lived in Northern Virginia in the late 50s and again in the mid-70s. One of my favorite places in memory, but I'm sure it's changed a lot in 30+ years.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:20 PM

17,335 posts, read 12,321,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I am currently looking to hire 5 people here at work. These jobs will START at $18.00 per hour plus benefits! Jobs are scarce here in west Tennessee. These young "men" showing up with pants sagging,NY Yankee hat on side ways,boxer shorts showing and bling hanging everywhere, have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a job! If you cant take a few extra minutes to make sure you look respectable and presentable, then I see no reason to think you will take the time and effort to be a good employee! But then again I havent heard anyone mention the massive amounts of common sense possessed by todays youth either!
Well a few years ago I was hiring for an entry level position for a recent raduate, and I picked a baggy pants wearing candidate. (He was dressed appropriately in the interview, but on a casual Friday he wore a hoodie and baggy jeans) The owners of the company expressed concern about him based on his clothing (there were no work performance issues). Oddly, he dressed up more than all other men in the company, he wore a tie and slacks daily in a tech company where the daily uniform was khakis or jeans and a polo shirt.

After a few months, year whatever the owners came back to me and said, you know we were hesitant about him because of his clothing, but he is one of the best employees ever!

We no longer work together directly, but these days he's got a great mid-level role at a really successful company and has been promoted 2X in 18 months.

You never know.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM

17,335 posts, read 12,321,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You haven't spent much time in California. There are two styles for the kids: hipster or hip hop. But today's hip hop kids sag their skinny jeans. Only old people are still wearing saggy pants.

My funniest experience ever was when I worked with a woman who though she was so posh and upper class (she was a mid 40s white and lived in an affluent area) -- in reality she was very snooty. The first thing was when her cell phone ringer went off and played Dr. Dre (?!?!?!), she looked shocked, embarrassed and appalled when people called her out on such a loud and obnoxious ringtone. Then her teenaged son came in and tripped down the office hall trying to walk in his saggy pants and sideways baseball cap. Boy we were cracking up for weeks after that.

I do wish that some kids learned there is a time and a place for every outfit, and how to choose wisely.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,547,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You haven't spent much time in California. There are two styles for the kids: hipster or hip hop. But today's hip hop kids sag their skinny jeans. Only old people are still wearing saggy pants. .
Only my first 32 years. I was born there and went to CA public school all the way through UC and grad school at CSUF. However, in recent years I've only been back to visit. If you read back through my earlier posts you'll see my comment that this is at least a five years ago issue, even here on the other coast. That said, I seriously doubt if I went back to my old high school I'd find only those two styles. Gotta believe there'd be a few preps and surfers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California