Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

All state employees deserve a decent pay & benefits like everyone else but their has to be a line drawn somewhere. The unions are stepping over the line as well as jerry brown & the democratic legislature (incl some republicans).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 10:27 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And your are actually naive enough to buy into everything they say as truth? Why don't you go talk to some inmates and get a different point of view. Such as how guards will sleep at the prison so they can collect overtime. The Prison Guards union is by far the most corrupt, god awful union in Ca and that say quite a lot. Arnold was the only politician willing to stand up to them and they actually tried to recall him because of it. It's pretty sad that people out there like you support such waste, fraud, and abuse because you're too wrapped up in your own ideological BS to see what a corrupt union this is.
I worked in a prison in the mid 1990s and I agree with this 100%. Sounds like it's only gotten worse since then.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I wouldn't work for a union for all the money in the world. Being surrounded by lazy, entitled thugs isn't my idea of a great work place. I like to be around folks that are all motivated to do a good job, get ahead and know that they need to stay on top of their game to stay employed.

I work in the public sector. Ok, I get it. Our benefits (and, in some cases, pay) are out of line with reality. Some unions (like the prison guards) are worse than others. But most people I work with are quite motivated to do a good job and do decent work. I can only speak from my little corner of the world....but we've been streamlining, automating, and doing more with less staff for quite a few years now. Yes, I know, that's been happening in the private sector, too. But the majority of public sector workers are not as lazy and unmotivated as you portray.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-24-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Most of the people who complain that union members work harder and get better treatment out of employers are too lazy and stupid to fight for the same treatment from their own employer. If they banded together and actually fought for it then they'd likely get it but since that would require personal effort they simply sit around and whine all day about folks who actually do put the extra effort in.
What effort? Once the system is in place, union members don't make any more effort than anyone else.

IMO, what would really save the middle class would be if they rediscovered the value of saving, divorcing less, and not having kids out of wedlock (both of which are financial killers). It seems a few have woken up to this, but many more need to. But in a sense, you are right.....these things require discipline and sacrifice, abeit of a different variety than what you've described. I'm descriing a defensive strategy and yours is more offensive. I think the best offense is a good defense.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-24-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 06:01 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What effort? Once the system is in place, union members don't make any more effort than anyone else.

IMO, what would really save the middle class would be if they rediscovered the value of saving, divorcing less, and not having kids out of wedlock (both of which are financial killers). It seems a few have woken up to this, but many more need to. But in a sense, you are right.....these things require discipline and sacrifice, abeit of a different variety than what you've described. I'm descriing a defensive strategy and yours is more offensive. I think the best offense is a good defense.
mysticaltyger,
You have the perfect answer to the major problems we are facing in not only the United States but the world. Too many in our society think that hedonism is freedom. That concept has almost destroyed us.

GL2

Old 04-24-2011, 06:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
mysticaltyger,
You have the perfect answer to the major problems we are facing in not only the United States but the world. Too many in our society think that hedonism is freedom. That concept has almost destroyed us.

GL2
Mainstream media systematically programmed the idiots of our society to think hedonism is freedom... Hedonism results in more money spent.. Single people spend more money on clothes/etc ... Single people don't have value in family like married people do ... Thus they spend more in hopes to achieve it through material possessions.

People believe less in themselves and more in figureheads, idols, false leaders.... and are very often led astray.

So, you are bombarded with images of the clowns in hollywood who change partners like underwear.. Women were taught ... now that you have a job and freedom... GO run around pretending to be the idiot playboys of the 80s.. spend all your money on clothes... shoes... idiocy ... Have 50 boyfriends... The guy that makes life thrilling... This is what it means to be an empowered women... Even though you work .. get married w/o a cent a bank and still maintain the rule that its a male's job to take care of you.. thus, even though there are two income households why standard of living hasn't improved....

Blame the idiots who became programmed... and sadly there is nothing you can do to change it.. You try convincing them to save more.. cut out their moronic behavior.. they'd probably spit in your face.

Thus, more and more people turn to exploiting them like wallstreet... It's the only way you can offset the negative impact they have on your lives...

So, its very much a precipice .. There is little that can be done to save the zombies.... so more and more people just exploit them.. until boom. I've very much given up after trying and wasting my time for 2 years... They want to be happy ... they don't want to hear the truth.. So, you instead take what you know.. and trade based on it... Make some money for yourself and let the fools be w/ fools and in the dark.

As for leaders, what leader has gotten up and told the masses of America what zombies they have become... What foolishness their lives have become... How programmed they are.. How they are programmed... This wouldn't happen... And thus you have false leaders fooling them even more to keep them complacent and docile.

Good times.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:56 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Mainstream media systematically programmed the idiots of our society to think hedonism is freedom... Hedonism results in more money spent.. Single people spend more money on clothes/etc ... Single people don't have value in family like married people do ... Thus they spend more in hopes to achieve it through material possessions.

People believe less in themselves and more in figureheads, idols, false leaders.... and are very often led astray.

So, you are bombarded with images of the clowns in hollywood who change partners like underwear.. Women were taught ... now that you have a job and freedom... GO run around pretending to be the idiot playboys of the 80s.. spend all your money on clothes... shoes... idiocy ... Have 50 boyfriends... The guy that makes life thrilling... This is what it means to be an empowered women... Even though you work .. get married w/o a cent a bank and still maintain the rule that its a male's job to take care of you.. thus, even though there are two income households why standard of living hasn't improved....

Blame the idiots who became programmed... and sadly there is nothing you can do to change it.. You try convincing them to save more.. cut out their moronic behavior.. they'd probably spit in your face.

Thus, more and more people turn to exploiting them like wallstreet... It's the only way you can offset the negative impact they have on your lives...

So, its very much a precipice .. There is little that can be done to save the zombies.... so more and more people just exploit them.. until boom. I've very much given up after trying and wasting my time for 2 years... They want to be happy ... they don't want to hear the truth.. So, you instead take what you know.. and trade based on it... Make some money for yourself and let the fools be w/ fools and in the dark.

As for leaders, what leader has gotten up and told the masses of America what zombies they have become... What foolishness their lives have become... How programmed they are.. How they are programmed... This wouldn't happen... And thus you have false leaders fooling them even more to keep them complacent and docile.

Good times.
And what kind of motorcycle do you drive?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,170,776 times
Title is misleading, it should be:

"CA's prison guard union just got a little richer thanks to Jerry Brown and the voters who got him into office."

Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Why shouldn't prison guards get vacations?

They are still working all the time. I think if anyone needs a vacation from something a bit more frequently than other occupations, it would be a prison guard.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:15 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Why shouldn't prison guards get vacations?

They are still working all the time. I think if anyone needs a vacation from something a bit more frequently than other occupations, it would be a prison guard.
It doesn't sound like you read the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California