Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Obviously you need a fact check. Less than 400 total with 181 in the wild?

After they are immunized, hand fed, eggs raised in an incubator and have baby sitters out in the wild. That is not thriving.
Quote:
Further
additions to the wild population come from chicks fledged from natural nests by breeding pairs
that formed on their own after release
. In Arizona birds subsist on food they find themselves for
much of the year
http://ca.audubon.org/pdf/AOU_CONDOR_REPORT_Aug08_final.pdf (broken link)

Let me guess, the National Audobon society and the AOU aren't credible right? What excuses are you going to have now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 04:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
http://ca.audubon.org/pdf/AOU_CONDOR_REPORT_Aug08_final.pdf (broken link)

Let me guess, the National Audobon society and the AOU aren't credible right? What excuses are you going to have now?
Are you kidding me with that post? HHMMMMM Lets test the thriving supposition based on information from the very non partisan Audobon Society. To Quote from your own article:

"California, Arizona, Utah and Baja California, Mexico.
Today, in the summer of 2008, there are more than 300 condors, more than 150 of which are in
the wild. The wild birds face severe challenges, however, and survive only through constant
human assistance and intervention. The intensive management required to maintain the birds in
nature, as well as the ongoing monitoring and captive breeding programs, are tremendously
expensive and become more so as the population grows."

This was in the first paragraph of the introduction. Similar statements are found throughout the report. Sorry thriving is not the word to describe this program. Fringe Environmental Wackadoo money pit program is a more appropriate definition.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Are you kidding me with that post? HHMMMMM Lets test the thriving supposition based on information from the very non partisan Audobon Society. To Quote from your own article:

"California, Arizona, Utah and Baja California, Mexico.
Today, in the summer of 2008, there are more than 300 condors, more than 150 of which are in
the wild. The wild birds face severe challenges, however, and survive only through constant
human assistance and intervention. The intensive management required to maintain the birds in
nature, as well as the ongoing monitoring and captive breeding programs, are tremendously
expensive and become more so as the population grows."

This was in the first paragraph of the introduction. Similar statements are found throughout the report. Sorry thriving is not the word to describe this program. Environmental Wackadoo money pit program is a more appropriate definition.
This does not mean the birds are not thriving. This means that like all reintroductions of critically endangered species, continued support is needed until there are enough bird in a given population so that monitoring is no longer required. You clearly do not understand this. The Whooping Crane is another example, one of it's reintroduced populations no longer requires close monitoring but others do. The Trumpeter Swan is scarcely monitored at all anymore and is sustaining itself after having been endangered, Peregrine Falcons are nearing that point and they were treated like the Condors are now. The difference is that Condors reproduce much more slowly. Why are you trying to know something you clearly don't know?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This does not mean the birds are not thriving. This means that like all reintroductions of critically endangered species, continued support is needed until there are enough bird in a given population so that monitoring is no longer required. You clearly do not understand this. The Whooping Crane is another example, one of it's reintroduced populations no longer requires close monitoring but others do. The Trumpeter Swan is scarcely monitored at all anymore and is sustaining itself after having been endangered, Peregrine Falcons are nearing that point and they were treated like the Condors are now. The difference is that Condors reproduce much more slowly. Why are you trying to know something you clearly don't know?
You can believe any fantasy that you like. Its a free country. The California Condor will never again be a viable wild species. After millions and millions of dollars of tax payer money wasted it will be relegated to wildlife parks and zoo attractions with captive breeding programs to maintain the species.

Maybe some day it will be cross bred with another species or genetically engineered to increase viability in the wild. Until that day its just a plain waste of money and resources better spent on other species that actually contribute positively to the ecosystem.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Gentoo, apparently the work to save the condors is, like climate change, a liberal plot to destroy or at least socialize America. There is no reasoning with the righties, they operate on beliefs not facts.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Gentoo, apparently the work to save the condors is, like climate change, a liberal plot to destroy or at least socialize America. There is no reasoning with the righties, they operate on beliefs not facts.

Nothing of worth to contribute again I see. At least Gentoo however misguided his/her posts maybe is at least providing information and arguments to support the debate of the topic within this thread. You could always go climb a mountain, feed the condors and check for lead laden carcasses if you are looking for something meaningful to contribute.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
But you are still wrong on most of your facts, that is easily shown, you and DonB are cosmic soulmates.

All your personal attacks can't change that.

The condors are thriving, that is a good thing, and should be a good thing what ever your political ideology.

Remember when Conservatives Conserved? TR would be very pleased that we have brought the condor back from near extinction.
Did you own The Stuft Shirt Restaurant in Newport Beach or did they just name it after you when you were young?

It was right across the bay from us, on Coast Highway. We could dock there to eat.

http://www.latimemachines.com/066nz.jpg (broken link)

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)

Old 04-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
It was right across the bay from us, on Coast Highway. We could dock there to eat.
Back when you were hunting for sport?

Try this Curmie, get your facts straight, then post.

Quote:
Nothing of worth to contribute again I see. At least Gentoo however misguided his/her posts maybe is at least providing information and arguments to support the debate of the topic within this thread. You could always go climb a mountain, feed the condors and check for lead laden carcasses if you are looking for something meaningful to contribute.
One cannot have a discussion with an ideologue, a "true believer"
Quote:
The facts on which the true believer bases his conclusions must not be derived from his experience or observation but from holy writ."
Conservative ideologues continually show that their conclusions are not based on fact or observation, but by what they think should be true.

Now, before you dismiss what I say as more liberal hogwash, may I remind you that I am no liberal, but merely the last member of the Bullmoose Party, it would be hard to fit a knife blade between what I think, and what Teddy Roosevelt thought. Back to condors, he worked hard all his life to conserve what he called "Citizen Bird". Works for me.

Or as Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

Jesus would have considered condors as his brothers and sisters as both were created by god.

And conversely"Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’"

and from Genesis;
Quote:
God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth,

Old 04-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
Whenever I hear greenies talk about saving endangered species I can't help but thinking about the fly that stopped development in Riverside:

http://www.uchastings.edu/faculty-ad...Loving_Fly.pdf

I mean we're talking about a FLY for pete's sake.
Stopping development is like stopping cancer, a darned good thing to do.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

One cannot have a discussion with an ideologue, a "true believer"

Conservative ideologues continually show that their conclusions are not based on fact or observation, but by what they think should be true.

Now, before you dismiss what I say as more liberal hogwash, may I remind you that I am no liberal, but merely the last member of the Bullmoose Party, it would be hard to fit a knife blade between what I think, and what Teddy Roosevelt thought. Back to condors, he worked hard all his life to conserve what he called "Citizen Bird". Works for me.

Or as Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

Jesus would have considered condors as his brothers and sisters as both were created by god.

And conversely"Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’"

and from Genesis;
Platitudes of meaningless quotes and information cobbled together are about as useful as Condors in the wild. The Bull Moose party is extinct in the wild. The Condor is next. Realities are some times hard to grasp especially when tied up with nostalgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California