U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 1,764,715 times
Default CA FINALLY Gets Something Right

Once nearly extinct, the California condor nears new milestones - CNN.com

Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,162,125 times
That is good news, banning lead shot has helped the effort.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 AM

19,864 posts, read 12,204,753 times
Yeah for the Condor.

What a bunch of Malarkey.

Wow now its DDT and west Nile virus. I thought it was lead from dead carcasses left by poachers? No mention of that in the story. If DDT is such a big issue again how come the Eagles are breeding and multiplying like rabbits once more. I thought it was DDT that was destroying their eggs.

So basically unless we cordoned off the entire western half of the US, start an egg replacement and inoculation program for diseases this species can not survive.

HHMMM how about this. This bird was becoming extinct before Lewis and Clark's journey.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM

12,142 posts, read 10,109,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Yeah for the Condor.

What a bunch of Malarkey.

Wow now its DDT and west Nile virus. I thought it was lead from dead carcasses left by poachers? No mention of that in the story. If DDT is such a big issue again how come the Eagles are breeding and multiplying like rabbits once more. I thought it was DDT that was destroying their eggs.

So basically unless we cordoned off the entire western half of the US, start an egg replacement and inoculation program for diseases this species can not survive.

HHMMM how about this. This bird was becoming extinct before Lewis and Clark's journey.
Different organisms are effected by different things. Eagles eat different things than Condors and so were effected by different things.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 AM

12,142 posts, read 10,109,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post

But it wasn't. Perhaps you should learn a thing or two about North American birds before you make yourself look completely retarded in this thread.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 AM

1,154 posts, read 987,991 times
"CA FINALLY gets something right"?

Because nothing in or from California has never been successful before?

Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 AM

19,864 posts, read 12,204,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
But it wasn't. Perhaps you should learn a thing or two about North American birds before you make yourself look completely retarded in this thread.
So enlighten me o great one. I don't see any information posted by you to dispute my argument. Other than personally calling me a retard which is against the TOS. I thought you were above that kind of personal attack. So attack my argument like I attacked the argument of the OP.

Go ahead now. I'll wait while you search the Internet.......

Here let me get you started from the article:

"Condors are doing what they normally do: They feed on marine animal carcasses," Mace said. "We are excited that condors are doing activities that Lewis and Clark observed more than 100 years ago. But it turns out these marine animals are feeding on DDE, and now the condors are feeding on them, and the shells of their eggs are thin and break."
DDE is formed when the pesticide DDT breaks down. DDT is banned in the United States, but the chemical enters the environment through its use in other countries."

90% of the eagles diet are marine animals especially in coastal areas like CALIFORNIA . HHHMMMMMM I though they ate different things?

http://www.indiana.edu/~bradwood/eagles/eat.htm (broken link)

Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 AM

434 posts, read 448,528 times
Wonder how many millions of dollars it cost to "save" each one of those 400 birds? The real endangered species in CA is a working, tax-paying citizen who takes care of himself instead of mooching off others.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,161,818 times
The Condor is a pretty dumb bird in the first place. We shouldn't have interfered with natural selection.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM

1,154 posts, read 987,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
Wonder how many millions of dollars it cost to "save" each one of those 400 birds? The real endangered species in CA is a working, tax-paying citizen who takes care of himself instead of mooching off others.
I'd rather be spending my money on the damn birds than soldiers in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

Or maybe we can eliminate giving Oil Companies $4 Billion in TAX BREAKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California