U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 PM

572 posts, read 1,108,603 times

Advertisements

My husband is a B-52 pilot. We were denied assignments to Barksdale and Minot, and are now looking at alternative locations. My husband's assignment manager recommended Edwards AFB, CA or Eglin AFB, FL as two possibilities. My son has moderate autism and is in need of services.

What communities do military families tend to live in when stationed at Edwards? Do they generally live in Lancaster, Palmdale, or California City? Does anyone have any information on the quality of schools and autism services in the area? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 03:53 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,261,621 times
Edwards is in the high desert, as is Palmdale, Lancaster and California City. It's pretty common for those stationed at Edwards to live in Lancaster or Palmdale but stay away from California City altogether. If you do look at Lancaster or Palmdale focus on the west side (I suggest steering clear of the area around the state prision in Lancaster though) and you will find pretty some decent areas. At least you have some decent services in Lancaster and Palmdale but California City is a city in name only.
As for services for your child someone else may have more information for you but may be spotty. Palmdale does have a brand new medical center thay may offer more upgraded services but you would need to check with them directly; their website is found here: http://www.palmdaleregional.com/Home

Oh and the prison in Lancaster is on Avenue J between 50th & 60th streets. Don't be too put off by that, I just suggest you make certain you don't end up right next to it.
Weather wise you are looking at high temps in the summer and cold (some snow & freezing) in the winter versus the humidity of FL. I hope this is helpful and just want to say thank you to both of you for your husbands service and your sacrifice for that as well. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or