U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2011, 12:23 AM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,880,377 times
Reputation: 1217

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Wow, a bunch of online opinion blogs that you are parroting. That's real deep "analysis".

And it wasn't ME trumpeting Cisco, it was the WALL STREET JOURNAL talking about how Cisco, HP, Google and other tech companies are snapping up office space in Silicon Valley as they expand.

So, to reiterate: When eBay expands in Texas it means California sucks. But when these other tech companies expand in California, they are all just in a bubble. Right?
Those opinion blogs are at the heart of coverage of what happens in the Valley. They are pretty good analysis as they stem from valley insiders and the ecosystem which incubates startups and ventures in the valley. If you would like a more thorough analysis which dictates how I trade particular tech stocks, you are more than happy to send me a fee ... Otherwise, you are more than free to post links to your own deep analysis which speaks to the contrary.

Google I shorted before earnings because of information i know about their ever increasing headcount and rockstar compensation which is slamming their bottom dollar.
They like others are acquiring any and every goofy startup for $10 mil. here.. $20 mil. here w/o resultant revenue increases...

Cisco... short ... because they have one of the most expansive HQ's here... have become bloated and stagnant .... their india operations are loosely tied to the concentrated HQs they have in the valley.. they are living business models of yesteryear and not moving at the pace of innovation... and their venture into consumer products lacked vision and sucked... they carry too much dead weight at the top and bottom and its killing them.

vmware ... doing great.. keeping headcount small.. CEO spoke to employees about expanding to lower cost centers in the u.s and abroad and curtailing expansion in CA .. talent is everywhere and he spoke to wanting to tap it especially when it is cheaper... even though revenue is up.. he keeps marketing budgets inline and keeps partying under wraps.. not participating in the bubble buying.. but making strategic purchases.. long ...

Facebook.. way overvalued .. trying to get a piece of every pie.. expanding headcount way to quickly and is all over the place.. Will short this sucker as soon as it IPOs as i did Zipcar.

Taking a step back ... I get your sentiment .. too many people point and say look texas .. omg .. calfiornia sux ... and visa versa. I don't get caught up in that. If a business leaves for reason X,whether it be TX or CA, It's important to acknowledge that . The important reason for highlighting shifts from CA and the reasons is because it is expected that it is a trend that may gain momentum ... As a resident of a state that you love, this should cause a person to take a pause and potentially look at such issues.. Instead of just saying.. oh hey, who cares ... Texas.. who would want to live there... Anything outside CA .. who would want to live there...

" McDonalds reports that as part of its employment event to hire 50,000 minimum wage, part-time (mostly) workers, subsequently raised to 62,000 it received a whopping 1 million applications, over 938,000 applicants were turned away."

<- Do you think these people give a crap about weather? people want jobs.. companies are trying to do their best to survive ... This isn't time to be worrying about weather.. it's time to make sure you can afford to house, feed, and take care of your family.

Northern California's valley very much has a social media bubble lead by the slew of overvalued worthless ventures backed by VC/Angel money hoping to be bought up by the likes of google/facebook who have lots of capital. I wouldn't know much about (if) Texas has a bubble and wouldn't comment on it much because I don't live there and have no ear to the ground or eyes in the sky there. I do in Norcal and in California.

So, w/ respect to this ... may you post some links to some articles and information which highlight's Texas' green energy bubble? I admit I don't know much about this area so please help educate me

"...best and brightest minds to relocate in a state looking to expand commerce and provide lucrative jobs for young families."

Times are tough ... commodity/energy prices are roaring thanks to a government that thinks it can print its way out of things...

People want to relax sometimes... Have security in knowing they can afford a house w/o putting 10 years of their income down .. At some point you have to ask, given the current economic conditions, does your state offer young indebted students an opportunity to live a middle class life?... Does your state offer people the opportunity to build their lives back again after being laid off? Are the taxes and cost of living supportive of growth or not?

If that answer is no.. you can highlight all the nature and weather you want.. Things are a lot more serious than the past... People aren't smelling roses.. they are looking for security and a chance at what has become so rare : middle class life.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 04-29-2011 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,457,746 times
Reputation: 9216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Wait until they check out the schools they will be sending their kids to. In five years they will be trying to get back to where the action is
I suggest you do your homework on the K-12 situation in California. Texas is doing better. Neither state at the level of Massachusetts or Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
 
15,712 posts, read 9,207,244 times
Reputation: 14155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Those jobs didn't move to Texas- they moved to AUSTIN!

Kidding aside, yeah, Texas is an attractive site for US corporations, what with "tax incentives" (bribes), non-existant environmental regulations, non-existant employee safety standards, none of them pesky unions to cause problems for everybody. Good for the ol' bottom line, I guess. So long as you don't care about anyone or anything else.
Two sides to every coin, I suppose. What you call bribes, I'd call looking out for the best interest of the state, ie. jobs, commerce and housing. You say non-existent environmental regs, I say realistic regs. That means not putting the red-legged frog habitat before common sense regulation. You say non-existent safety standards, I say realistic standards. Understanding that people have common sense, and can look out for their own safety instead of putting huge burdens on the business owners. You say pesky unions, well, that one speaks for itself. Just look at CA's economic environment and you will see that it's not the lack of unions that is causing problems.

You can say that CA cares, but it's all just another lie. They only care about their causes and groups. They don't care about the citizens. Otherwise, they would have kept the state on the straight and narrow for the good of the state.

I heard Gavin Newsom hosting a radio show a few weeks ago. He came to Texas to find out what we're doing right. And he admitted that creating jobs, however you can do that, makes the most sense. Because with jobs comes the money to fund all those other pet programs. But sadly, he and another Dem, out of 13 or 18 (can't remember exactly) lawmakers that went, were the only ones from that side of the aisle. He was disappointed that his fellow Dems had no interest in improving the state by actually doing some listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 7,629,887 times
Reputation: 2622
I wish Texas well, I encourage people to leave California for the great opportunities in Texas, but I do advise homeschooling your children if you move there.

This was a great state with 5 million people in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,422 posts, read 22,267,510 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I wish Texas well, I encourage people to leave California for the great opportunities in Texas, but I do advise homeschooling your children if you move there.

This was a great state with 5 million people in it.
If you remember Ca. when it had 5 million people, you must be older than Curmudgeon LOL I kid I kid.

Seriously though, Ca. wouldn't have the what 6th largest economy in the world if it weren't due in part to it's large population. With this does come many other problems however as I'm sure you're aware of. However, this is in part why there's so much regulation. With a state this size with so many people, being unregulated or under-regulated would make the state virtually unlivable despite the rantings of some saying it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 AM
 
5,113 posts, read 4,937,407 times
Reputation: 1728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
If you remember Ca. when it had 5 million people, you must be older than Curmudgeon LOL I kid I kid.

Seriously though, Ca. wouldn't have the what 6th largest economy in the world if it weren't due in part to it's large population. With this does come many other problems however as I'm sure you're aware of. However, this is in part why there's so much regulation. With a state this size with so many people, being unregulated or under-regulated would make the state virtually unlivable despite the rantings of some saying it is now.
The over regulation is one many aspect that's killing jobs and business in California. California is heading for some very bad times and the current liberal government politics is adding fuel to the fire. Texas is in great shape compared to California's enormous problems. California's problems can't be fixed by raising taxes and the Fed's no longer have the capability to help so California will be like a drug addict who will need to hit rock bottom first, purge the toxic politics, and crawl its way back to prosperity which will take decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,134 posts, read 20,760,860 times
Reputation: 8292
Still wondering how a state that doesn't believe in evolution will be on top technically.
How do you orbit a flat earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Northern California
37 posts, read 129,076 times
Reputation: 33
I don't buy the doom-and-gloom predictions for California, I don't care what anyone says. They don't give Californians enough credit for their determination, creativity, adaptability and optimism. I love California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 AM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,880,377 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Still wondering how a state that doesn't believe in evolution will be on top technically.
How do you orbit a flat earth?
Do you understand evolution ? Do you understand the many aspects of it that are still a theory and parts that are proven? Do you fully appreciate the long time period in which it it takes to manifest any observable change?

I wonder how a populous that probably couldn't spell evolution has come to fully appreciate the scope of what this word means to the extent that it has become such a common talking point.

When you speak of evolution are you talking about biological ? the evolution of a virus or a human being? Evolution is a theory in the scientific sense. Parts of it are fact but in general it's a scientific model of a portion of the universe that generates propositions with observable consequences ...


I can show you how a fiscally irresponsible moron can dramatically and negatively impact the well being of a state.. I think I would be hard pressed to identify how someone who understands the scope of evolution as both theory and fact would somehow dramatically and negatively impact the well being of a state....

It's a lame talking point that IMO is most often brought up by people who least understand what the word means
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,880,377 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by natt View Post
I don't buy the doom-and-gloom predictions for California, I don't care what anyone says. They don't give Californians enough credit for their determination, creativity, adaptability and optimism. I love California.
Hear no evil. So no evil .... Real and true problems are real and true problems. You can ignore them all you want. Still wont help you much.

And yes, Californian's have great determinism and adaptability as this is a harsh state to live in when it comes to taxes/cost of living ... It makes you determined/adaptive ... It's necessary to survive...

So, you have that credit .. However, the current economic climate of the world is putting even more stress/strain on people... And at that point (for businesses and people) it becomes a question of whether or not it's worth it.

It's not doom-and-gloom. It's the realistic economic environment .. Optimism doesn't get work done ... bills paid ... creativity isn't always valued the same by others....

I know it's hard for some Californian's to come to grips with harsh realities some time as they like to creatively place their mind's in optimism land .. but sometimes it is worth taking your head out the clouds and looking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:42 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top