U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,300,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post

You just made me cry a river for those poor, vulnerable prison guards. They're such victims of their work environments, and just think- they get paid so poorly and with no union advocacy after all those years of prison guard schooling and the school loan debt they have to bear.

One is overcome with sympathy.

Student loan debt > Being outnumbered by dangerous criminals everyday.

I was just saying there is a price you pay, even if you get paid more than someone that may go to Harvard. Why all the sarcasm ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 06:55 AM

18,287 posts, read 14,436,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
this is the exact reason we should outsource our prison population to Mexico where board & care costs are substantially lower. I think it's a fair trade: their industrious hardworking illegal laborers for our deadbeat gangbangers.
A large number of whom are from there and were in the state illegally to begin with.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 AM

1,465 posts, read 2,544,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
<snip>
Over 120,000 people apply every year, according to the state Legislative Analyst's Office, but the academy only enrolls about 900. That's an acceptance rate of less than 1%.
<snip>
That is the kind of statistic that doesn't take a Harvard MBA to conclude that we overpay prison guards. Do we need the top 1% of applicants, not likely. The job should pay less.

A lot of local and state government jobs spend more on overtime than they would if they just hired enough people. Hire more people, pay less overall, win/win. The only ones that lose are the ones that gouge the system with overtime.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,077,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Interesting from many aspects, one many have not thought of:

I am not a prison guard, I am a police officer in California. I work for a department with 200 sworn police officers. Out of those sworn police officers, three have PHD's (no, not the chief, or even captains; regular police officers, one is from Harvard). About 1/4 of the department has Master's Degree's. Again, one has two Master's Degree's from MIT. 3/4 of the department have Bachelor's Degree's, from all over hell's creation; inlcuding Ivy League Schools, Stanford, etc. And no, you don't need ANY college to be hired at my dept. Same holds true for most departments in California. However, most do and/or got them while working full time.
Fascinating.

I recall a news story (60 mins?) on TV about the case of a Law Enforcement Officer in a small town applying to become a LEO in another town - and being turned down. The reason? His performance on tests indicated he was too intelligent. The rationale was that he would get bored due to his high IQ and leave. The report then focused on the question "is a high IQ a valid reason to turn down an applicant." (I probably have the details wrong, but the essence was about IQ and would the applicant be a short-timer if hired.)

Old 05-02-2011, 12:22 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,077,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Try it for a week.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM

12,048 posts, read 8,428,713 times
That article is evidence that you don't need a college degree from Harvard (or any college degree) to do well financially.

[with that said, I wouldn't want to be a prison guard]

Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 PM

127 posts, read 112,260 times
I would obviously take the Harvard degree. But I am really surprised at how awesome the compensation package is for these people. Imagine if we paid our teachers like this.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 PM

3,843 posts, read 7,802,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseENT View Post
I would obviously take the Harvard degree. But I am really surprised at how awesome the compensation package is for these people. Imagine if we paid our teachers like this.
Actually we do pay our teachers like that. I think you've been listening to the teachers union too much.

Generation B - Teacher Salaries Rise to $100K - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California