U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 43,393 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currenntly live in Cleveland, love the whole west coast, and have been searching in Southern California for the right place to relocate us and our six kids. We fell in love with Montecito and Santa Barbara. So I called a real estate agent, and was surprised that Montecito doesn't have its own Junior High and High schools. It is part of the Santa Barbara school system. I grew up going to private and public schools and loved the public schools much more. While I am sure that Santa Barbara has a fine school system, I want a smaller community school system to be a part of.

While Malibu isn't nearly as pretty as Montecito, I found out that it has a top notch public school system.

Any thoughts around Montecito, Malibu, or any other suggested cities? No we have not yet visited Laguna or La Jolla yet, but we might now that we are still looking. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 12:53 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,779,114 times
I realize this is a dumb question, but where will you be working? (Probably another "I work at home in my jammies...")

Here is a great tool

School Performance Maps

Old 05-01-2011, 01:07 PM

11 posts, read 43,393 times
I have a funny answer, I actually will be working in my pajamas. I work within the commodities markets, can live anywhere, and will have to get up at 5 am PST, or 8 am EST every morning. That is the only huge negative about moving to California. But it is still better than another winter here in Cleveland.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:09 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,779,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving to SoCal View Post
I have a funny answer, I actually will be working in my pajamas. I work within the commodities markets, can live anywhere, and will have to get up at 5 am PST, or 8 am EST every morning. That is the only huge negative about moving to California. But it is still better than another winter here in Cleveland.
That's sleeping in. I get up at 4 to catch a 510 van to El Segundo from Orange County.

Irvine
Encinitas
Del Mar
Laguna Beach

Old 05-01-2011, 02:34 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,627,699 times
You are going to pick your town based on where your children are going to spend 1,080 hours out of the 8,760 hours in a year?

That does not seem to me to be a good reason to choose Malibu over Montecito.

How your kids do in school is up to you, not up to the school system.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:00 PM

167 posts, read 211,913 times
How much is your income? Malibu is pretty expensive.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,153 times
I would suggest Palos Verdes Estates or Rolling Hills. One of the top 5 school systems in the state. Right on the coast, and PVE has the same Spanish feel as SB/Montecito.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 PM

28 posts, read 35,023 times
This may be a reply to a two year old question, but did you ever make it to california? If so, where did you wind up? Where do your kids attend school? Had I seen your question sooner, I would have suggested Ventura. Their school system is one of the best...and retains that small town community feeling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California