U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 03:51 PM

12 posts, read 16,109 times

Advertisements

Me, my husband, and our toddler are looking move somewhere new. We're in Oregon now and we're curious about the Northern half of California.

Here are some things we'd like:

- We'd like to be close to the ocean and trees/forest. Either a beach town or something no more than an hour a away. (we both grew up in beach towns, so they feel like home)

- Not crazy hot.

- A college town would be nice.

- A cute, walkable downtown.

- Other than that we're into art, saturday markets, natural food stores, coffee shops, camping, going to the beach, eating out (seafood, thai, indian, japanese, other ethnic foods), a good hospital with a nice birthing center in it, within a couple hours from the airport, good schools, maybe a montessori preschool.

- We have a 14 month old son, (and plan to have more), so anything good for kids.

- More liberal than conservative.

- Not a crazy amount of traffic.

- Dh is a Programmer/Analyst/IT guy....but possibly wanting to get into the Earth Science field. I am an artist.

- Decent home & rental prices.

I know there's no perfect place with all of our preferences, but I thought it would be helpful.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by guavagirl; 05-02-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 04:27 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,413,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavagirl View Post
Me, my husband, and our toddler are looking move somewhere new. We're in Oregon now and we're curious about the Northern half of California.

Here are some things we'd like:

- We'd like to be close to the ocean and trees/forest. Either a beach town or something no more than an hour a away. (we both grew up in beach towns, so they feel like home)

- Not crazy hot.

- A college town would be nice.

- A cute, walkable downtown.

- Other than that we're into art, saturday markets, natural food stores, coffee shops, camping, going to the beach, eating out (seafood, thai, indian, japanese, other ethnic foods), a good hospital with a nice birthing center in it, within a couple hours from the airport, good schools, maybe a montessori preschool.

- We have a 14 month old son, (and plan to have more), so anything good for kids.

- More liberal than conservative.

- Not a crazy amount of traffic.

- Dh is a Programmer/Analyst/IT guy....but possibly wanting to get into the Earth Science field. I am an artist.

- Decent home & rental prices.

I know there's no perfect place with all of our preferences, but I thought it would be helpful.

Thanks so much!
Some where in Sonoma County.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:18 PM

965 posts, read 2,619,443 times
Quote:
- Not crazy hot.
That won't be an issue. You'd have to get almost to the tip of Baja California before you can be simultaneously close to the ocean and in a place that gets "crazy hot." I would be more worried about chilly, foggy conditions that are 10-20 degrees below the bottom of the comfort range than excess heat.

Anything north of the Bay Area is going to be fairly conservative, blue-collar, small and predominantly white (Arcata is somewhat of an exception). "Decent" home prices to someone already living in California will be much higher than to an Oregonian. The most affordable places will be blue-collar, gritty industrial towns with a high unemployment rate. Artsy, diverse, more liberal areas are always more expensive. The central California coast might be a better choice than the northern coast. I would look around Santa Cruz.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:24 PM

12 posts, read 16,109 times
Arcata is one that we're considering. Good point about it not being really hot on the coast. We're used the rain and fog. My favorite temp is 65-75. I don't really love the 80's and above.

I also like towns that feel like communities, if ya know what I mean.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:46 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Don't come unless you're bringing a job with you.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,655,959 times
Not much of a college town, however, you might want to try Ft Bragg. I happen to love it there, because of all the reasons you mentioned. Have no clue about the job situation, etc. I just enjoy visiting it there, due to the fact its cooler, usually kinda misty, has a nice rocky style coastline, decent places to eat, and for me, most of all, not the crowds Monterey or Santa Cruz gets.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 2 days ago)

5,503 posts, read 12,353,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Some where in Sonoma County.
Yep, I was actually thinking the same thing. There are more jobs closer to the Bay Area.

Arcata/Eureka/Humboldt aren't really going to have the IT jobs your husband needs.

I'm not sure how one would shift from IT to Earth Science while supporting a growing family in Humboldt County. The economy is somewhat depressed, much like the Oregon coast. It's the struggling post logging era. And home prices are higher than Oregon. But its a beautiful area if you can find work.

Places like Coos Bay might be a better choice in terms of affordability. They have the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology there.

Derek

Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,017,392 times
If you actually want a change from you're current coastal topography and climate in Oregon you might want to consider a place a little south of the North Coast. Like Monterey or Santa Cruz. They're definitely cool weather areas, but not nearly as rainy.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,413,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yep, I was actually thinking the same thing. There are more jobs closer to the Bay Area.

Arcata/Eureka/Humboldt aren't really going to have the IT jobs your husband needs.

I'm not sure how one would shift from IT to Earth Science while supporting a growing family in Humboldt County. The economy is somewhat depressed, much like the Oregon coast. It's the struggling post logging era. And home prices are higher than Oregon. But its a beautiful area if you can find work.

Places like Coos Bay might be a better choice in terms of affordability. They have the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology there.

Derek
Couldn't have stated it better myself. Excellent points.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 PM

965 posts, read 2,619,443 times
Quote:
My favorite temp is 65-75.
The temperatures in Arcata will be below that range 95% of the time. The NorCal coast is best for those whose favorite temp. range is 20 degrees below that: 45-55F. They'll be happy 70% of the time. Those who prefer temps in the 55-65F degree range will be next happiest with about 25% of all hours of the year falling in that range. Above the SF Bay, the NorCal coast really is chilly more than it is temperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or