U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,261 posts, read 54,982,722 times
Reputation: 15287

Advertisements

We knew this was coming folks:

California State Parks today announced a plan to close up to 70 of its 278 parks (see attachment) due to budget cuts.

The closures are necessary to achieve an $11 million reduction in the next fiscal year 2011/12, and $22 million in the following fiscal year 2012/13. These cuts were mandated by AB 95, which was passed by the Legislature and signed into law by Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. in March.

“We regret closing any park,” said Ruth Coleman, director of California State Parks, “but with the proposed budget reductions over the next two years, we can no longer afford to operate all parks within the system.”

Anderson Marsh SHP
Annadel SP
Antelope Valley Indian Museum
Austin Creek SRA
Bale Grist Mill SHP
Benbow Lake SRA
Benicia Capitol SHP
Benicia SRA
Bidwell Mansion SHP
Bothe-Napa Valley SP
Brannan Island SRA
California Mining & Mineral Museum
Candlestick Point SRA
Castle Crags SP
Castle Rock SP
China Camp SP
Colusa-Sacramento River SRA
Del Norte Coast Redwoods SP
Fort Humboldt SHP
Fort Tejon SHP
Garrapata SP
George J. Hatfield SRA
Governor's Mansion SHP
Gray Whale Cove SB
Greenwood SB
Grizzly Creek Redwoods SP
Hendy Woods SP
Henry W. Coe SP
Jack London SHP
Jug Handle SNR
Leland Stanford Mansion SHP
Limekiln SP
Los Encinos SHP
Malakoff Diggins SHP
Manchester SP
McConnell SRA
McGrath SB
Mono Lake Tufa SNR
Morro Strand SB
Moss Landing SB
Olompali SHP
Palomar Mountain SP
Petaluma Adobe SHP
Picacho SRA
Pio Pico SHP
Plumas-Eureka SP
Point Cabrillo Light Station
Portola Redwoods SP
Providence Mountains SRA
Railtown 1897 SHP
Russian Gulch SP
Saddleback Butte SP
Salton Sea SRA
Samuel P. Taylor SP
San Pasqual Battlefield SHP
Santa Cruz Mission SHP
Santa Susana Pass SHP
Shasta SHP
South Yuba River SP
Standish-Hickey SRA
Sugarloaf Ridge SP
Tomales Bay SP
Tule Elk SNR
Turlock Lake SRA
Twin Lakes SB
Weaverville Joss House SHP
Westport-Union Landing SB
William B. Ide Adobe SHP
Woodson Bridge SRA
Zmudowski SB


http://parks.ca.gov/pages/712/files/...ts20110513.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2011, 07:29 PM
 
35 posts, read 51,541 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We knew this was coming folks:

California State Parks today announced a plan to close up to 70 of its 278 parks (see attachment) due to budget cuts.

The closures are necessary to achieve an $11 million reduction in the next fiscal year 2011/12, and $22 million in the following fiscal year 2012/13. These cuts were mandated by AB 95, which was passed by the Legislature and signed into law by Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. in March.

“We regret closing any park,” said Ruth Coleman, director of California State Parks, “but with the proposed budget reductions over the next two years, we can no longer afford to operate all parks within the system.”

Anderson Marsh SHP
Annadel SP
Antelope Valley Indian Museum
Austin Creek SRA
Bale Grist Mill SHP
Benbow Lake SRA
Benicia Capitol SHP
Benicia SRA
Bidwell Mansion SHP
Bothe-Napa Valley SP
Brannan Island SRA
California Mining & Mineral Museum
Candlestick Point SRA
Castle Crags SP
Castle Rock SP
China Camp SP
Colusa-Sacramento River SRA
Del Norte Coast Redwoods SP
Fort Humboldt SHP
Fort Tejon SHP
Garrapata SP
George J. Hatfield SRA
Governor's Mansion SHP
Gray Whale Cove SB
Greenwood SB
Grizzly Creek Redwoods SP
Hendy Woods SP
Henry W. Coe SP
Jack London SHP
Jug Handle SNR
Leland Stanford Mansion SHP
Limekiln SP
Los Encinos SHP
Malakoff Diggins SHP
Manchester SP
McConnell SRA
McGrath SB
Mono Lake Tufa SNR
Morro Strand SB
Moss Landing SB
Olompali SHP
Palomar Mountain SP
Petaluma Adobe SHP
Picacho SRA
Pio Pico SHP
Plumas-Eureka SP
Point Cabrillo Light Station
Portola Redwoods SP
Providence Mountains SRA
Railtown 1897 SHP
Russian Gulch SP
Saddleback Butte SP
Salton Sea SRA
Samuel P. Taylor SP
San Pasqual Battlefield SHP
Santa Cruz Mission SHP
Santa Susana Pass SHP
Shasta SHP
South Yuba River SP
Standish-Hickey SRA
Sugarloaf Ridge SP
Tomales Bay SP
Tule Elk SNR
Turlock Lake SRA
Twin Lakes SB
Weaverville Joss House SHP
Westport-Union Landing SB
William B. Ide Adobe SHP
Woodson Bridge SRA
Zmudowski SB


http://parks.ca.gov/pages/712/files/...ts20110513.pdf
What a shame... hopefully they'll be mothballed, and re-opened again at some point in the future.

As for Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, perhaps that should be deeded to the National Park Service, since it is already jointly-managed with Redwood National Park (to which it is physically adjacent).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 PM
 
35 posts, read 51,541 times
Reputation: 51
I just read the article and did the math. Closing these parks will result in a total annual savings of 44 cents per capita in California in each of the two years of the biennial budget.

Wow! Over one half of one whole cent per capita per park per year!

What a windfall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 07:38 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,425 posts, read 22,277,811 times
Reputation: 8614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmolus View Post
What a shame... hopefully they'll be mothballed, and re-opened again at some point in the future.

As for Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, perhaps that should be deeded to the National Park Service, since it is already jointly-managed with Redwood National Park (to which it is physically adjacent).
Excellent point. Does closing these parks mean that they will actually be physically closed or just not staffed? Palomar Mountain SP as well as Samuel P Taylor are great areas with good camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,261 posts, read 54,982,722 times
Reputation: 15287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmolus View Post
I just read the article and did the math. Closing these parks will result in a total annual savings of 44 cents per capita in California in each of the two years of the biennial budget.

Wow! Over one half of one whole cent per capita per park per year!

What a windfall...
+1

Meanwhile we spend $9-$12 Billion on Corrections. HELLO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 17,513,050 times
Reputation: 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Excellent point. Does closing these parks mean that they will actually be physically closed or just not staffed? Palomar Mountain SP as well as Samuel P Taylor are great areas with good camping.
My guess is they won't be staffed and maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 PM
 
434 posts, read 714,764 times
Reputation: 516
My what a suprise. Of course we knew this was coming. At least anyone who gives this nonsense 60 seconds of thought knew it was coming. Every time the Democrats want to increase taxes they threaten to cancel/cut programs that people actually use. Even if the savings are miniscule. "Let's hit 'em where it hurts". "Close the parks, shut the libraries, threaten to fire the police and firemen". "Take away the things that will make 'em scream". Then put a tax increase on the ballot.

How about firing about 50,000 tax payer funded counselors, psychologists, welfare administrators and the like? That would save some real money. And who would miss them? Not me. But that wouldn't achieve a tax increase. So close the parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,425 posts, read 22,277,811 times
Reputation: 8614
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
My what a suprise. Of course we knew this was coming. At least anyone who gives this nonsense 60 seconds of thought knew it was coming. Every time the Democrats want to increase taxes they threaten to cancel/cut programs that people actually use. Even if the savings are miniscule. "Let's hit 'em where it hurts". "Close the parks, shut the libraries, threaten to fire the police and firemen". "Take away the things that will make 'em scream". Then put a tax increase on the ballot.

How about firing about 50,000 tax payer funded counselors, psychologists, welfare administrators and the like? That would save some real money. And who would miss them? Not me. But that wouldn't achieve a tax increase. So close the parks.
Didn't Arnold "threaten" this same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 AM
 
1,465 posts, read 4,544,408 times
Reputation: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
My what a suprise. Of course we knew this was coming. At least anyone who gives this nonsense 60 seconds of thought knew it was coming. Every time the Democrats want to increase taxes they threaten to cancel/cut programs that people actually use. Even if the savings are miniscule. "Let's hit 'em where it hurts". "Close the parks, shut the libraries, threaten to fire the police and firemen". "Take away the things that will make 'em scream". Then put a tax increase on the ballot.

How about firing about 50,000 tax payer funded counselors, psychologists, welfare administrators and the like? That would save some real money. And who would miss them? Not me. But that wouldn't achieve a tax increase. So close the parks.
Agree! Reps to you.

We have the wrong people making decisions on how to save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Oregon
1,458 posts, read 5,253,248 times
Reputation: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmolus View Post
What a shame... hopefully they'll be mothballed, and re-opened again at some point in the future.

As for Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, perhaps that should be deeded to the National Park Service, since it is already jointly-managed with Redwood National Park (to which it is physically adjacent).
That one stood out too.

No surprise that Jedediah Smith, Humboldt Redwoods are not on the list. But I thought Del Norte Redwoods SP would have missed the chopping block.

They ought to at least leave the most popular trail open in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top