U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:22 PM

3,679 posts, read 13,129,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Am I the only one, besides Fonty, who remembers the old ad jingle (Yeah! That's what they called the songs back in the real days.) "What'll you have, Pabst Blue Ribbon?"

Now they also brew Schlitz, "The beer that made Milwaukee famous!"
I'm waiting for them to bring back Hamm's beer "From the Land of Sky-Blue Water".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 03:28 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,300,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I'm waiting for them to bring back Hamm's beer "From the Land of Sky-Blue Water".
I got a 12-pack of that up in Snohomish, WA about 2 years ago, just because I'd heard a friend from the midwest bemoan its utter lack of quality. The 12 pack cost something like $6.99. ...there was a reason the stuff was 60 cents per can... ugh.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
All the beers mentioned in this thread are for guys who live behind chain-link fences. Who would actually choose to drink that **** anyway?
Oh, believe me, I can't wait to get back home to the 4-pack of Old Rasputin I bought yesterday. I'm that ponce who will gladly blow $13 on a bottle of Mikkeler, and at the bottom end of the spectrum that I prefer to buy are Samuel Smith's (Nut Brown Ale is wonderful when properly cold, which is rare for an English brew).

The thing I don't get about beers like PBR, Hamm's, etc. is that they

a) taste like crap. Pop the can and hold it to your nose, and you get wafts of feces with mild fermentation.
b) it takes damn near an entire six pack to get a mild buzz, and by that point, you're ready to puke just because your stomach is completely full.

I'd rather spend $7 on a 24oz bottle of something that I can savor with a decent ABV than 12 cans of fermented water. If you're on a budget... again: a bottle of Mickey's is like $1.99, and it'll get you tanked. Why else do you drink cheap alcohol? To get tanked. If the stuff won't help you stumble down Ellis demanding change from people while singing the theme to Secret Squirrel, you got gypped.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,022,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Oh, believe me, I can't wait to get back home to the 4-pack of Old Rasputin I bought yesterday. I'm that ponce who will gladly blow $13 on a bottle of Mikkeler, and at the bottom end of the spectrum that I prefer to buy are Samuel Smith's (Nut Brown Ale is wonderful when properly cold, which is rare for an English brew).

The thing I don't get about beers like PBR, Hamm's, etc. is that they

a) taste like crap. Pop the can and hold it to your nose, and you get wafts of feces with mild fermentation.
b) it takes damn near an entire six pack to get a mild buzz, and by that point, you're ready to puke just because your stomach is completely full.

I'd rather spend $7 on a 24oz bottle of something that I can savor with a decent ABV than 12 cans of fermented water. If you're on a budget... again: a bottle of Mickey's is like $1.99, and it'll get you tanked. Why else do you drink cheap alcohol? To get tanked. If the stuff won't help you stumble down Ellis demanding change from people while singing the theme to Secret Squirrel, you got gypped.
The only real mainstream brews I generally consume are Guiness, Killian's Irish Red, and Gordon Biersch. But in CA there is a wealth of local brews to choose from with a not too shabby alcohol by volume. Money is no issue for something that can turn the frown upside down and isn't complete ****. I'll take some local and slightly pricey Lagunitas or some other IPA over nasty swill like PBR or Mickey's any day.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
The only real mainstream brews I generally consume are Guiness, Killian's Irish Red, and Gordon Biersch. But in CA there is a wealth of local brews to choose from with a not too shabby alcohol by volume. Money is no issue for something that can turn the frown upside down and isn't complete ****. I'll take some local and slightly pricey Lagunitas or some other IPA over nasty swill like PBR or Mickey's any day.
Yeah, we are pretty damn blessed down here... Lagunitas makes some pretty good ones; their Imperial Stout is 9% and awesome, their Hop Stoopid is 8.8% but hits like a 12%, and the Gnarleywine is about as good as a barleywine actually gets, and you can get pretty much all of them for $3.99/4.99 bottle at any place that sells beer.

I can barely even drink Guinness anymore after having had Lost Coast, Old Rasputin, or Samuel Smith's or Lagunitas' Imperial Stouts.

I love living across the street from Bevmo

Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,367,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
..."comes the beer refreshing. Hamm's, the beer refreshing!" One of my favorites, and they had the best "traveling" bar lights goin' down-river.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 PM

13,982 posts, read 15,983,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
It'll still be $2 drafts at the VFW--who cares?
Bunch of other choices have hit the $2 draft special. Still, as long as its between Miller High Life or Coors Light and PBR, I'll take the PBR. I've been drinking it since I was 16. Its cheap beer. A few nancy-boys may object to what being seen drinking a PBR would do to their meticulously maintained image. Oh, no someone might confuse me in my not-to-good-for-a-washing-machine Levi 501s for a skinny-jean, fixie riding hipster because I'm drinking PBR! That's their business.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Bunch of other choices have hit the $2 draft special. Still, as long as its between Miller High Life or Coors Light and PBR, I'll take the PBR. I've been drinking it since I was 16. Its cheap beer. A few nancy-boys may object to what being seen drinking a PBR would do to their meticulously maintained image. Oh, no someone might confuse me in my not-to-good-for-a-washing-machine Levi 501s for a skinny-jean, fixie riding hipster because I'm drinking PBR! That's their business.
No one would confuse me with a hipster, believe me... no, it's just that the stuff is gross and doesn't get the job done!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,367,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
No one would confuse me with a hipster, believe me... no, it's just that the stuff is gross and doesn't get the job done!
Does too. Cleans your pipes. One beer, one trip to the men's room!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Does too. Cleans your pipes. One beer, one trip to the men's room!
Oh, it gets that job done, but I'll still be entirely sober and aware enough to be annoyed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or