Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 AM

16 posts, read 32,736 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Texas married a man from California. I lived in Roseville for 2 years could NOT wait to get back to Texas. I couldn't get over the fact that there weren't alot of friendly people there,now it is VERY possible that it is a different kind of friendly than I am use to. Well when we got married we were given a lakehouse on Lake Tulloch in Copperopolis CA. Now we are looking to coming back because I have a HUGE family here but DH only has his mom thats in Cali only family left and she is getting older. There is NO other family now NOTHING is owed on the house BUT trying to find a job from 2000 miles away is VERY tricky. Hubby currently works for TDC which is like CDC he has made rank here,he is trying to get on with CDC but I am concerned with the issues that Cali is having with unemployment and such. So heres the dilemma do we just say OK cash out the state retirement here and go for it or stay here until he can get on with CDC? Also any suggestions on how to enlighten me on how to fit in out there? Apparently as I found out when we were out there in July we were having drinks with neighbors all sitting around a table and I looked at an email on my phone you would have thought I threw wine on everyone at the table!! I didn't even think about it that is something done ALL the time here it wasn't a dinner party that I could understand. Also I was told if you need to check your phone excuse yourself and go to the restroom WTH??? please any advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 11:53 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darly1 View Post
Apparently as I found out when we were out there in July we were having drinks with neighbors all sitting around a table and I looked at an email on my phone you would have thought I threw wine on everyone at the table!!
That's very rude behavior. I'd have thrown wine on you.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:58 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
I would have drunk your wine.
You don't want to waste good wine.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Default see

Thats just 1 example I didn't know about at the time I was waiting on an email from the vet where our dog was staying he had to have emergency surgery and I was waiting to hear from the vet. But its something done here ALL the time like I said we were just having drinks......who knew

Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Default i mean

In a very casual laid back event would NEVER do it during a dinner party or sit down dinner

Old 05-14-2011, 12:15 PM

I think I need a do's and dont book for California

Old 05-14-2011, 12:21 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Manners, class, and decorum have nothing to do with where you're from or living (with the exception perhaps of partying with a bunch of teenagers or hanging out with family). It's not a "California thing'.

It's generally considered rude or uncouth to do this while you're with company. If you needed to check your e-mail, it would have been perfectly fine and acceptable to say "excuse me for a minute, I need to make a call" then leave the table/area.

Although harmless in your mind, doing it in front of others says that you're not interested in their company or the conversation they're having.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Now see Clongirl that makes PERFECT sense to me I honestly just thought it was my MIL being her. But now I see any thoughts on the moving out there issue?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:38 PM

Anyone thoughts on moving there?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darly1 View Post
Anyone thoughts on moving there?
I love Gold Country and find the people there to be the friendliest in the state. If that's where you're planning on working, finding a job there might be pretty difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California