Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,621 times

Advertisements

We are in the eye of the storm right now in my opinion.
The financial meltdown has been covered up with government intervention the last 3 years, which has in fact made things even worse by increasing the amount of government debt. That has reached its limit.

When unemployment benefits run out, food stamps are canceled, they vote to end medicare (what that already happened), they start laying off teachers and closing community colleges (wait they are doing that now..),
they stop mowing grass at the parks and workers start going on strike and don't pick up trash, and all your utility rates get jacked up, tax hikes to the moon on even food, etc, etc, then at some point people will get fed up.

Surprisingly, if you just look at England in the 70's, it was quite bad.

Until you have nothing left to lose, it is hard to have real riots,
we are not there yet, but that is the direction we are headed, with nothing in sight to stop it. Politicians are still a joke, no real choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
I mean the food, gas and homelessness riots...
I'm not very good with politics and understanding economic news, honestly. My friend, who's a smart businessman, told me yesterday that economic meltdown is impending and will result in riots in places like LA. (he's taking his money out of the US right now). He said it had to do with China becoming bigger oil consumer, huge US debt, and China being able to find alternative markets for their goods.

To me, this stuff always seemed like something out of sci-fi mostly... never worried about that stuff, not even in 2008. I talked to a Riverside county official recently about some permit issues and he went off on a rant that pretty much was saying the same stuff as my friend... Just wonder does anyone consider this to be a likely future scenario? Like if you own a property in the lower end neighborhood, one may end up dealing with riots and stuff, does it even sound like a legitimate concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,464,774 times
What the OP might have been referring to, and which is not exclusively related to riots, is an increasing trend of the monied leaving not only California but the USA for a variety of reasons including uncertainty about the future. The possibility of riots and terrorist activities are one part of this, but not the only part. This is an increasing trend which has gotten surprisingly little media attention.

In a way, this marks the ultimate "white flight" (although not everyone who has done this is white per se, most are): not just out of the neighborhood, the city, the county, the region, or the state, but out of the country.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,942,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What the OP might have been referring to, and which is not exclusively related to riots, is an increasing trend of the monied leaving not only California but the USA for a variety of reasons including uncertainty about the future. The possibility of riots and terrorist activities are one part of this, but not the only part. This is an increasing trend which has gotten surprisingly little media attention.

In a way, this marks the ultimate "white flight" (although not everyone who has done this is white per se, most are): not just out of the neighborhood, the city, the county, the region, or the state, but out of the country.
What are you smoking?

"white fight"???

Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 PM

21,605 posts, read 24,753,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1opinion View Post
We are in the eye of the storm right now in my opinion.
The financial meltdown has been covered up with government intervention the last 3 years, which has in fact made things even worse by increasing the amount of government debt. That has reached its limit.
If that happens. We'll see. I'm positive it won't. They'll eventually pass a bill increasing the debt limit. There are just too many things both sides care about. Right now we're in the propaganda phase. The Republics are pointing the finger at the Democrats and the Democrats are pointing the Finger at the Republicans. "He wants the government to shut down. No he does!" It's all part of the bluff to try and swing the negations one way or another. The truth is the Democrats will not allow any meaningful cuts to social services, and the Republics will not allow any meaningful cuts to corporate welfare or defense nor support higher taxes. Eventually, both sides will call each others bluff with a few non-significant (planned parenthood in D.C.) "moral" victories each can point to. The debt limit will be raised and we'll go right back to burying the country in debt. Business as usual. That's federal, however, which really isn't on topic...

Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
What are you smoking?

"white fight"???
Americans Leaving Country to Avoid High Taxes

A Growing Trend of Leaving America - US News and World Report

For Americans Wishing To Leave The United States, What Is The Best Country In The World To Move To?

http://www.wendymcelroy.com/news.php?extend.1794

Just a few links.
And the increase in expatriation by the moneyed is mostly by whites but not exclusively ; some Latinos and African-Americans have also left.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,942,385 times
Quote:
What are you smoking??? (again)

What does your links have to do with the OP's statement/question?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 PM

500 posts, read 837,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You need new friends
Certainly not the likes of you.
You're just a troll.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
There's definitely a trend of leaving America and taking money out of it right now. Well, my friend was specifically worried about his future, if there's lawlessness and riots. I had seen the collapse of USSR, none of us want to see anything like that ever again.

Myself, I live off extremely low, minimal consumption which developed as a habit from the times the USSR collapsed, so I'm sure I could survive very harsh time, like I survived before and starved, but yeah the riots is something that woulnd't know how to deal with. I had seen economic riots in my home country, but they didn't amount to lootings or home invasions, mostly it was just purely political. Also, people weren't armed with guns. Having a piece of land is a good thing, can make a lot of difference if there's lack of food supply...

Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
This is one of the strangest threads I've ever seen on C-D.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 AM

Also, know of someone who's afraid to apply for US citizenship cause he's worried the government may seize his gold assets if marital law is declared since the economy had been going down...

Just seeing that a lot of people in LA can barely make it from paycheck to paycheck, with existing prices and low pays... one starts to wonder what happens if further decline occurs and federal aid isn't timely available. A person who can't pay next month's rent is screwed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California