Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:04 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,283,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
LOS ANGELES—Deep budget cuts mean 37,000 elderly and disabled adults are slated to lose adult day care services in California unless legislators move to save the program.

Frail and disabled program participants must be deemed too medically frail by a doctor to attend adult day health care centers through Medi-Cal, and often have multiple health disorders that require oversight.

Calif cuts would close senior day care centers - San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_18097095 - broken link)
This is so incredibly sad. How can we let this happen?

Quote:
Sue Barnett, 58, went to the day care for physical therapy and other care as a result of a major stroke she suffered in 1998. But it's not herself that she's worried about.

"There are a lot of people that are worse than me that have real bad problems," said Barnett, her voice choked with emotion. "I worry about a lot of the ones with mental problems because they're just not going to be able to do anything."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,151,472 times
One of my main complaints, if not my #1 complaint, about how California approaches budget discussions.

It would be appropriate for the state to have a "threshold" of care for those incapable of taking care of themselves, and to give caregivers a break during their day too.

Just disgusting.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,537,461 times
"Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members."

Pearl S. Buck, My Several Worlds.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
"Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members."

Pearl S. Buck, My Several Worlds.
Truer words have never been spoken.

My heart just broke reading this article.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,374,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is so incredibly sad. How can we let this happen?
My wife worked in that venue, legislatively, for 10 years and I did for six. No matter how hard we fought to protect frail seniors, they were always "easy" pickings for the Legislature. CA would rather spend its money on illegals than it would its needy citizens!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 05-20-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My wife worked in that venue, legislastively, for 10 years and I did for six. No matter how hard we fought to protect frail seniors, they were always "easy" pickings for the Legislature. CA would rather spenmd its money on illegals than it would its needy citizens!
What a travesty.

I just called my state assemblyman's office-don't know if its to any avail, but I had to do something to try and stop this.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,418,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My wife worked in that venue, legislastively, for 10 years and I did for six. No matter how hard we fought to protect frail seniors, they were always "easy" pickings for the Legislature. CA would rather spenmd its money on illegals than it would its needy citizens!
This state would also rather take our money and spend it on disability scammers that run rampant in this state!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:31 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,494,810 times
Just curious ... this quote flies out :
""Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members."

A bunch of people say how sad and disgusting.. Just wonder how much of this is directed at the kids of these elderly individuals who thrust their parents onto the wallets of others and expected someone else to care more for them than their offspring. If anything is disgusting and sad, it's the fact that a person's kids don't care for them... As a collective (society), if people can't even care for their own parents, how do you expect a broader group of such people to care the parents of the society? . Reflects yet again how people feel money solves everything... When my parents get old, they will be living w/ me. I'm sorry but the only thing I see as a problem here is the lack of responsibility people have for their own family. That's disgusting and scales ofc to the broader society. Tax revenue is down and a state has to make cuts.. Party's over, time for people to grow up, be adults, and show some love for the parents that raised them... Not point across the street at someone else and say why wont you take my parents in as you kick them out of your house... It's hypocritical IMO.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 05-20-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 02:02 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,682,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Just curious ... this quote flies out :
""Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members."

A bunch of people say how sad and disgusting.. Just wonder how much of this is directed at the kids of these elderly individuals who thrust their parents onto the wallets of others and expected someone else to care more for them than their offspring. If anything is disgusting and sad, it's the fact that a person's kids don't care for them... As a collective (society), if people can't even care for their own parents, how do you expect a broader group of such people to care the parents of the society? . Reflects yet again how people feel money solves everything... When my parents get old, they will be living w/ me. I'm sorry but the only thing I see as a problem here is the lack of responsibility people have for their own family. That's disgusting and scales ofc to the broader society. Tax revenue is down and a state has to make cuts.. Party's over, time for people to grow up, be adults, and show some love for the parents that raised them... Not point across the street at someone else and say why wont you take my parents in as you kick them out of your house... It's hypocritical IMO.

You need to lighten up and try not to see everything in black and white when it comes to taxes and social services. Perhaps when you get older and have children of your own, you just may discover that it is not the expense but the difficulty of finding reliable, professional care to look after your parents while you are working and while your children are in school.

Unfortunately, people *will* dump their parents at some point in their lives. Does that mean we, as a collective society, should throw up our arms and yell, "No more taxes" while turning our backs on the elderly?

We all want our parents to live with us and to provide them the utmost care. But even with our best intentions, it just may not be enough.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:17 PM

16,583 posts, read 27,305,304 times
I'm in agreement with everyone (well save one) in this thread. This really is a reflection of how we value our elderly which is next to nothing.

and this...
Quote:
My wife worked in that venue, legislatively, for 10 years and I did for six. No matter how hard we fought to protect frail seniors, they were always "easy" pickings for the Legislature. CA would rather spend its money on illegals than it would its needy citizens!
is worthy of much respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California