U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it an asset to master another language besides English?
yes 17 70.83%
no 6 25.00%
I do not know 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:25 PM

15,088 posts, read 17,477,455 times

Advertisements

Of course it is an asset. Knowing another language, or simply knowing, is better than not knowing. Besides, knowing more languages allows you to reach-out to more customers and, therefore, make more money.

[knowledge is power and so is money]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,977,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Horse manaky. How about nobody wants to associate with illegals or have this country turn into a third-world nation like the ones they sneak in from?

If I wanted to live in Mexico or South America I'd move there. I don't want them moving here.
I think you just said the same thing I did. I was speaking from the standpoint of native English speakers.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 PM

757 posts, read 1,460,128 times
The question at issue is a stupid question.

It's like asking people if they think more money or good health are good to have. The knee jerk answer will almost always be "yes".

Is bilingualism an asset? Almost everyone will say "yes".

The question at issue should be- for whom is bilingualism advantageous?

If you work in some low level job where you either (1) serve or (2) manage illegal aliens then yes, it is necessary to be able to speak Spanish (what else???) because they will never learn English because they will never need to.

If you work in a field in which your coworkers are actually educated rather than being ignorant illegal aliens then in all likelihood, they will speak English as is exemplified by the endless wave of Indian high tech workers coming to to the US. Those people don't get their jobs because the high tech firms need to have a staff of interpreters.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 AM

16,418 posts, read 22,229,122 times
I personally don't have a problem with bilingualism in the truest sense of the word. What I have issues with is a lot of jobs not hiring monolingual (English only) people. In the USA if one only speaks English it should not be a liability and trust me, often times it is.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 AM

416 posts, read 370,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ele38ful View Post
Hello,

For my work in sociolinguistics, I need to collect information about Americans' view on the linguistic diversity across the United States (if you are foreign residents, your opinions are welcome too).

My question is: According to English-only movements, English should become the official language of the US. What do you think of this argument?

Your participation will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Chimène Elessa
Well, since we ( wrongly )define now "multilingual" as English and Spanish nowadays, I say no.

Your question is flawed. As you correctly stated, they wants English to become the only official language. Your question has nothing to do with that. I support "English only".
I suppose I am what you'd call "foreign resident". Although I do have U.S. citizenship. I'm appalled by all the Spanish signs. This is the United States. We speak English. If you don't like it, then move to Mexico or wherever else ( Yes, I know they don't want to ).

Why is this in the California forum, though? Everybody here just posts wherever he wants to. Wrong forum or not - who cares.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:45 PM

624 posts, read 1,072,901 times
If my neighbor does not speak English, how can I be a good neighbor...If I go into a business and they do not speak English, how can I do business with them?

Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,019,660 times
I voted yes.

It is also an asset for anyone living in the Commonwealth and former British Colonies (and nations derived from them) to learn, master and use English.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 PM

6,958 posts, read 19,079,024 times
I just wish I spoke better Spanish. I can get by in Mexico, my pronunciation is passable, but I've also had folks ask me to speak English instead of butchering the grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California