U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Mokelumne Hill, CA & El Pescadero, BCS MX.
6,958 posts, read 19,185,945 times
Reputation: 6383

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
(as calif. doesn't allow CCW).
Well yes and no.

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-...-issuance.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,889,673 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
Well, like the cops say in California: you better drag them inside a home if you shoot them.
"if my life was endangered in my home.. " <- the keywords in what i said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,889,673 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Thanks for this info .. I'm in one of the red areas (womp womp). A question I have. If you get a ccw from one of the green areas, is it recognized in the red ones?

- Jovan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM
 
25,630 posts, read 30,448,242 times
Reputation: 23112
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Agreed the gun laws suck in California ....However, as a legal certified/trained gun owner, I know the law.. Someone would be dead and I a free man if my life was endangered in my home.. As for out in the street, I just stay away from east bay and rely on street smarts (as calif. doesn't allow CCW). But yes, this adds to California's woes .. Along w/ the liberal policies towards illegal immigrants and even crime committing ones. Those exiting jail have a rap sheet and w/ an unemployment rate as high as we have of non-criminals.. it will be hard for a convicted and incarcerated criminal to find employment.. that leads to either crime/drain on social services.
CCW's are granted by either the Sheriff, Police Chief or both depending on the jurisdiction in which you live. Some Counties/Cities of California are easier than others to apply for and obtain a CCW. Any general issue CCW would allow the permitee to carry anywhere in the state. Unless their CCW came with restrictions. Also Federal Buildings and Schools are off limits to CCW unless you are an active duty LEO.

To your point California is burdened by a Gordian knot of gun regulations. State, Federal and local.

This should answer a few of your questions:http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/dow..._CCW_Guide.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 PM
 
501 posts, read 684,048 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
"if my life was endangered in my home.. " <- the keywords in what i said.
Yeah, wait for them to come inside the home... i bet the chances of waking up, grabbing a gun and correctly aiming on time are extremely high especially if more than one offender is involved. Me thinks not. Gun ownership gives only an illusion of protection and people often can be shot by their own gun--it does give a degree of protection, but not full by any means.... as to the dogs... apparently if you dog maims the thugs, you can go to jail and be sued out of your life saving and home. Guard dog training costs about 10K, otherwise if your dogs decides to take their throat out, you'll probably be in prison....
Wouldn't want CA to turn into a version of Wild West, where one has to have loaded gun ready to shoot at all times to be safe... I'm getting the hell out of this state. Just cause some people are good with guns and feel safer, others are not protected, as they're not experts in gun use...Sounds like more and more parts of CA are turning into big prisons where anything is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,889,673 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
Yeah, wait for them to come inside the home... i bet the chances of waking up, grabbing a gun and correctly aiming on time are extremely high especially if more than one offender is involved. Me thinks not. Gun ownership gives only an illusion of protection and people often can be shot by their own gun--it does give a degree of protection, but not full by any means.... as to the dogs... apparently if you dog maims the thugs, you can go to jail and be sued out of your life saving and home. Guard dog training costs about 10K, otherwise if your dogs decides to take their throat out, you'll probably be in prison....
Wouldn't want CA to turn into a version of Wild West, where one has to have loaded gun ready to shoot at all times to be safe... I'm getting the hell out of this state. Just cause some people are good with guns and feel safer, others are not protected, as they're not experts in gun use...Sounds like more and more parts of CA are turning into big prisons where anything is possible.
-> Light sleeper
-> Alarm
-> Two story dwelling
-> Gun is loaded w/ one in the chamber (no safety) - Military version of gun
by my bedside.

I don't worry or think about my ownership of a gun. You measure risk. Take action and move on... It's an essential tool for home safety. There are police .. but the criminals are seconds away from you while the police are minutes. Crime is everywhere.. violent crime is actually down 5% across the country. Just because I own a gun doesn't mean i think armageddon is coming.. Quite the opposite ... know the laws.. know the risk... prepare and enjoy life . Gun ownership is much higher outside CA .. People don't feel like they are in big prisons.. I can't even recall the last time I made eye contact w/ my gun.

Tranquilo .. its not that serious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:56 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,889,673 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
CCW's are granted by either the Sheriff, Police Chief or both depending on the jurisdiction in which you live. Some Counties/Cities of California are easier than others to apply for and obtain a CCW. Any general issue CCW would allow the permitee to carry anywhere in the state. Unless their CCW came with restrictions. Also Federal Buildings and Schools are off limits to CCW unless you are an active duty LEO.

To your point California is burdened by a Gordian knot of gun regulations. State, Federal and local.

This should answer a few of your questions:http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/dow..._CCW_Guide.pdf
*Cheers.. more information is always better !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 PM
 
501 posts, read 684,048 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
-> Light sleeper
-> Alarm
-> Two story dwelling
-> Gun is loaded w/ one in the chamber (no safety) - Military version of gun
by my bedside.

I don't worry or think about my ownership of a gun. You measure risk. Take action and move on... It's an essential tool for home safety. There are police .. but the criminals are seconds away from you while the police are minutes. Crime is everywhere.. violent crime is actually down 5% across the country. Just because I own a gun doesn't mean i think armageddon is coming.. Quite the opposite ... know the laws.. know the risk... prepare and enjoy life . Gun ownership is much higher outside CA .. People don't feel like they are in big prisons.. I can't even recall the last time I made eye contact w/ my gun.

Tranquilo .. its not that serious
Good luck with a gun if 6 illegals enter your house like they do in SoCal--they can shoot you before you aim. They can kill you, take the gun, and leave. They don't even exist on paper anywhere.

Sounds like you chose to live the Wild West style... may be exciting for some, not for me. I want to live without having to look over my shoulder.

Don't want to be on trial if I shoot someone in my home--because you will likely be on trial, even if self-defense. You'll likely be arrested. These things now stay on record forever, arrest without conviciton I mean--because record-keeping had changed, and electronic records attached to fingerprints are always visible to certain employers, like all medical employers.

No, the kind of crime that requires gun ownership is not everywhere... I lived all over the US over 15 years, all by myself, and I know.

Light sleeper? You NEVER know if you wake up on time, it's an illusion. 2-story?--what does it mean?--being trapped on the second floor once they intrude? Strong protection from a gun is nothing but an illusion; if fact if they know you got a gun inside the house, they're more likely to come after it, to get that gun.

My reference to big prisons had nothing to do with guns (though guns are owned by most thugs here in SoCal anyway)--big prisons means that since the state doesn't keep people locked up, they're released into the hood, and many CA hoods are nothing but big un-guarded prisons right now. Don't believe me--drive at night to South Central or San Bernardino. It's a matter of time before people come out of the impoverished ares. West LA and Santa Monica now has plenty of gang activity at night. Crime is bred by poverty and will spill more and more into "nice" areas, no one in nice areas is protected in the future.

Last edited by xani; 05-23-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
 
Location: California
30,702 posts, read 33,490,466 times
Reputation: 26130
Gotta love the armchair heros...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 PM
 
1,407 posts, read 2,153,076 times
Reputation: 1841
The three-judge panel ordered a reduction in the CA prison population. This can be accomplished in several ways. Some prisoners are being transferred to county jails, while others are being shipped to states more than willing to have them, as CA is paying much more than it would cost to keep them where they're at. Non-violent offenders that are short-timers will be considered for an early release.

The number of prisoners that need to come off the state prison rolls is already down to 32,000. A total of 19,000 prisoners have volunteered to be housed in prisons outside of Ca, where we send mid-level offenders.

So, we are looking at the release of several thousand, non-violent criminals being relesed up to one year earlier than they would normally have been released. Does this require an extra trip to the gun shop to stock up on ammo and a late night vigil in our best cammies? For some, the answer is "yes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top