U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:21 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,948,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
West LA and Santa Monica now has plenty of gang activity at night.
Wrong.

Just looked up your claims.

There have been no gang murders in SM in 2010 or 2011 (and one each in 2009 and 2008). Hardly "plenty of gang activity". Other SM murders in that time period stemmed out of domestic disputes (as well as a Russian mob hit -- which is usually not classified as "gang activity" - and a homeless-on-homeless murder). 1 SM murder stemming from a domestic dispute in 2011. The 2 SM murders in 2010 involved a domestic dispute and a dispute between neighbors - no gang involvement.

West LA - no murders of any kind in 4 years. West LA division of LAPD - no murders of any kind in 2011.In 2010: 2 gang related murders in Cadillac-Corning (which has a long gang history) and a white homeless man who was shoplifting on Santa Monica and Barrington killed by a security guard.

Murders are the most reliable indicator of overall crime in a neighborhood. If there was plenty of gang activity there'd be far more murders. Don't believe it? Check out the LA Times Homicide Report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 PM

501 posts, read 683,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
According to your logic : Damned if you do. Damned if you don't ... And when your damned if you do own a gun (every possible thing is going to go wrong when its time to use it). I don't really have much to say to a person like that. I wish you the best being unarmed in war zones outside of CA. Your 1st step should be locating in more affluent neighborhoods as the incidents of crime (especially violent) are much less. You can never eliminate crime.. but there are steps you can do to minimize it. I have nothing to say to your illogical views about perfectly sane steps to minimize it...
Exactly, pretty much damned either way, due to general situation in CA.
I don't want to be--armed or unarmed--in any war zones anymore--and that's why I prefer to leave CA.
Affluent neighborhoods? They have horrible crimes against a person happening all the time--because gangs and people from bad hoods come in all the time. I know of someone who had been kidnapped off Palo Alto (not East Palo Alto) street during the day time. Palo Alto--how much more affluent can it get? Not everyone can afford to live in the Marin county or Los Altos--only the certain class of people--I'm not one of them--and not everyone would want to live in a non-diverse place like Marin county anyway (which is only safe because it is isolated from crime areas by having no public transportation go there and the bridges). Most places in SoCal don't have this isolation.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 PM

501 posts, read 683,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Wrong.

Just looked up your claims.

There have been no gang murders in SM in 2010 or 2011 (and one each in 2009 and 2008). Hardly "plenty of gang activity". Other SM murders in that time period stemmed out of domestic disputes (as well as a Russian mob hit -- which is usually not classified as "gang activity" - and a homeless-on-homeless murder). 1 SM murder stemming from a domestic dispute in 2011. The 2 SM murders in 2010 involved a domestic dispute and a dispute between neighbors - no gang involvement.

West LA - no murders of any kind in 4 years. West LA division of LAPD - no murders of any kind in 2011.In 2010: 2 gang related murders in Cadillac-Corning (which has a long gang history) and a white homeless man who was shoplifting on Santa Monica and Barrington killed by a security guard.

Murders are the most reliable indicator of overall crime in a neighborhood. If there was plenty of gang activity there'd be far more murders. Don't believe it? Check out the LA Times Homicide Report.
There's plenty of gang activity in West LA and Santa Monica city, drug-related--do your research and you'll find the info.
http://www01.smgov.net/residents/sgv/ (broken link)

Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,127,732 times
You in here for smoking a joint? You are out of here.

You in here for child molestation? You ain't ever getting out.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,887,831 times
Quote:
Exactly, pretty much damned either way, due to general situation in CA.
I don't want to be--armed or unarmed--in any war zones anymore--and that's why I prefer to leave CA.
Affluent neighborhoods? They have horrible crimes against a person happening all the time--because gangs and people from bad hoods come in all the time. I know of someone who had been kidnapped off Palo Alto (not East Palo Alto) street during the day time. Palo Alto--how much more affluent can it get? Not everyone can afford to live in the Marin county or Los Altos--only the certain class of people--I'm not one of them--and not everyone would want to live in a non-diverse place like Marin county anyway (which is only safe because it is isolated from crime areas by having no public transportation go there and the bridges). Most places in SoCal don't have this isolation.
K, your point is more clear now and I respect your opinion and desire to move.
I think we both agree that your life is not guaranteed to be saved if you own a gun. I agree w/ you here.. and the biggest thing you can do to save your life/safety is to be locate out of where you feel it is at risk.. that is a combination of statistics, perceived fear, and your personal opinion and is not open to my or other's opinions.

As for the Palo Alto incident.. I am familiar with it and heard of the details the day it happened ... Here are the specifics :
Victim testifies in Palo Alto abduction, rape case - San Jose Mercury News

Thing you have to note here.. there are psychos everywhere... 1:30 - 2:30 a.m passed out in your car ... female on El Camino road (pretty much vacant around this time) .. no matter where you live that isn't safe.... Take your pick from the best neighborhoods in the U.S and something will most definitely happen to you eventually. There are sick twisted people everywhere.. That being said, the perp either followed her from the club or was some lowlife to be walking around in PA along this stretch at this time o night.... Nevertheless, for a crime of this nature in PA, it was a super isolated case ... But yeah, there have been heightened robberies/etc in Palo Alto (very affluent neighborhood) .. notably from people coming over from East Palo Alto (the hood) that is only separated by a highway.... which you can walk over.

One thing that I noticed here in CA that i never observed in other states is the disparity/separation between the haves and have nots... California has this heightened due to the high taxation/cost of living ... This creates issues especially when a large swell of have nots live a city over from the haves... In Norcal you have (eastbay) and the bay .. although there is a bigger separation .. I still find it troubling.. as there's basically i whole region I would try never to be caught in after dark.

CA has serious long term issues .. I monitor them as well.

Your views are researched and I respect them. Wish you the best on being safe. No matter where you go though as you do already.. gun ownership isn't such a bad thing. I am watching the crime levels in CA closely as I am other factors myself for moving. *Cheers

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 05-23-2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,948,037 times
Quote:
There's plenty of gang activity in West LA and Santa Monica city, drug-related--do your research and you'll find the info.
City of Santa Monica - Stop Gang Violence (http://www01.smgov.net/residents/sgv/ - broken link)
That site says that gangs exist (specifically in one small part of SM, and the total number of gang members in SM is less than 50). It does not indicate that there is "plenty of gang activity" but says there is less than other places. If there was plenty, there would be far more murders. The site hasn't been updated since 2006 (the statistics I referred to are more recent and clearly show a decline, as opposed to your implying there was an increase)

I did my research as my post indicates - here's my source: Los Angeles murders and homicides - Homicide Report - Los Angeles Times
Santa Monica - Neighborhoods - Homicide Report - Los Angeles Times (1 gang murder yearly in 2007, 2008, and 2009, none in 2010 or 2011)

2007 had more murders in West LA division then the number tapered off - besides the 2 killings in 2010 and 1 killing in 2009 in an area with a very long gang history which is amongst the most dangerous parts of the westside (which occurred during the day and afternoon, not at night), there was one gang killing in 2008 (at night) in an adjacent neighborhood which is no stranger to gang violence:
LAPD West L.A. - Jurisdictions - Homicide Report - Los Angeles Times

If there was "plenty of gang activity" the numbers would be more like those of Echo Park or East Hollywood....

Last edited by majoun; 05-23-2011 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM

1,402 posts, read 2,150,920 times
Quote:
I think this will depend on which neighborhood your live in. I live in high-crime neighborhood and fully expect these offenders to be concentrated around area like mine, so these things affect people like me especially.
I've lived in a high-crime neighborhood and I don't recommend it. Only time will tell, though, if you will have an increase in crime in your neighborhood because of the recent court decision. It is more likely that you will see an increase in law enforcement efforts to revoke the parole of as many parolees as possible.

Keep in mind that being understood to be soft on crime is anathema to a politician, and the CCPOA certainly doesn't want to lose any jobs, so there is tremendous pressure behind the scenes to keep these inmates incarcerated somewhere. There are at least four other states begging to house these prisoners, as this means new jobs, even if they only pay $8 per hour.

When speaking about convicts, an image of a tattooed gang member who has stolen, beaten, raped, or murdered to earn his trip to the graybar hotel often comes to mind. But there are some offenders who have committed lesser crimes, albeit over and over. These latter types may be released early if they qualify, vis a vis their record and time left to serve.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Most places in SoCal don't have this isolation.
Perhaps they should. It could enhance the quality of life.

I remember all too well how safety and well-being degraded in downtown Sacramento when the light rail opened a new line into the barrios and ghettos of South Sac. Within two weeks there was the first-ever shooting in the histiory of the Downtown Plaza - one gang related. Bangers took advantage of the trains, for which they never paid fare, to come into the city to steal and terrorize.

Isolation can be comforting unless you really enjoy living on the edge and dealing with low-life scum.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:08 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,127,732 times
California improperly freed more than 450 dangerous criminals without supervision last year as part of a controversial parole program designed to reduce prison crowding and cost, the California prison system's independent inspector general said in a report Wednesday.

The Associated Press: APNewsBreak: Calif. freed 450 high-risk parolees

Nice.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 PM

539 posts, read 1,008,722 times
Yet people were more angry when Paris Hilton didn't get jail time. Way to get your priorities straight, Americans!

IMO, for those who voted against initiatives that would have build more prison space in California, I have no sympathy for their outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or