Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
Good luck with a gun if 6 illegals enter your house like they do in SoCal--they can shoot you before you aim. They can kill you, take the gun, and leave. They don't even exist on paper anywhere.
18 bullets across two loaded clips and a narrow stairwell where i have viewing advantage suggests all of them would be dead and I would be alive.

Quote:
Sounds like you chose to live the Wild West style... may be exciting for some, not for me. I want to live without having to look over my shoulder.
I live in one of the more affluent neighborhoods in NorCal. Sounds like I am prepared for even the most improbable of events.

Quote:
Don't want to be on trial if I shoot someone in my home--because you will likely be on trial, even if self-defense. You'll likely be arrested. These things now stay on record forever, arrest without conviciton I mean--because record-keeping had changed, and electronic records attached to fingerprints are always visible to certain employers, like all medical employers.
Sounds like you are thinking too hard and would be one of the dead people feeling as though you couldn't act within the law... The law is the law and provides ample room for one to defend their lives if under threat via lethal force in the home. I'm not concerned about any other details when I am within the law.

Quote:
No, the kind of crime that requires gun ownership is not everywhere... I lived all over the US over 15 years, all by myself, and I know.
I have myself as well. Voilent crime capable of taking your life can strike any and everywhere. A gun is a tool. Stop treating it otherwise or suggest that if you own one it is 'required' due to crime.

Quote:
Light sleeper? You NEVER know if you wake up on time, it's an illusion. 2-story?--what does it mean?--being trapped on the second floor once they intrude? Strong protection from a gun is nothing but an illusion; if fact if they know you got a gun inside the house, they're more likely to come after it, to get that gun.
LOL, so .. let me get this straight.. someone breaks into my home.. my alarm goes off (control panel in my room) .. Somehow i don't hear the high decibel noise that would wake someone up from a coma ...intruders make it up the stairs and through my locked bedroom and kill me dead before i reach 2 feet over to grab a gun and defend myself. You're delusional.

And so I get this right, explain to me how better off you are mr.non gun owner? Going to call the police and pray they get there before the criminals do?

Quote:
My reference to big prisons had nothing to do with guns (though guns are owned by most thugs here in SoCal anyway)--big prisons means that since the state doesn't keep people locked up, they're released into the hood, and many CA hoods are nothing but big un-guarded prisons right now. Don't believe me--drive at night to South Central or San Bernardino. It's a matter of time before people come out of the impoverished ares. West LA and Santa Monica now has plenty of gang activity at night. Crime is bred by poverty and will spill more and more into "nice" areas, no one in nice areas is protected in the future.
Agreed.. crime is bred by poverty and from trends in other states I have lived in.. they spread to affluent neighborhoods as they have actual things of value to steal. I never said I felt protected in my 'nice' area... You apparently do by your contradicting statements and feel those safe areas are outside of CA... A huge massive state of varying diversity of crime levels. I know that crime can come to any place... CA .. texas .. idaho .. any place you want to name.. Given that, i have a means of personal protection.

Where I choose to live is determined by a lot of factors.... Certain factors will increase the likelihood that you will be victimized .. Duh... so you minimize those factors ... by choice of location where you live and by preparing yourself for even the 'low' possibility becoming your reality. I dont want to turn this into a gun debate thread.. So, your opinion is noted. You'll live the way you do and I will live the way I do. So we are clear though, don't aim to try to point those out who don't live like you to be of a wild wild west mentality. You don't own a gun. You can't read minds of those who do and your opinion should only be related to your own personal psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 05:29 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I'm told by one of the Captains for our local Conservation camp (Populated by inmates) that they are having a hard time meeting their minimum staffing levels for the crews. On paper, each crew is 15 inmates, but when they were here in town doing some work on our park, they only had 9 inmates.

I know the crews are counted as prisoners in the system (and it's a lot cheaper to house them in the camps than in the main prisons) but I wonder what the hang up is.
I wondered about this, too. While most prisoners are in good physical shape, I think the timed run prevents many of them from qualifying (sometimes those smokes get you earlier than later). Also, their paperwork can get lost, and they have to start the process all over again. Other prisoners just prefer to stay where they're at, close to home where the families can visit them regularly.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM

898 posts, read 827,796 times
You want "progressive" judges and pols and this is just the beginning of what you'll get. Liberals are so stupid and childlike.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 PM

500 posts, read 841,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
The three-judge panel ordered a reduction in the CA prison population. This can be accomplished in several ways. Some prisoners are being transferred to county jails, while others are being shipped to states more than willing to have them, as CA is paying much more than it would cost to keep them where they're at. Non-violent offenders that are short-timers will be considered for an early release.

The number of prisoners that need to come off the state prison rolls is already down to 32,000. A total of 19,000 prisoners have volunteered to be housed in prisons outside of Ca, where we send mid-level offenders.

So, we are looking at the release of several thousand, non-violent criminals being relesed up to one year earlier than they would normally have been released. Does this require an extra trip to the gun shop to stock up on ammo and a late night vigil in our best cammies? For some, the answer is "yes."
I think this will depend on which neighborhood your live in. I live in high-crime neighborhood and fully expect these offenders to be concentrated around area like mine, so these things affect people like me especially.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
18 bullets across two loaded clips and a narrow stairwell where i have viewing advantage suggests all of them would be dead and I would be alive.

I live in one of the more affluent neighborhoods in NorCal. Sounds like I am prepared for even the most improbable of events.

Sounds like you are thinking too hard and would be one of the dead people feeling as though you couldn't act within the law... The law is the law and provides ample room for one to defend their lives if under threat via lethal force in the home. I'm not concerned about any other details when I am within the law.

I have myself as well. Voilent crime capable of taking your life can strike any and everywhere. A gun is a tool. Stop treating it otherwise or suggest that if you own one it is 'required' due to crime.

LOL, so .. let me get this straight.. someone breaks into my home.. my alarm goes off (control panel in my room) .. Somehow i don't hear the high decibel noise that would wake someone up from a coma ...intruders make it up the stairs and through my locked bedroom and kill me dead before i reach 2 feet over to grab a gun and defend myself. You're delusional.

And so I get this right, explain to me how better off you are mr.non gun owner? Going to call the police and pray they get there before the criminals do?

Agreed.. crime is bred by poverty and from trends in other states I have lived in.. they spread to affluent neighborhoods as they have actual things of value to steal. I never said I felt protected in my 'nice' area... You apparently do by your contradicting statements and feel those safe areas are outside of CA... A huge massive state of varying diversity of crime levels. I know that crime can come to any place... CA .. texas .. idaho .. any place you want to name.. Given that, i have a means of personal protection.

Where I choose to live is determined by a lot of factors.... Certain factors will increase the likelihood that you will be victimized .. Duh... so you minimize those factors ... by choice of location where you live and by preparing yourself for even the 'low' possibility becoming your reality. I dont want to turn this into a gun debate thread.. So, your opinion is noted. You'll live the way you do and I will live the way I do. So we are clear though, don't aim to try to point those out who don't live like you to be of a wild wild west mentality. You don't own a gun. You can't read minds of those who do and your opinion should only be related to your own personal psychology.
Since when you assumed I'm a non-gun owner?
That's really bright of you, cause I do own a gun and I used a gun on a human being before, as I had been a solider. It's just I'm realistic and don't expect too much protection from guns.
I had been under gun fire, and I had been taught the use of guns, including Kalashnikov, since age 12, as part of mandatory military training.
I don't care for guns.
I think your scenario of self-protection has little to do with reality....
If people want to get you--they will get you, whether you got a gun or not.
As to alarms--I lived in a house before where alarm had to be set at all times--alarm is a great thing--but now I prefer to live where people can live without alarms. Don't want to live on the box with explosives. Alarms can be disabled. And even people living in wealthy areas (I live in poor area) have NO protection from future crime that WILL spill into their neighborhoods. You may stay away from East Bay--doesn't mean East Bay will stay always away from your house.
Anyway, I don't want to live in war zone or future war zone that CA is, due to unmanageable poverty in SoCal, and I'm leaving.

Last edited by xani; 05-23-2011 at 07:12 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianapolisrecruiter View Post
. That is how you will scare all the working class people out of your state and have them come to Indiana/Texas/Arizona and Nevada. Nobody wants to live in a place where Illegals can just roam free across the street's cause if i am correct they BROKE THE LAW!
So they're being scared out of CA because of illegals and relocating to places like Texas and AZ that also have a huge problem with illegals? Is that some sort of Indiana logic you use there?

It's so ironic how people (usually conservatives) rail on CA for its illegal problems yet praise places like AZ and TX despite the fact they suffer from many of the same problems with illegals.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's so ironic how people (usually conservatives) rail on CA for its illegal problems yet praise places like AZ and TX despite the fact they suffer from many of the same problems with illegals.
But the differences are, they don 't treat them like pets and they don't establish sanctuaries for them or let them scate on their status. Or are those differences difficult to comprehend?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Illegals in CA can not just roam around free... they can drive a car in CA, without a license, and have nothing happen to them, and often not even have their vehicle confiscated, after a traffic stop or accident.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But the differences are, they don 't treat them like pets and they don't establish sanctuaries for them or let them scate on their status. Or are those differences difficult to comprehend?
Yet they have the same problems, so what difference does it REALLY make? Or is it too difficult to comprehend that despite their more anti-illegal RHETORIC they're really isn't much of a difference when it comes to the problems illegals bring to each state?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Since when you assumed I'm a non-gun owner?
That's really bright of you, cause I do own a gun and I used a gun on a human being before, as I had been a solider. It's just I'm realistic and don't expect too much protection from guns.
I had been under gun fire, and I had been taught the use of guns, including Kalashnikov, since age 12, as part of mandatory military training.
I don't care for guns.
I think your scenario of self-protection has little to do with reality....
If people want to get you--they will get you, whether you got a gun or not.
As to alarms--I lived in a house before where alarm had to be set at all times--alarm is a great thing--but now I prefer to live where people can live without alarms. Don't want to live on the box with explosives. Alarms can be disabled. And even people living in wealthy areas (I live in poor area) have NO protection from future crime that WILL spill into their neighborhoods. You may stay away from East Bay--doesn't mean East Bay will stay always away from your house.
You know know if you can protect yourself with your gun, nobody is safe.
Anyway, I don't want to live in war zone or future war zone that CA is, due to unmanageable poverty in SoCal, and I'm leaving.
According to your logic : Damned if you do. Damned if you don't ... And when your damned if you do own a gun (every possible thing is going to go wrong when its time to use it). No one is out to get me... I don't live a lifestyle like that nor do I live in fear of things I can't prevent... I wish you the best being in war zones outside of CA. Your 1st step should be locating in more affluent neighborhoods as the incidents of crime (especially violent) are much less. You can never eliminate crime.. but there are steps you can do to minimize it. I have nothing further to say to your illogical views about perfectly sane steps to minimize the likelihood that you are a victim to crime. Why do I get the feeling though that your views would be a lot different if you didn't live in a poor neighborhood... ??? O'well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California