U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
11,855 posts, read 9,465,703 times
Reputation: 5529
The four corners high is the dominating weather force in the SD area at the moment. Our dew point is now 64 and up to 66 in some local areas. Definitely feeling the humidity here now. There were build ups and a few showers in the mountains yesterday. Today they're supposed to be more numerous and one local channel said there's a possibility that a stray shower or thunderstorm could drift west into the inland valleys.

The trough is supposed to re establish itself early next week with cooler temperatures and lower humidity.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: In them thar hills
7,778 posts, read 8,962,532 times
Reputation: 3890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The four corners high is the dominating weather force in the SD area at the moment. Our dew point is now 64 and up to 66 in some local areas. Definitely feeling the humidity here now. There were build ups and a few showers in the mountains yesterday. Today they're supposed to be more numerous and one local channel said there's a possibility that a stray shower or thunderstorm could drift west into the inland valleys.

The trough is supposed to re establish itself early next week with cooler temperatures and lower humidity.
There are active cells right now in SLO County and I could see growing build ups to my SE ~ N. San Benito Co and maybe a bit into Stanislaus Co.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
11,855 posts, read 9,465,703 times
Reputation: 5529
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are active cells right now in SLO County and I could see growing build ups to my SE ~ N. San Benito Co and maybe a bit into Stanislaus Co.
Perhaps over the mt. Hamilton area and near Altamont Pass as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 05:05 PM
 
Location: In them thar hills
7,778 posts, read 8,962,532 times
Reputation: 3890
Mostly quiet now in this CWA and should remain so for a while. There are indications that the typical Fall pattern (aka Indian Summer) may settle in for good after the holiday (we've already gotten a good taste of it).

Meanwhile, regarding the next CWA to the northeast (aka the Reno CWA) - for all those braving Burning Man - it will probably not be all that warm. Wind, some clouds and the odd shower, are fixing to make for an unsettled pattern through the holiday. Sort of bad for shrinkage factor (but there are of course other upsides to a slight chill).

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
11,855 posts, read 9,465,703 times
Reputation: 5529
The monsoon is beginning to break down in SoCal too. The build ups over the mountains were much less significant than they have been and I believe none developed into thunderstorms today. The marine layer has returned to the coastal areas quite prominently.

However this is our transitional period so for most of the day, the dew points were still in the mid 60's (64 to be exact). However it seems to have dropped this evening but I haven't checked that number yet. Definitely feels a little less humid. The inland temps however are still in the mid 90's as the heat waves start and end a day earlier and later respectively in our inland areas. A cooling trend is now in effect. This pattern is supposed to continue through the remainder of the week.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM
 
Location: In them thar hills
7,778 posts, read 8,962,532 times
Reputation: 3890
I'm looking at the extended models, looking at the prog for the NEPAC for 6-SEP. There is a massive Gulf of Alaska storm depicted, with cold front trailing all the way down to the western portion of the Hawaiian Islands. The Pacific High is still shown, albeit as a sliver of a ridge, barely protecting California south of about Cape Mendocino. It will be interesting to see how this shapes up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
11,855 posts, read 9,465,703 times
Reputation: 5529
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I'm looking at the extended models, looking at the prog for the NEPAC for 6-SEP. There is a massive Gulf of Alaska storm depicted, with cold front trailing all the way down to the western portion of the Hawaiian Islands. The Pacific High is still shown, albeit as a sliver of a ridge, barely protecting California south of about Cape Mendocino. It will be interesting to see how this shapes up.
According to the forecast here, we're supposed to have another warm up with possible build ups again in the mountains and deserts. However the four corners high isn't supposed to be quite a strong in this area as it was last week.

Right now dew points are around 59-60, certainly more comfortable than the 64 we had just a few days ago but still higher than what might be expected in the Bay Area which is normal for SD.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
11,855 posts, read 9,465,703 times
Reputation: 5529
Altocumulus clouds are beginning to come in from the south and southeast, a sure sign of the returning monsoon. Build ups and possible thunderstorms are forecasts for the local mountains and deserts over the weekend, For the coast, it will mean the usual increase in humidity once again. Dew point right now is still around 60 but is expected to rise over the weekend and into early next week.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: In them thar hills
7,778 posts, read 8,962,532 times
Reputation: 3890
Up here started out very "Fall like" - very smoggy and still until well into the afternoon. Now the wind is picking up (mostly onshore but with a very northerly component). Forecast here is to move into Santa Ana mode (up here they don't call them that, but it is what it is) by tomorrow. Santa Anas until Monday then back to onshore. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot. Maybe even onset of late Fall conditions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 06:55 PM
 
19,219 posts, read 11,229,077 times
Reputation: 16206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Up here started out very "Fall like" - very smoggy and still until well into the afternoon. Now the wind is picking up (mostly onshore but with a very northerly component). Forecast here is to move into Santa Ana mode (up here they don't call them that, but it is what it is) by tomorrow. Santa Anas until Monday then back to onshore. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot. Maybe even onset of late Fall conditions.

Some snow before the Rifle Deer opener would be nice.

In the Sierra of course. They have already started shootin the dog size deer on the coast.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top