U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 PM

7,791 posts, read 9,041,511 times
It's been a week since the last mid latitude rain producing system. No prog of anything within the 7 - 10 day forecast window. It we get to 3 weeks with no systems I think it would be safe to declare the rainy season over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM

19,292 posts, read 11,406,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's been a week since the last mid latitude rain producing system. No prog of anything within the 7 - 10 day forecast window. It we get to 3 weeks with no systems I think it would be safe to declare the rainy season over.
Um yeah it a good assumption it over now.

Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 AM

TEMPERATURES WILL DROP TO BELOW NORMAL AS A RATHER CHILLY AIRMASS MOVES OVERHEAD. THE 00Z MODELS SHOW THAT THE AIRMASS COULD BE AS MUCH AS 2-4 STANDARD DEVIATIONS BELOW NORMAL. SOMEWHAT IMPRESSIVE FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR. THAT BEING SAID...A SLIGHT COOL DOWN TOMORROW THEN MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES FRIDAY AND THE WEEKEND. TEMPERATURES OVER THE WEEKEND COULD BE AS MUCH AS 5 TO 10 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL.

================================================== ==========

The nearly as cold as but drier than last year pattern continues.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 PM

LONG TERM(SUNDAY-WEDNESDAY)...NOT MUCH OF A WARM UP IS EXPECTED THROUGH THE LONG TERM. SUNDAY AND MONDAY...THE UPPER LOW OFF THE COAST WILL CONTINUE ITS SLOW PROGRESSION EASTWARD. INTERESTING TO NOTE THOUGH...THE 12Z EURO AND GEM MODEL BRUSH THE N BAY WITH LIGHT QPF MONDAY EVENING. FOR NOW...WILL KEEP FORECAST DRY AS BULK OF MOISTURE SHOULD REMAIN N OF CWA. IF THIS TREND CONTINUES MAY HAVE TO ADD LOW POPS NORTH BAY MONDAY EVENING.

================================

Interesting.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 PM

19,292 posts, read 11,406,362 times
So much for the first pool party of the season this Saturday.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Sit rep from Central San Mateo County. cold low temp this AM, upper 40s. At that point sky was clear. Just after dawn, mid and low level clouds piled in from the West. As I left for work (from the hills) we had borderline drizzle / light rain. As I drove to work it was just cracking 50. Now, here in the flatlands, it's started to drizzle and still in the low 50s.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM

250 posts, read 254,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Grapes turn out differently in different climates. Hotter areas produce sweeter grapes. Wine grapes aren't grown for their sweetness, thus you will find them in areas with cool summers. But generally, if the days are above 85F most varieties will produce ok. It just takes longer for them to ripen and what is more important is having hot days during the end of summer when they are laid out to dry for raisin production. In California the variety "Thompson's Seedless" is the dominant raisin grape, and is likely to be the green grapes you see in the grocers.

Most people like sweet Apricots. They need warmer weather earlier in the season. They tend to ripen at the end of May and early June. That isn't going to happen this year and they are going to be a little tart, which I'm OK with because that is my preference in fruit. The peaches will be ok, but will take longer to ripen. In Kings, Tulare and Kern Counties there are a lot of crops that are grown there that require hotter weather. Corn, cantelopes and watermelons are among them. Without hot weather watermelons end up tasting like water.
Sorry, going to have to disagree. Grew up in Portland, OR area and many of the produce that you state needs hot weather to ripen, especially corn, "Thompson's Seedless," cantelopes, and water melons, do just fine and taste awesome grown up in the much cooler PNW. My father grew those and many more every year and we did all our shopping at local markets and co-ops that only carried local food, and it tasted awesome! In fact, I've really stopped eating a lot of fruit/veggies since moving down to California, (I know, it's not healthy, but they just don't taste right and has very little of the flavor I remember from living in Portland). We (my husband and I) have had gardens the 18 years living here in California, from Visalia to San Diego, and I will say growing flavorful fruit and veggies is much harder here, especially the years that are hot as the plants seem to stress and not produce well (especially tomatoes), than the bountiful, great tasting produce I received from our wonderful gardens up in Oregon.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 299 times
Forecasting on this forum has not been updated, hope it will be soon?
WordPress Newsletter Plugin

Old 06-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Update:

=======================

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

=================================

We seem to be experiencing a "mini me" of last "Summer."

Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM

11,919 posts, read 9,577,217 times
Just got some light rain in Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California