Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

Ca isnt a bad place to live but its so damn expensive. Its ashame brown lied to us but so did arnold & grey davis. I guess you cant be a politician unless you're a liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 01:06 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Ca isnt a bad place to live but its so damn expensive. Its ashame brown lied to us but so did arnold & grey davis. I guess you cant be a politician unless you're a liar.
Nope.. it isn't at all .. it's a naturally beautiful place w/ amazing weather. The taxation and cost of living however are a factor in people decisions ... This isn't helped by, as you state, the clowns who run the state and keep getting elected to. Comes to hard decisions for some. To others, the allure of beauty, beautiful weather, and opportunity outweigh it all .. Their efforts/energy lie in their work and in enjoying the state.. not much else.. and well, the politics/government reflect that valuation system.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:59 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Agreed, your low/mid-low don't pay much tax in CA ... CA's taxes are largely progressive. As for tax estimates though, one minor correction. You only need to clear around $86-$87k as a single individual in order to be on the hook for $6,000 in income tax. This is the average salary of a starting engineer.
Its obviously going to depend on the deductions, I'm assuming a typical set of deductions. That is, mortgage interest deductions, 401(k) contributions, etc. But an individual income of $85k is around double the median individual income.

My point is that the vast majority of California residents don't pay high taxes in comparison to other states, yet people always talk about the high taxes.

Anyhow, one thing I don't get about brown is that he is going to take the income tax increases off the table due to the increase in tax revenue, why not the sales tax? Sales tax is regressive, especially now with the internet, so it should be the first to be removed.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:15 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
When I was in Connecticut, we had to pay property tax on cars to the city. That was in addition to registration and all DMV fees. I don't have the exact numbers, but I had cars that were 12 years old and had 120K+ miles on them and the city would still value them at $5-7K (one of them was a Kia, no luxury brands here). So since moving to CA, I feel the pain less-at least on this specific fee.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Its obviously going to depend on the deductions, I'm assuming a typical set of deductions. That is, mortgage interest deductions, 401(k) contributions, etc. But an individual income of $85k is around double the median individual income.

My point is that the vast majority of California residents don't pay high taxes in comparison to other states, yet people always talk about the high taxes.

Anyhow, one thing I don't get about brown is that he is going to take the income tax increases off the table due to the increase in tax revenue, why not the sales tax? Sales tax is regressive, especially now with the internet, so it should be the first to be removed.
K, i will agree on some of these points. I will just say though ... typical deductions if you don't have a mortgage are not going to substantially impact the $6k figure. Further, if you have a mortgage such that you can deduct mortgage interest, you also have property tax that far outweighs any tax reduction from mortgage interest. The $6k figure related to (taxable income) .. sorry for my mistake in clarification.

I agree though hat the vast majority of Californian's, given that they don't make much, don't pay much taxes compared to other states... Its when you start making more/spending more that you do .. thus, the very regressive nature of CA.

Brown is an idiot I am afraid user_id ... I just wish he would make up his mind already so that people can decide what they want to do in reaction. As for sales tax, yeah... I know tons of people who order non-essentials completely from online to avoid taxes... Buying a computer/big ticket item... people have their friends buy it out of state .. $2,000 apple laptop .. ~ $180 in tax ... they'll just buy it out of state... amazon/etc.

The basic feeling I have about CA is that they have 100-200 diff. ways to tax you .. they don't really care about how they do it ... they literally seem to throw their hand in a jar and pick a # .... Their feeling is .. the weather is great ... the landscape beautiful .. people will just suck it up and deal w/ it ... if the reaction is that people subvert the tax measure.. and revenue doesn't come in as expected.. they'll just create a new one or increase some other one.. it's just revenue at the end of the day.. they could care less of what social impacts it has.. as long as they get their $$$

Old 05-28-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
K, i will agree on some of these points. I will just say though ... typical deductions if you don't have a mortgage are not going to substantially impact the $6k figure. Further, if you have a mortgage such that you can deduct mortgage interest, you also have property tax that far outweighs any tax reduction from mortgage interest. The $6k figure related to (taxable income) .. sorry for my mistake in clarification.
If someone making $100k puts 10% of his/her income into a 401(k) they will save almost $1,000 in state income tax. In terms of property tax, you're forgetting that renters pay property tax as well, they just pay it indirectly via their landlord.

Coming up with $15k in deductions isn't that difficult for an individual making $100k and that is all it would take to get your state income taxes down to $6,000. You are considering someone with no deductions at all...

Regardless, the tax burden in California is similar to other similar states, but the low/mid income folks get off easier than most other states. I'm really not sure why people complain so much about taxes in California, its just a popular meme I guess.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Regardless, the tax burden in California is similar to other similar states, but the low/mid income folks get off easier than most other states. I'm really not sure why people complain so much about taxes in California, its just a popular meme I guess.
The problem is that with the cost of living here, you pretty much have to be high income relative to other states to have a comparable standard of living.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:24 PM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times
Too bad there isn't a p*ssing and moaning tax -- budget problem solved.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Too bad there isn't a p*ssing and moaning tax -- budget problem solved.
To bad there isn't a, since you think everything is so spiffy... pay 50% more tax .... that would solve the budget problem 10x over LOL

Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The problem is that with the cost of living here, you pretty much have to be high income relative to other states to have a comparable standard of living.
Here? You mean Orange County? The median household income in California is around $60,000 and once you adjust for the higher incomes the cost of living in California is just a bit higher than average for the nation.

Also, where in the country can you have a truly comparable living for less? Buying a McMansion in some Texan suburb is nothing like living in say the Silicon Valley...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California