U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 AM

5,480 posts, read 12,303,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Thank you for your opinion .. but as you stated.. it's subjective and a personal decision. Some people care for different weather.. climates.. etc .. it's not that they don't appreciate mountains kayaking.. etc... they might actually prefer different geography. Most people work Mon-Fri. 71% of the year are working days... I don't know many who go kayaking in the middle of the week.. and w/ kids to raise, I don't think you will be doing a whole lot after work besides tending to them... So then comes those treasured 2 days of the week and you find yourself wondering what to do ... there is more than enough to do in other places IMO. Having not been raised in CA, I had a great and fun child hood. One of the things myself and my parents did was travel a lot.. within the state and out of it.. This was most afforded by the extra disposable income they had. Although I hear your subjective view on the matter.. I still see remarks like 'appreciate' etc creep through.... How many residents of California are able to appreciate a very warm beach year round? Snorkeling .. Diving.. Playing w/ dolphins .. Its always possible to whip out a list of fun things to do in any given place in the U.S .. What you will find is people eventually settle on a set of activities amongst the large array and adapt and find happiness in them.
I wonder what percentage of California residents ever travel (in the state) or out of it.... You would think sometimes that people from this state have never seen anything outside its borders the way they talk about it...
You bring out some fair points. I have friends and coworkers from other states who could be just as happy living in Utah, Wisconsin, etc... if it wasn't for job/family (through marriage) that brought them here. Why, because they have some great memories of childhood growing up in the snow, etc... and having fun living there.

My main point is that there is more to a state than it's politics and current numbers. For example I love the outdoors and nature photography. I can and do enjoy the outdoors throughout the week as well as the weekends. For example here is what I did during the week (before/after work) while living in CO in the Winter:

And here is what I do during the week in the Winter living in CA:

In both cases I arrived before dawn and caught the sunrise. In CO it was many times ~ 5-15 degrees. In CA it ranges from 45-60 and no snow. One is not necessarily better than the other, just different. I prefer the later, although didn't regret living in the Rocky Mountain state either. It's just a different way of life - with no ocean. That was a huge one for me.

But as others have mentioned there are more pulls to a state than even the weather or its natural beauty. There is an emotional draw based on family and one's life experiences like love for the sea and mountains for example. CO would have been perfect for us if it was within driving distance from the ocean.

Where else can you enjoy the mountains and sea in one state? Oh yeah, we almost moved there = the PNW. I mean we seriously considered it while living in CO, despite its political & economic mess. We even picked out a suburb of Portland and drove the streets looking at homes. But the more than often cloudy/dreary weather combined with greater distances from extended family drew us back to CA. On the other hand I worked with someone from Oregon originally who just moved back to the Promise Land to be nearer family and enjoy more affordable living. So for him and his family (wife & two children) it was the better choice. And he is conservative living in a very liberal area. But for he and his family that is in noise compared the benefits he reaps living there.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-31-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:05 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,940,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holls View Post
Looking for a place to raise my family. Want to stay in the west, but we keep filtering out all the western region. My husband is from Ca and has been trying to get me to move there for years. I have my doubts though. Is California even worth it with all the political problems, the high taxes and high cost of living, the public schools which I hear aren't that great (am I right?) and the fact that soon enough California will be swallowed up by the ocean. I think we all know that something is going to happen soon--look at what's happening in the rest of the country? Don't mean to be negative, but that's why I'm on the forum. I want to check it out and make sure it's the right decision for us for the long haul. Areas we're looking at are Santa Rosa, Monterey, and maybe Paso Robles.
political problems, the high taxes and high cost of living, the public schools which I hear aren't that great (am I right?)

Sounds like Oregon, which is another popular destination for transplants.

I'm a firm believer that NO place is totally safe from some type of disaster. People here where I live are always making comments about how "nothing ever happens here" but should we ever have a major quake we'll likely be in worse shape than California would be, because people are not prepared for it.

You could live with the possibility of an earthquake striking at any time, and living comfortably otherwise ~ or live in a region that gets consistently harsh winter conditions every year (which sounds 110% worse to me).

At least you're looking into some nice areas.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,303,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
political problems, the high taxes and high cost of living, the public schools which I hear aren't that great (am I right?)

Sounds like Oregon, which is another popular destination for transplants.

I'm a firm believer that NO place is totally safe from some type of disaster. People here where I live are always making comments about how "nothing ever happens here" but should we ever have a major quake we'll likely be in worse shape than California would be, because people are not prepared for it.

You could live with the possibility of an earthquake striking at any time, and living comfortably otherwise ~ or live in a region that gets consistently harsh winter conditions every year (which sounds 110% worse to me).

At least you're looking into some nice areas.
Good points Bluesmama! One has to weigh all the pros/cons of a place for them = the subjective part. While the Widwest, East or South are aren't threatened by earthquakes like CA they have their own natural disasters and other problems to deal with more frequently. No place is perfect. So pick which one works best for you.

BTW, your status says still waiting for Spring. Doesn't that need to be updated since its almost June?

Here are a couple shots from OR a few years back during May. It was gorgeous out and Spring had definately sprung when we visited.

I love those Rhododendrons and they were everywhere!

Derek

Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,940,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Good points Bluesmama! One has to weigh all the pros/cons of a place for them = the subjective part. While the Widwest, East or South are aren't threatened by earthquakes like CA they have their own natural disasters and other problems to deal with more frequently. No place is perfect. So pick which one works best for you.

BTW, your status says still waiting for Spring. Doesn't that need to be updated since its almost June?

Here are a couple shots from OR a few years back during May. It was gorgeous out and Spring had definately sprung when we visited.

Derek
Awesome! Awesome! Gorgeous shots! And I love rhodies!

But, yeah, we're still waiting for spring. The season has been horrible this year, like a long late-winter. It might start looking up starting this coming weekend.

Thanks again!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,880,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
You bring out some fair points. I have friends and coworkers from other states who could be just as happy living in Utah, Wisconsin, etc... if it wasn't for job/family (through marriage) that brought them here. Why, because they have some great memories of childhood growing up in the snow, etc... and having fun living there.

My main point is that there is more to a state than it's politics and current numbers. For example I love the outdoors and nature photography. I can and do enjoy the outdoors throughout the week as well as the weekends. For example here is what I did during the week (before/after work) while living in CO in the Winter:

And here is what I do during the week in the Winter living in CA:

In both cases I arrived before dawn and caught the sunrise. In CO it was many times ~ 5-15 degrees. In CA it ranges from 45-60 and no snow. One is not necessarily better than the other, just different. I prefer the later, although didn't regret living in the Rocky Mountain state either. It's just a different way of life - with no ocean. That was a huge one for me.

But as others have mentioned there are more pulls to a state than even the weather or its natural beauty. There is an emotional draw based on family and one's life experiences like love for the sea and mountains for example. CO would have been perfect for us if it was within driving distance from the ocean.

Where else can you enjoy the mountains and sea in one state? Oh yeah, we almost moved there = the PNW. I mean we seriously considered it while living in CO, despite its political & economic mess. We even picked out a suburb of Portland and drove the streets looking at homes. But the more than often cloudy/dreary weather combined with greater distances from extended family drew us back to CA. On the other hand I worked with someone from Oregon originally who just moved back to the Promise Land to be nearer family and enjoy more affordable living. So for him and his family (wife & two children) it was the better choice. And he is conservative living in a very liberal area. But for he and his family that is in noise compared the benefits he reaps living there.

Derek
Fair points and I concur ... the thing is, as you state though.. you can find beauty anywhere if you look hard enough .. for instance :

Florida :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21078769@N00/5758965740/sizes/l/in/pool-338346@N21/ (broken link)

Lots of things factor into people's decisions as you say. Many people can be happy anywhere .. Family/friends/significant other definitely play a big roll for some ... If you are intending to find beauty in nature though, i think you will find it anywhere you go. There's a great diversity of it across the U.S and the world.

+1 rep point for a thoughtful and great response

Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,294,844 times
There's a theme in those photos that speaks to 'well-watered' plants.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM

950 posts, read 2,221,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't think native Californians realize what it is like to be stuck inside nine months out of the year due to dreary winters or very warm summers. Heating or air conditioning is required all but two or three months of the year.

Sure, you can put on coats and sweaters but it is pretty chilly, cold or rainy or cloudy an awful lot of the time from October to April. You can be outside but it isn't as nice as in sunny, 65F weather. Everything is wet and dead looking.

The environment of a lot of these "cheap places to live" looks it. Nothing goes into aesthetics, no landscaping in public or common areas, power lines and chain link fences everywhere, hodgepodge planning with a tire store next door to a restaurant next door to a preschool next door to two homes, next door to a factory, next door to a supermarket, etc. But people like it because it is "cheap". They work, come home, watch TV, go to church and eat in chain restaurants. Little to no diversity, few good ethnic restaurants or not a lot of choices and everything is closed on Sunday.

There

Here
This is so true. I have a friend who is a native Californian and has never been to the Midwest. For the life of her she cannot figure out why I am so miserable in Chicago. She has no idea what it is like to be stuck indoors with either the heat or A/C on 9 months out of the year. The winters are not only brutally cold, but the lack of natural beauty is impossible to accept when you know a better life exists. She has never experienced humidity or bugs like we have here. There are so few days that are actually pleasant enough to be outdoors and if you suffer from allergies, well those are shot too. It is one of those things that is really difficult to understand unless you have lived it.

Those photos you posted made my heart ache. I so badly want to come home, to California. DH finally started applying for jobs.

OP, California is worth it, to us. Once you go California, it is very difficult to live elsewhere because it always feels like you are settling for lesser than.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
As a geologist I get tired of the ignorant rubes saying "California will slip into the ocean". You folks really need to take a basic geology class because that's not what strike slip faults do.
My highly educated sister-in-law was told this by a college professor at the University of Michigan and she believes it beyond a shadow of a doubt. She thinks we were crazy to live in California and even crazier to want to return.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:46 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,367,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
OP, California is worth it, to us. Once you go California, it is very difficult to live elsewhere because it always feels like you are settling for lesser than.
Interesting! Perhaps it has been for you but it's never been difficult for me and I haven't felt that I've settled for less of what makes life enjoyable. Quite the contrary. I feel like I took a significant step forward by stepping back in time in some respects.

One size does not fit all!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 PM

Most of the people that I know who have lived in California and then move away, usually end up back in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California