U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,281,282 times

Advertisements

I'm from Illinois. If you never get out of the city of Chicago you won't experience the beauty of the midwest. There are many beautiful parks there and I miss it very much, and winter is not that bad if it is something you grew up with. It's part of life, and something most of us consider part of the quality of life. I love the midwest...and the storms are part of the beauty...

If you move to Chicago and don't meet the right people it would probably take a long time to figure out where recreational opportunities exist outside the city. But they are everywhere and I really miss it! I'm from the far north Chicago suburbs and I would get extremely claustrophobic living in the city after awhile, it's a lot different outside the city and you have to get out of there to breathe once in awhile.

It is suprising how terrified many Californians are of normal seasons which most parts of the world experience. Many of us are not meant to be in the sun year round and the winter months teach you to slow down and develop other hobbies and interests, it's hard to explain really. It can be depressing but in this world having to endure something and not just get instant gratification, well winter seems like something that might force people to remember they are ...after all only human and we can't control the weather. We just adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Interesting! Perhaps it has been for you but it's never been difficult for me and I haven't felt that I've settled for less of what makes life enjoyable. Quite the contrary. I feel like I took a significant step forward by stepping back in time in some respects.

One size does not fit all!
I hate to say it because I just moved (and my car already broken into, less than 48 hours) but I feel I'm settling by moving here. Winter? Come on winter is easy, especially in the midwest (compared to Spokane where summer is just a blip). Especially when you can afford to live. Not to mention Texas where I recently came from. Weather is not that big of an issue. It can be a hardship but it's not as terrifying as crime, horrible cost of living, taxes etc. Part of me wishes I could just go home but this is the reality I'm in now.

All that said, it seems to me the Sacramento area (where I first lived in CA) is a much easier place to make it and less of the CA problems compared to Southern California.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,880,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Most of the people that I know who have lived in California and then move away, usually end up back in California.
Anecdotally may be true (in your case) but not to the large poll of people who leave.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM

16,134 posts, read 20,762,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It sure has. It's going to have the sheeple pay more taxes and fees for fewer services and amenities and if they meekly submit to it yet again, wait until you see what they do next year.
So Californians are """Sheeple""" for paying their own bills and responsibility for their programs. Californians are used to more services and it is their right to have them.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,880,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So Californians are """Sheeple""" for paying their own bills and responsibility for their programs. Californians are used to more services and it is their right to have them.
No. Californians are sheeple for allowing politicians to load up the state w/ non-essential and sometimes unproductive services for the sake of satisfying special interest and overpaid unions to the ultimate point in which the longer term obligation exceeds any reasonable amount of taxation such that ultimately services get cut back to the bone and taxes remain as high as the ceiling such that a present generation gets nothing of the sort of 'services' for the insane taxes they pay.

And as responsible tax payers, you have every right to severely reduced services along w/ high taxes in order to pay your debtors who you made financial obligations to.

So cheers .. There are bond holders waiting for their monies.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,943,937 times
Wow! Is this the same thread I was in a couple of hours ago? Wha' happened?????

Anyway, I'm one of those who will return to Calif within a few years unless something goes really wrong to prevent it. I've lived in only three states ~ Calif, Texas, and now Oregon ~ that have totally different climates and cultures, and Calif's the only one I've really liked. Has it's problems, and it isn't for everyone (in fact I have a few very major issues with it, and tend to agree with alot of what yeahthatguy wrote in the post above). But I'll deal with it, just as I have here in Oregon for 33 years.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,374,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Most of the people that I know who have lived in California and then move away, usually end up back in California.
I was born there and have lived there and moved away many times thanks to schooling and Uncle Sam but I did end up back there where family was. However, my most recent move out was the last one and it is highly unlikely I'll ever move back, family notwithstanding.

As rgb intimated, perhaps you haven't really explored this other part of the country although, admittedly, where we are is more southern than Midwestern. Still, there's a lot of beauty around.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,374,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I hate to say it because I just moved (and my car already broken into, less than 48 hours) but I feel I'm settling by moving here. Winter? Come on winter is easy, especially in the midwest (compared to Spokane where summer is just a blip). Especially when you can afford to live. Not to mention Texas where I recently came from. Weather is not that big of an issue. It can be a hardship but it's not as terrifying as crime, horrible cost of living, taxes etc. Part of me wishes I could just go home but this is the reality I'm in now.

All that said, it seems to me the Sacramento area (where I first lived in CA) is a much easier place to make it and less of the CA problems compared to Southern California.
Sacramento is what we left and it's where the problems originate, compliments of the Legislature. But in some regards you're right. It is more civilized in some regards than many parts of SoCal, but not by much for the long-haul.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,801,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
winter is not that bad if it is something you grew up with. It's part of life, [The same could be said of leprosy I suppose.]

the winter months teach you to slow down and develop other hobbies and interests, [like sitting in front of the TV and eating pizza every day]

It can be depressing [and fire can be hot]

but in this world having to endure something [isn't noble if you can change]

winter seems like something that might force people to remember they are ...after all only human and we can't control the weather. We just adapt.[or move to places that aren't miserable and that are comfortable to live]

My comments in "Rose misses the second free throw at the end of game 5" red.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:35 PM

I know it's hard to believe....but some people love winter. And some of us just feel it is a 'right' part of life, the change of seasons.

Ever heard of Scandinavia? You know those Swedes, Finns and Danes could have probably settled about anywhere in the US. There is a reason they are heavily concentrated in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California