Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,741,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Macy's could never make it there. Is there a JC Penney in the area? They would be step up from Walmart.
Believe it or not you can have a Wal-Mart and a Macy's in the same city. The income in Atascadero is high and it would get the most population because it's location is between SLO, Morro Bay, and Paso. Where as SLO would draw from Morro and Five Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Macy's doesn't belong in Atascadero. Wal-Mart doesn't belong in Atascadero. Galaxy Theatres was essentially replacing the old movie theatre they tore down a few years back....nothing new.

I wish Atascadero would nurture it's locally owned businesses a little more instead of chains moving it.

We don't need anymore big chains. Leave that crap to Paso.
There won't be anymore local businesses if you can't get people to shop here in the first place.

People shop at Wal-Mart and save money for other places and have more money to shop at local places.

If Macy's went into Colony Square, Wal-Mart went in and we got Best Buy and some eateries, then man would be Atascadero be a happening place.

Atascadero is now like a bedroom community you will typically find in suburban San Francisco, OC, or LA. Boxy homes, boxy stores, and chains are typical. If people want local businesses go to SLO, Arroyo Grande, Templeton, or the big one Cambria!

And even more so that Atascadero is pro-business. It's councilmembers are mostly conservative and the town swings that way too.

Last edited by the city; 05-31-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,594,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
There won't be anymore local businesses if you can't get people to shop here in the first place.

People shop at Wal-Mart and save money for other places and have more money to shop at local places.

If Macy's went into Colony Square, Wal-Mart went in and we got Best Buy and some eateries, then man would be Atascadero be a happening place.

Atascadero is now like a bedroom community you will typically find in suburban San Francisco, OC, or LA. Boxy homes, boxy stores, and chains are typical. If people want local businesses go to SLO, Arroyo Grande, Templeton, or the big one Cambria!

And even more so that Atascadero is pro-business. It's councilmembers are mostly conservative and the town swings that way too.
Atascadero is becoming uglier and uglier as the years go by. The more big box stores they put in, the less likely me and my friends are going to be shopping there. People live in Atascadero for the same reason they live in Templeton... The fact that it's a cute little rural community. Leave the sprawl to Paso and leave Atascadero alone.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Atascadero is becoming uglier and uglier as the years go by. The more big box stores they put in, the less likely me and my friends are going to be shopping there. People live in Atascadero for the same reason they live in Templeton... The fact that it's a cute little rural community. Leave the sprawl to Paso and leave Atascadero alone.
I think people live in Atascadero for affordability and good location to jobs. Who really has the pleasure to live in a community for it's rural feeling? Most cities around have a rural feeling anyways.

Macy's in Colony Square will not create sprawl. And Wal-Mart and that area is expanding onto to a current shopping center.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 15,062 times
Huge box stores with huge parking lots in front, are pretty ugly things, the Madonna Plaza or Costco/Home Depot mess in SLO are pretty darned ugly compared to the tree lined shopping in Down town SLO or Paso Robles.

Pretty easy to see what model Atascdero should follow

Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ,highnlite View Post
Huge box stores with huge parking lots in front, are pretty ugly things, the Madonna Plaza or Costco/Home Depot mess in SLO are pretty darned ugly compared to the tree lined shopping in Down town SLO or Paso Robles.

Who cares about beauty. I only go to downtowns and shopping centers for business. If I want beauty then I go hiking.

And the SHIELD Atascadero iniative failed utterly. It's obvious people want retail development. Too bad Wal-Mart did not just go on the ballot. For sure Wal-Mart would have had an easier time getting into Atascadero.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,988,437 times
Moderator cut: image removed

Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM

297 posts, read 400,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ,highnlite View Post

They should follow both models just like Paso and SLO do currently. Problem with Atascadero is that it has neither a tree lined downtown area nor large plazas with big box stores. Part of Atascadero's problem is that their is a junior high right smack where more small retail stores should be preventing the growth of a nice downtown area.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,594,895 times
Quote:
Who cares about beauty. I only go to downtowns and shopping centers for business. If I want beauty then I go hiking.

And the SHIELD Atascadero iniative failed utterly. It's obvious people want retail development. Too bad Wal-Mart did not just go on the ballot. For sure Wal-Mart would have had an easier time getting into Atascadero.
A lot of people care about beauty and aesthetics... You live in a town that doesn't have any giant shopping centers so you get to experience natural beauty all the time.. But even though you may only come to visit, you have to realize that people LIVE there. I see it as no different than the a-holes who come from Fresno and Bakersfield to destroy out beautiful coast every weekend during the summer. Yeah, it's fun for you, but the locals don't get to leave their crap behind, we stay here. Don't ruin my town so you can get a few hours of shopping in a year.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 587,143 times
Quote:
Believe it or not you can have a Wal-Mart and a Macy's in the same city. The income in Atascadero is high and it would get the most population because it's location is between SLO, Morro Bay, and Paso. Where as SLO would draw from Morro and Five Cities.
I know about Macy's and Walmart being in the same city. I live in Santa Maria where we have both and they (Macy's) seems to be bearly holding on. I don't know how a city with the population your size can carry it. I understand you have the surrounding communities that would go to the store, so do we but with the everything so spread out most people won't travel such distances once it gets dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California