U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,862,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, but the difference is that the chains in downtown SLO match the town fairly decently. Considering there is no downtown (and the one they're working on really isn't large enough to handle giant stores) in Atascadero, it would just end up being sprawl.

Sure, Wal Mart will generate some money, but is it really worth the increased traffic, increased crime and destruction of open land? Plus, my parents live near where the proposed Wal Mart supercenter was supposed to go in and they would probably move out of the area if it happened. It would destroy their home value and increase traffic far too much around where they reside.

It might be nice for you since you live in Templeton and can go back home to somewhere nice and quiet. You do realize people have to LIVE in Atascadero, right? I prefer to go shopping elsewhere and come home to a nice, quiet house.
I live near Trader Joes and live with the noise and traffic from Trader Joes. I'm dealing with it.

Atascadero can handle having chains in their downtown and it will not turn into sprawl.

SLO is not different than Atascadero in having chains in their downtown.

Besides there is some distance from the Wal-Mart from the homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 PM

And btw, it's no longer a Super Wal-Mart. It's at 123,000 sq. ft. roughly. And not even going to be a 24-7 place.

Colony Square is an outdoor aka lifestyle center. There are going to be national retailers going in. The place they are considering putting the department store is buying out the motel spot. I don't know which department store will go there.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM

A list of retailers I would like to see in Atascadero are:

Bloomingdale's Outlet store at The Annex
Gottschalk's by Levy, Von Maur, Dillards, Bon-Ton, or Macy's somewhere in town
Trader Joes relocating to Atascadero
PacSun, Gap, Express, Banana Republic, and others in Colony Square

and Chrysler taking over the old Mitsubishi car dealership.

Last edited by the city; 06-08-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Okay I take back everything I was saying Atascadero needs.

But what Atascadero needs is:

a large employer like Kaiser Permanete, Well Point, or a technology firm
a population of 40,000 or more from more people moving here from a new employer
if not Trader Joes, another organic market like New Frontier's in Atascadero
some good restaurants in Colony Square like Olive Garden, Chipotle, Apple Bee's, and/or Panera Bread
Best Buy next to the Wal-Mart Supercenter

I feel Macy's would be better suited for Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:47 PM

168 posts, read 472,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Okay I take back everything I was saying Atascadero needs.

But what Atascadero needs is:

a large employer like Kaiser Permanete, Well Point, or a technology firm
Ok... how do you propose that? If you look at the City's Land Use Plan, there are not enough parcels large enough to support a large employment hub such as these businesses you name. Also, the City lacks infrastructure needed to support these businesses. So how do you propose Atown pay for it?

Quote:
a population of 40,000 or more from more people moving here from a new employer
Why 40,000? The City's General Plan doesn't even plan for 36,000!?! Again, where do they go, how do they get water/sewer/schools. It is not as simple as build it and they will come. The City like Paso has a ton of paper lots. They City didn't even grow at the growth rate anticipated by the General Plan for 2010.

Quote:
if not Trader Joes, another organic market like New Frontier's in Atascadero
some good restaurants in Colony Square like Olive Garden, Chipotle, Apple Bee's, and/or Panera Bread
Best Buy next to the Wal-Mart Supercenter

I feel Macy's would be better suited for Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo.
Getting construction loans is tough these days. Have you seen Colony Square? Tough enough to attract quality tenants. Sorry, but the traffic, and population targets are just not there to support these types of businesses. The City knows this, developers know it, and these companies know it. that's why it doesn't happen. Companies are very very strict on the franchising these types of places. If you don't meet the criteria, than you just don't get to do it. Maybe you can talk to Keshawn Jackson and lobby for a panera in Atown... All the does is catch touchdowns yanno

Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
Ok... how do you propose that? If you look at the City's Land Use Plan, there are not enough parcels large enough to support a large employment hub such as these businesses you name. Also, the City lacks infrastructure needed to support these businesses. So how do you propose Atown pay for it?
I have talked to people who work in the city government and there are some plots of land in the city that could fit a mid-range company that could hire around 500 workers. Lacks infrastructure? The city has land where transportation and internet are and where the utilities are. Do not sprout incorrect information. Look at the new library and the expansion east of Colony Square.

Why 40,000? The City's General Plan doesn't even plan for 36,000!?! Again, where do they go, how do they get water/sewer/schools. It is not as simple as build it and they will come. The City like Paso has a ton of paper lots. They City didn't even grow at the growth rate anticipated by the General Plan for 2010.
Atascadero has plans to expand Dove Creek, Eagle Ranch, and there is still more land in South Atascadero where more housing could go. Some of these projects are not included in the city's general plan for population, but the council supports changing the general plan to allow for more population.

Getting construction loans is tough these days. Have you seen Colony Square? Tough enough to attract quality tenants. Sorry, but the traffic, and population targets are just not there to support these types of businesses. The City knows this, developers know it, and these companies know it. that's why it doesn't happen. Companies are very very strict on the franchising these types of places. If you don't meet the criteria, than you just don't get to do it. Maybe you can talk to Keshawn Jackson and lobby for a panera in Atown... All the does is catch touchdowns yanno

Colony Square is a reflection of the economy and there is alot of interest for new businesses to open at Colony Square. And Colony Square will attract other tenets as the city expands.

The good part about Atascadero is you have a pro-business council. You have a new bridge and gathering plaza going downtown, an expansion to the Del Rio shopping center, and you have growth planned on the south end of Atascadero.

And the suburban development on the south and north end of Atascadero is great! Golden Hills Plaza in Paso is washed up. All the quality tenets will locate in Colony Square and next to Wal-Mart.

Oh and your question about schools...Atascadero High has an enrollment of 1,600 students. North County Christian has about 150 students. There is a possibility of expanding the fine arts academy to include high school. So I feel there is room for our current schools to take more enrollment and also I think Eagle Ranch had plans for an elementary school.
Read above.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Did some more research. Atascadero can't fit a business of more than 250. But businesses 250 and smaller are planned in an industrial area off Traffic Way.

Again, Dove Creek and Eagle Ranch and future housing developments are planned on the south end of town. Dove Creek Commons and elementary shcool are planned in this area.

The Wal-Mart Super Center, 3 big box stores, and several chain restaurants are planned in the Del Rio shopping center expansion.

A bridge over Atascadero Creek and public gathering plaza are planned in downtown. Several small apparel chains and chain restaurants are planned to open 5 years down the road in Colony Square. Colony Square encompasses 200,000 sq. ft. which includes city hall, the movie theater, and 80,000 sq. ft. retail.

The city next year is also going to amend the general plan to increase the population threshold.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,212,124 times
Quote:
The city next year is also going to amend the general plan to increase the population threshold.
Pretty soon it will be the Fresno of the coast.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM

19,126 posts, read 26,592,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Pretty soon it will be the Fresno of the coast.
Yep. And boy am I glad I bailed out of there before all this crap happens. It's sad seeing the once cute and family oriented town I grew up in turn into a boring, generic, consumerist 'city'. I'm only hoping I moved far enough into the rural part of slo to keep myself safe for a while.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM

168 posts, read 472,025 times
Quote:

Ummm no they aren't. There is no "threshold" it is just a population projection in order to calculate infrastructure needs based on an average density and dwelling unit formula as well as potential commercial growth. The only inhibitors to growth as with most communities is the pooper plant (wastewater treatment) and water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California