U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,422,351 times

Advertisements

I'll try this board first:
Can someone suggest the cheapest way to get to Oahu, Hawaii? Yes, I know swimming is it (yes, ha! ha! very funny), but has someone gone there lately and can suggest a way to get there that is moneysaving?
I will drive or fly from Phoenix to either LA or San Diego (figuring that is where the boat or flight leaves from in California), and then what do I take? A flight or is there some boat? Any particular travel agencies or places I should call for rates there?
Just trying to save some money on getting there is all. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,310,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I'll try this board first:
Can someone suggest the cheapest way to get to Oahu, Hawaii? Yes, I know swimming is it (yes, ha! ha! very funny), but has someone gone there lately and can suggest a way to get there that is moneysaving?
I will drive or fly from Phoenix to either LA or San Diego (figuring that is where the boat or flight leaves from in California), and then what do I take? A flight or is there some boat? Any particular travel agencies or places I should call for rates there?
Just trying to save some money on getting there is all. Any suggestions?
Flight. No boat.

Phoenix to Las Vegas to Oakland/San Francisco then on to Hawaii will probably be the cheapest. The more stops you make and the more planes you change the cheaper your flight usually becomes. What is your budget is what you need to start with. Also the window of time in which you purchase your ticket is important. not to early and not to late. Flying a overnight red eye can also be cheaper

Old 06-01-2011, 01:44 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,296,680 times
There are boat options, but, depending on the size of the boat, it may take a while to get there. You can crew on board, and you may not need to have any skill prior to setting sail. Just go on a sailing forum online and you'll get plenty of responses and possibly offers. There are a few dedicated sites for crewing and a google search will help in finding these.

That said....most people take the airlines.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:52 PM

15,284 posts, read 17,689,196 times
Join our U.S.Navy. It only takes 10 days to get from San Diego to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, aboard an LST.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 PM

32,255 posts, read 54,960,967 times
If you know anyone who works for an airline, you might be able to ask them for buddy passes which is a discounted ticket that you can use(To Hawaii from CA buddy passes run around $200 round trip).

The only caveat---you will only be able to fly if there is an available seat on the plane. If its sold out over overbooked, then your outta luck. Also it depends on the seniority of the person who gave you tickets. Employees with greater seniority or people they give tickets to will get priority.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,106,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Flight. No boat.

Phoenix to Las Vegas to Oakland/San Francisco then on to Hawaii will probably be the cheapest. The more stops you make and the more planes you change the cheaper your flight usually becomes. What is your budget is what you need to start with. Also the window of time in which you purchase your ticket is important. not to early and not to late. Flying a overnight red eye can also be cheaper
Not necessarily so ... When I've tried booking flights, it seems that direct flights were cheaper versus changing planes ... Plus, how much time will be wasted in airports eating expensive airport food?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,310,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Not necessarily so ... When I've tried booking flights, it seems that direct flights were cheaper versus changing planes ... Plus, how much time will be wasted in airports eating expensive airport food?
The OP said cheap not time effcient. I stated on average. Of course you can find good deals for any type of flight depending on all sorts of conditions.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 PM

965 posts, read 2,612,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I will drive or fly from Phoenix to either LA or San Diego (figuring that is where the boat or flight leaves from in California),
False economy. By the time you've paid for the gas to drive there, the expensive highway food you'll consume along the way, and airport parking for...what...a week?...you'll be way past the price you would have paid on a good fare from Phoenix to Honolulu with a single connection in Oakland, SF or L.A. (I know of several cases where passengers actually had to pay more for their parking than they paid for their airfare). Check the ads in the travel section of the Arizona Republic on Sundays for specials.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:07 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,097,751 times
Find a carrier that is based at one of the regional airports, then compare prices.

I compared prices to Hawaii last January. The best I came up with at the time was Hawaiian Airlines out of Sacramento. Comparable airports like San Diego and Portland were priced within $30 of Sacramento's rates. That is hardly enough to worry about when you consider the travel expenses getting to the cheapest airport.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,160,658 times
OK, I had a snarky post all written up, but re-reading the original request I now get the sense that the poster really doesn't know much about travel and is asking an honest question.

If you're concerned about saving money, you need to look at the big picture. Really, the only passenger boat service these days are cruise ships, the days of ocean liners are long gone. Even assuming you get a great fare, aA boat is going to take about a week to get to Hawaii and you're going to need to eat and drink that whole time, right? That's not free either. Plus bas for driving to the coast, parking your car in a long-term lot, etc.

You're going to have to fly, the question is out of what airport. There are dozens of daily direct flights from Bay Area airports (Oakland, San Jose, SF), but again gas and parking are going to kill you. Research your local airport and see if there are any direct flights, you might be lucky.

One of the best tools for finding cheap airfare is travelocity.com, because it gives you two powerful search options.
If you know exactly what days you're need to fly on, click "check surrounding airports" and it'll search for lower fares using aiports up to (I think) 50 miles away. Even better, just click "flexible dates" and it'll show you the lowest airfare available for the next 3 months - there are a lot of terms and conditions on those fares so it's not guaranteed you can take advantage of them, but it's a good place to start researching.

Just remember that taxes and surcharges are NOT included so the final bill will be a couple hundred $$$ higher than what they show at first.

Last edited by gone down south; 06-02-2011 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or