U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,882,178 times

Advertisements

Amazon Tax Bill Passes State Assembly | NBC Los Angeles
The broke beast continues its search for revenue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 AM

30,542 posts, read 33,359,059 times
I hope not.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,102,756 times
This is really comical when you think about it. There have been multiple court rulings stating one state can't force a business in another state to collect taxes.

And I really don't think all that much is lost in sales tax revenue. I think anyone who is smart enough to do the math can figure out shipping costs from out of state companies can cost more than what they will save in sales taxes. Besides, many of the best deals on the internet come from companies located in California.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:28 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,306,624 times
Why shouldn't Amazon pay taxes? Every other book store has to pay taxes so why should online retailers receive an unfair advantage over brick and mortar stores?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:40 AM

25,631 posts, read 30,336,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
This is really comical when you think about it. There have been multiple court rulings stating one state can't force a business in another state to collect taxes.

And I really don't think all that much is lost in sales tax revenue. I think anyone who is smart enough to do the math can figure out shipping costs from out of state companies can cost more than what they will save in sales taxes. Besides, many of the best deals on the internet come from companies located in California.
Wrong. I have on many occasions saved money buying from out of state vendors with free shipping rather than buying from local brick and mortar or California based web companies.

I have also purchased items and had them delivered to stores just over the border for pickup timed for when I head over to Nevada. All perfectly legal and saves me tons of money even after figuring in gas money wear and tear that I would have spent anyway going to Reno or Vegas. Thats what happens in a repressive tax environment the stifles commerce where it should be located. Locally. But hey keep voting for those idiot *******s running things there in Sacramento.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,008,284 times
There are plenty of California based online retailers that other states could start dinging for sales tax collection. The state legislature needs to let sleeping dogs like.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,926,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Why shouldn't Amazon pay taxes? Every other book store has to pay taxes so why should online retailers receive an unfair advantage over brick and mortar stores?
Actually, the blame lies with the consumers looking for ways save extra money when shopping around. People aren't consciously responsible by keeping records of out-of-state purchases to pay the Use Tax.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,923,466 times
All this law will do is cut jobs from all the CA based affiliates who do business with AMZN. Much like with other states who have tried to go after AMZN in a similar capacity, it just results in net loss of jobs and nothing else. They will just fire all the affiliates, and good game California.

It is not AMZN's fault or the consumers that CA has a volatile tax structure comprised of income taxes heavily dependent on boom time capital gains revenue, sales tax which increasingly becomes dependent on illegally getting out of state vendors to comply and car taxes/registration which is hard to enforce.

A 21st century tax structure is all about ease of compliance, IMO. CA is like the RIAA and MPAA, trying to sue their way out of debt/irrelevance. Good luck with that. Instead, come up with a business model that actaully works.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,882,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
All this law will do is cut jobs from all the CA based affiliates who do business with AMZN. Much like with other states who have tried to go after AMZN in a similar capacity, it just results in net loss of jobs and nothing else. They will just fire all the affiliates, and good game California.

It is not AMZN's fault or the consumers that CA has a volatile tax structure comprised of income taxes heavily dependent on boom time capital gains revenue, sales tax which increasingly becomes dependent on illegally getting out of state vendors to comply and car taxes/registration which is hard to enforce.

A 21st century tax structure is all about ease of compliance, IMO. CA is like the RIAA and MPAA, trying to sue their way out of debt/irrelevance. Good luck with that. Instead, come up with a business model that actaully works.
Another Economic Disappointment: Initial Claims At 422K On Expectations Of 417K

The 4-week moving average was 425,500, a decrease of 14,000 from the previous week's revised average of 439,500, now that the outlier whopper from a month ago drops out of the moving average. The states with the biggest increase in claims was California, with +7,053 layoffs in the service industry. Continuing claims were also higher than expectations of 3,675K, printing at 3,711K, but, you guessed it, it is a drop from the prevoius number which was revised from 3,690 to, wait for it, 3,712K. Those rolling off benefits and hitting the 99 week cliff naturally gets bigger and bigger as the depression progresses, with 5k less under EUCs and Extended Benefits programs.

Yeah, keep it up Cali ! My theory is playing out just as I had expected.
Non-farm payroll #'s tomorrow : Economic Calendar: Financial Calendars - Yahoo! Finance

Going to be an exciting day in markets.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,102,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Wrong. I have on many occasions saved money buying from out of state vendors with free shipping rather than buying from local brick and mortar or California based web companies.

I have also purchased items and had them delivered to stores just over the border for pickup timed for when I head over to Nevada. All perfectly legal and saves me tons of money even after figuring in gas money wear and tear that I would have spent anyway going to Reno or Vegas. Thats what happens in a repressive tax environment the stifles commerce where it should be located.
Perhaps it is the difference between what you and I buy over the internet. I usually buy electronics and horticultural items. I've found the difference between paying taxes and shipping in and out of state in my favour most of the time. Additionally, many places offer free or discounted shipping for purchases of higher amounts. I realize Amazon does this, but every time I've attempted to take advantage of free shipping through Amazon they had some loophole that disqualified their free shipping offer. And really, I don't think it is the matter of sales taxes or not. It is the final price. A huge online-only warehouse is going to have a huge advantage in the cost of overhead that few local retailers are going to have the ability to compete with.

Quote:
But hey keep voting for those idiot *******s running things there in Sacramento.
What is the problem here? Every time you have replied to one of my posts it has been in an aggressive tone, as if you have some personal issue with me. And if you are addressing me personally, that is quite the accusation from someone who knows nothing about me. I can't remember the last time I voted for a Democrat or a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California