U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,062 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. Just found this forum. I have lived in my apartment for 2.5 years and have been a good tenant but my health is failing rapidly. I have severe nerve damage in my legs and there is no disabled access to our building. To complicate the issue the elevator is frequently non-functioning, sometimes for days. I've done some 'Net research on this situation and haven't found anything that gives me hope that I can get out of this lease on hardship. I haven't spoken with management yet. I'd like to be armed with some knowledge before hand. We have a management company that is suddenly turning very hardcore. The company has actually violated EEOC and ADA regs in other parts of the country so my gut feeling is that they're not going to be open to just letting me limp away from here without paying for the duration of the lease. I don't want to just bail and end up in court and/or having my rental history damaged. Does anyone have experience with this issue or can suggest some steps to proceed in a way that satisfies both parties?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,300,335 times
I don't know what to tell you, but I'm sure there's a lawyer out there salivating over the possibilities with your situation.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM

965 posts, read 2,613,079 times
Absent a death-and-disability clause in the language of the lease itself, there isn't any provision of civil law that would give you hardship grounds for absolving you of your contractual obligations without penalty. Even if you died, your estate could be held liable for paying out the remainder of your lease.

The best hope is to try and negotiate with the landlord. Don't make any demands, and expect to pay a penalty of some sort. Explain the situation and ask what the penalty would be for an early termination with a 30-day notice. How many months remain on your current lease?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:40 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,369,315 times
Maybe try to find a new tenant for them, I think that is usually how it works when a tenant needs to break a lease.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 PM

7,688 posts, read 25,615,123 times
My suggestion is to first ask for accommodation. Maybe they have a building with ramps and elevators in another part of town where they can move you. If they cannot accommodate you, then get in touch with a lawyer. You don't want armchair advice here - the ADA is a very complicated issue and you need an expert to understand your rights.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 AM
LDH

168 posts, read 520,653 times
You might find something here... Disability Laws and Regulations | California Disability Access Information

You might also contact the city hall in the town you live in and ask if they have any info for your city/county as far as accomadations for persons with disabilities in leased housing.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 AM

26,579 posts, read 52,064,513 times
I tend to look at the big picture...

My guess is your lease will be up for renewal in a few months and then the ball is in your court.

There is a lot of misunderstanding as to ADA... I'm not a lawyer and no expert by any means... I have had several tenants that requested ADA accommodations... some were very simple... adding a handrail or changing faucet handles which I gladly undertook.

Others wanted me to widen doorways and build ramps at single family homes or install barrier free showers...

My response was they could have these modification made, using licensed contractors with city permits at their expense and I reserve the right to return the premise to pre-modification status at their expense...

Most had no idea the true cost and time involved...

The one person that was wheel chair bound as a result of being hit by a drunk driver was given the option to move without penalty with no notice necessary...

It would seem a person that now requires an Elevator as the only means to access their home would have reasonable grounds to ask for consideration if said elevator has been out of service for "X" number of days...

Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or