Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:25 AM

642 posts, read 3,064,023 times

Advertisements

How great to earn an academic fellowship at UCSB. You smarty!! You are going to need those brains to handle all those girls. LOL. Colorado is beautiful country and if I was not such an ocean lover, I would seriously consider a move to that area for a variety of reasons. Even though Santa Barbara and also the Point Mugu area are very nice, I can see with the housing pricing and other 'California issues' how one would move to other areas to raise their children.

Regarding the walkability issue, it should be interesting to see how SB and the state of California solves Santa Barbara's transportation issues for the commuters. Sounds as though they had an opportunity awhile back (probably around the time you were there) to widen the freeway, which was stopped because trees would have to be taken out etc, and now people want it widened (many) and the state is more interested in alternatives to widening as they do not believe in the long term it does much to solve the problem (ala southern California).

They are looking more into trains, boats, carpooling, buses etc. Should be interesting. I personally would like to see the use of ferries up and down the coast. Having lived in Seattle for over a decade I have found this to be a lovely and efficient way to commute and feel it could really cool some of the heat happening on the freeways (rage) and bring relief to obvious congestion issues. Of course a lot would need to happen to make this realistic from a land and traffic persective in SB to make ferry service a manageable and value added endeavor. Just curious if something like this would work for the Oxnard crowd (ferries). For them it would be cool to see some sort of light rail, yet, I can't imagine where it would go next to the freeway in some areas. No one would want to cut off the views to the ocean, nor cut into mountain or rock. Most importantly I guess the calm views are what keep this from happening. That is one thing that makes SB and the freeways surrounding it so amazing.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Actually, I had a home in Moorpark and worked at Point Mugu and I received an academic fellowship to UCSB (1994-96). I lived at the Santa Ynez graduate student housing at El Colegio & Los Carneros and rented out my Moorpark home. I have three little girls with a fourth on the way so we needed and wanted more room. Plus there are more jobs per traffic minute and per capita in Colorado than in Southern California. Also, the housing costs to salary ratio is about one third too. The same job I do here would pay me a whopping 8.6% more in El Segundo (I checked).

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 08-09-2007 at 02:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 AM

You make a very good point that I wasn't aware of. There is a lot more shopping to be had elsewhere!! I hadn't even thought of people going to those places to shop, but it makes perfect sense. In fact I was eyeballing those malls and outlets as my husband and I last drove up to SB as a possible alternative to SB. It didn't really become conscious though until you mentioned this. I bet they make loads off the Santa Barbarans! LOL.

Thanks so much for the tips. By the way, I laughed when I realized I spelled Saks, Sax. Tells you how often I shop there aye? I may just have to hand back my Brentwood membership card! :-) I guess I will anyway when I move to SB/Goleta. So no biggy.

By the way, Stephanie54. It looks like if you make friends with cars you may be able to explore the areas cre8 recommended and ride your bike elsewhere (unless you are massive power long distance biker.).

I don't think they have buses going back and forth from those areas to SB, or do they? Hopefully several somethings will materialize as a solution for the people commuting from other areas to work in SB soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
You're correct, fairweathergolfer, there are shopping opportunities and department stores in SB/Goleta. I didn't mean to imply that there were none. And as you point out, Goleta has even accepted "bix box" stores. (Didn't Target try but fail to open a store in Goleta or SB somewhere?) Mainly what I was getting at is that one finds more variety and bigger stores as you go south. And though I didn't mention it, part of what I was considering is that a big part of Ventura County's retail revenue comes from Santa Barbara County residents, i.e. Pacific View Mall, Camarillo Outlet Centers, Esplanade, car dealers, etc. I lived in Carpinteria for a time where my neighbors and I often found ourselves in Ventura or Oxnard for this, that and the other.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,039,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post

Regarding the walkability issue, it should be interesting to see how SB and the state of California solves Santa Barbara's transportation issues for the commuters. Sounds as though they had an opportunity awhile back...to widen the freeway....

They are looking more into trains, boats, carpooling, buses etc. ... I personally would like to see the use of ferries up and down the coast. Having lived in Seattle for over a decade I have found this to be a lovely and efficient way to commute and feel it could really cool some of the heat happening on the freeways (rage) and bring relief to obvious congestion issues. .... Just curious if something like this would work for the Oxnard crowd (ferries). For them it would be cool to see some sort of light rail, yet, I can't imagine where it would go next to the freeway in some areas. No one would want to cut off the views to the ocean, nor cut into mountain or rock. Most importantly I guess the calm views are what keep this from happening. That is one thing that makes SB and the freeways surrounding it so amazing.

Thoughts?
After the La Conchita landslide, when the freeway and railroad were impassible for a month, there was a water service running from Ventura Harbor (?) to Sterns Warf or Santa Barbara Harbor. I heard that people were getting seasick. The Santa Barbara Channel can be rough. Then again, the boats were not as big as the ferries around Seattle.

Freeway widening is a hot issue in SB. There isn't much space along the coast, and it's expensive. Some people worry that widening won't solve the traffic issue, anyway, since more lanes invite more cars (i.e. I-405). It does seem a shame to erode a beautiful coastline with concrete and cars when it might not help long term. Understandably, all options must be considered.

From what I hear, there's a rail study underway considering Metrolink commuter trains between Camarillo and Goleta. Not sure where this stands. SB COAST might have updates: COAST: Coalition for Sustainable Transportation, Santa Barbara County.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
After the La Conchita landslide, when the freeway and railroad were impassible for a month, there was a water service running from Ventura Harbor (?) to Sterns Warf or Santa Barbara Harbor. I heard that people were getting seasick. The Santa Barbara Channel can be rough. Then again, the boats were not as big as the ferries around Seattle.
I do not remember the freeway closing at all. In fact neither landslide (1995, 2005) reached the freeway.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:24 PM

Charles, are you kidding? To be fair, there were several slides that morning. Some went all the way to the ocean and had motorists trapped in one spot between Bates Road and Mussel Shoals, with mud north and south of them.

People were stuck in SB for a week, while others couldn't get to work. SB stores were even getting low on items because deliveries were practically halted completely.

To add insult to injury, at about the same time, the Piru Dam overflowed, which along with another slide near Fillmore closed Hwy 126. Jan/Feb 05 was a complete disaster!

Some people were traveling between Ventura and Santa Barbara by way of Encino on the 101, the Grapevine on I-5, Paso Robles on Hwy 46, then back and south on the 101.

How can anyone locally not remember this?
Pacific Coast Business Times | Transportation | Closed roads divide region, wreak havoc (broken link)

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-09-2007 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Charles, are you kidding? The '05 landslide had motorists trapped in one spot between Bates Road and Mussel Shoals, with mud north and south of them. The slide went all the way to the ocean! People were stuck in SB for a week, while others couldn't get to work. SB stores were even getting low on items because deliveries were interrupted.

To add insult to injury, at about the same time, the Piru Dam overflowed, which along with another slide near Fillmore closed Hwy 126. Jan/Feb 05 was a complete disaster!

Some people were traveling between Ventura and Santa Barbara by way of Encino on the 101, the Grapevine on I-5, Paso Robles on Hwy 46, then back and south on the 101.

How can anyone locally not remember this?
I'm sure you are correct. Forgive me, but I just don't remember the slide(s) you are referring to. I was referring to the two (1995 & 2005) La Conchita slides - you mentioned La Conchita. I remember the 1995 slide vividly. I think the 2005 slide was the one that killed the wife and kids of the guy with dreadlocks????

Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm sure you are correct. Forgive me, but I just don't remember the slide(s) you are referring to. I was referring to the two (1995 & 2005) La Conchita slides - you mentioned La Conchita. I remember the 1995 slide vividly. I think the 2005 slide was the one that killed the wife and kids of the guy with dreadlocks????
No prob. Forgive my outburst, but it was total chaos and tragedy in the area, Jan/Feb 05. It was also Jan 05 that Metrolink Ventura County had that horrendous multi-fatality accident. Memories of those days are burned into my brain.

Yes, dreadlocks guy. Same slide.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,701 times
I positive that the 101 was closed. It was closed between Ventura & Carpinteria. Also, the 154 to SB was closed. As was the 33. And the railroad. The only way to get to Santa Barbara at the time from Ventura was to take the 101 to the 5 North to the 166 West and come down the 101. My girlfriend had to do that commute.

According to the Daily Nexus, the mud was up to 10 feet deep.
http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=8601 (broken link)

Here are some pictures of all lanes of the 101 closed with mud, a La Conchita. The 2nd picture is of the 101 freeway. The whole thing is under that mud.

http://img149.exs.cx/img149/4061/hwy1016sh.jpg http://www.laconchita.net/assets/images/r01.jpg http://www.dailynexus.com/asset.php?m=8601&a=4388 (broken link) http://www.laconchita.net/assets/images/rr01.jpg

There's a bunch more at: [url]http://www.laconchita.net/photos.htm[/url]

Last edited by cody666; 03-17-2009 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 PM

Wow. Thank you Cody666 for posting these pictures and the link. There is no question of the geographical impact of the last landslide on 101 and the railway. I had a friend in Santa Monica that lost family in this slide. It was a real tragedy. Appreciate the visual exclamation point.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 PM

723 posts, read 1,628,731 times
There are also some interesting things that you can visit that are very close to the North and West of Goleta. The La Purisima Mission is right before Lumpock, and Nojoqui Falls and the Danish town of Solvang are close by. There are also several wine vineyards in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California